• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmet Age - Do they "expire"?

My helmet is at 5 years next year... I plan on replacing it around then...

Even if the styrofoam doesn't off gas and it's just the manufactures looking for more money, the padding inside the helmet is wearing down, it's got nicks and scratches in it from small stones, and big bugs over the years, it's seen better days, and while the technology might not have improved greatly, I'm willing to spend more on a nicer helmet (thinking neotech for the glasses friendly reasons mentioned earlier here).

My wife's helmet is my mom's old helmet, it's maybe 8-9 years old... but not nearly as heavily used... so the interior padding is in slightly better shape than mine and since it's always been a passenger helmet it has seen a lot less insect and road debris contact, I think that one needs to be replaced too.... but I need to convince my wife that her head is worth protecting... (Shouldn't be so hard since her head is the pretty one, and the one that is always right...)

I mentioned above that my Shoei Multitec was manufactured in 2008. I have now found out the date when I purchased it from a reputable shop. It was purchased new from them in its original packaging in 2011. As such it was already almost three years old when purchased. Anyone got views on this situation ? What is certain is that when I next purchase I will be looking for the Manufacturing date ! Many thanks to the OP for posting this thread.

this is stuff i don't sweat. like others have mentioned, when the helmet no longer has a great fit and shows some other signs of its incept date drawing nigh...

thumbnailImage.jpg

Pending you're in the USA, the helmet must meat a D.O.T. code. You can look up the DOT and Helmet requirements to find out your answer. I would think the current materials used today are far better than those 12 yrs. ago. For most helmets, if they are dropped hard, been involved in an accident where the helmet hit the ground/pavement, etc., they are to be disposed of. Fiberglass and/or PVC material helmets can be tested by pushing the two sides toward each other and look for fine hairline cracks. This applies to work hardhats also. Being your helmet is 12 yrs old, I would opt for a newer helmet. Just make sure it meets the D.O.T. code or the D.O.T. and European code. I personally use a Modular helmet. My first modular helmet was involved in a wreck where the helmet didn't hit the ground but the face shield did and scraped it at an angle over half of the shield area. I still have the helmet with a new face shield but purchased a new helmet anyway.

The styrofoam (EPS) liner technology in helmets has not changed noticeably in a very long time. Frankly, neither has shell tech. There are some interesting technologies out there right now, but they've nothing to do with the EPS nor shell material. I do not think that helmet replacement is warranted because of assumptions about those materials improving; they aren't.
The Snell M2015 standard is essentially the same thing as the M2010 standard was, and unless there is either a technological breakthrough, or some sort of new testing system or criteria devised, M2020 might well still be the same.

I have only been able to wear Arai's long-oval helmets for quite some time. They're expensive. I don't like replacing them. Nevertheless, Arai stops making parts for their helmets when they're about to change models, and that happens very roughly on a 5-year cycle. So, I end up having trouble keeping a helmet _too_ much longer than that. I wear one enough that they need parts or comfort liner bits or similar after fewer than 10 years.

I bought a new helmet on Monday. I went with the intent of spending about $300 on a LST lid, which I thought looked good online and had some solid reviews. But my wife came with me and she had a plan I wasn't aware of. After listening to the salesman talk about the LST and its value and shortcomings, she asked him what would be the next best helmet. His recommendation based on comfort and how it was built was Arai or Shoei.

Walked out with a nice white $600 helmet on order.

Which was a lot more than I planned to spend. But, if I keep it for five years, that works out to $10 per month. It doesn't seem so bad that way.

Of course if I drop it in the next two months, it really will be an expensive helmet. :p

The styrofoam (EPS) liner technology in helmets has not changed noticeably in a very long time. Frankly, neither has shell tech. There are some interesting technologies out there right now, but they've nothing to do with the EPS nor shell material. I do not think that helmet replacement is warranted because of assumptions about those materials improving; they aren't.
The Snell M2015 standard is essentially the same thing as the M2010 standard was, and unless there is either a technological breakthrough, or some sort of new testing system or criteria devised, M2020 might well still be the same.

I have only been able to wear Arai's long-oval helmets for quite some time. They're expensive. I don't like replacing them. Nevertheless, Arai stops making parts for their helmets when they're about to change models, and that happens very roughly on a 5-year cycle. So, I end up having trouble keeping a helmet _too_ much longer than that. I wear one enough that they need parts or comfort liner bits or similar after fewer than 10 years.

i dont think snell looks at the EPS. and in my opinion EPS has changed a bit... most premium helmet have dual density EPS vs single. but the safety does not lie only on the EPS. shell construction has changed a bit a well. lighter helmet reduces injuries, stronger shell that spreads the impact. most newer helmet go thu some computer simulations for crashing. there is lots of this info on youtube and online.

for safety reasons, i think is a small price to pay. get a newer helmet . if any of you like to argue that older helmet are safer then newer i have not found any data or research on that topic. i would not risk it . anyone know someone with a brain injury? or seen it on tv?

i generally go 6 years before replacement.

i dont think snell looks at the EPS. and in my opinion EPS has changed a bit... most premium helmet have dual density EPS vs single. but the safety does not lie only on the EPS. shell construction has changed a bit a well. lighter helmet reduces injuries, stronger shell that spreads the impact. most newer helmet go thu some computer simulations for crashing. there is lots of this info on youtube and online.

What I originally said on the topic is based primarily on what Snell tells me when I talk to them. Helmets do not perform particularly better now in actual impact testing than they did 1 or even 2 Snell iterations ago; the current technology is fully exploited. Even the better helmet manufacturers will tell you this if you are able to speak with them privately.

There may be some benefit to some of the new ideas concerning rotational injury, such as the European company whose name I've forgotten just now which has demonstrated an exterior covering which slips/breaks away on oblique impacts. However, there isn't yet repeatable testing to verify whether that's useful or not.

I'd really like helmet technology to significantly/noticeably advance. I thought maybe Bell's new system would be it, but it's not (at least in terms of what everyone knows how to test for at present). It's just not happening with EPS nor the very minor changes to the poly or fiberglass-kevlar-carbon shells.

Get a new helmet. You should also change running shoes every 6 months -- yes I know that they still look in great condition but it's not judged by looks but by support ---- same as your helmet.

And exercise, eat right, get 8 hours of sleep, perform random acts of kindness … [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is like the "Best By" date on food items. It tastes best before the date, but is still edible after the date, but not as good. It does not magically go bad on midnight the date stated either, but transitions over time.

I think this is like the "Best By" date on food items. It tastes best before the date, but is still edible after the date, but not as good. It does not magically go bad on midnight the date stated either, but transitions over time.

Is that sort of like our football teams transitioned this season, or is there hope there after?

My football team's season is all around the next game, Army. Unfortunately the last 2 games took out our entire starting backfield.

Be careful when using "When Pigs Fly". The implication of such a phrase is that the circumstances in question (the adynaton, and the circumstances to which the adynaton is being applied) will never occur.

Pigs.jpg

Now the Army team is all worked up for the game !!!

Last edited:
Be careful when using "When Pigs Fly". The implication of such a phrase is that the circumstances in question (the adynaton, and the circumstances to which the adynaton is being applied) will never occur.

View attachment 31930

Now the Army team is all worked up for the game !!!

As an aviator you know that given sufficient thrust pigs can fly. This may be Army's year. Yesterday Navy had their second quarterback suffer a season ending injury. And in the last 2 games lost their top 3 running backs. Army was off the last few weeks while Navy got banged up. Aside from that the game is a new season and all bets are off when they take the field next Saturday. In 126 years the underdog has won many times.

Army has a football team?
[dives under table clinging to a Clemson tshirt]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back