• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmet noise levels

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
How much difference does one helmet make vs another as far as wind noise goes? I currently wear a HJC modular, which I really like, but I’d like to have less noise when I ride. I have played with the stock windshield and a little add on wing that came on the windshield, I like it best with windshield in the lowest position with no wing on top, I’d rather not go with a big windshield if I can avoid it. What are the odds that a different helmet would help? Too bad I can’t go on test rides with helmets before I buy one, that would be nice.

Earplugs are a necessity to protect Your hearing. Believe me I know.

Yes, some helmets are noisier than others. My Schuberth is quieter than my Bell. It also cost double the price of the Bell. However it murders my head over long distances so the Bell gets preference. Its a trial and error job. Some noise is transmitted thru the shell and some from vents etc and some from items on the bike such as mirrors and screens. Its never easy to figure out but perhaps start looking at those items first.

Reactions: MZ5
I wear HJC helmets because they fit me well. The faceshield system works well. The build quality is good. However, they are in general, noisy helmets. I understand that there are quieter helmets available, but I have not tried them. Fit, functionality, and cost are factors that need to be weighed along with noise level.

I always wear earplugs all the time on all solo rides. On occasions where I don’t wear earplugs, it’s because I am using a helmet communicator to talk to the wife, and I’m on the Goldwing or the Ruckus where wind noise levels are lower. If you’re not wearing earplugs yet, I highly recommend trying them.

Thanks for all the replies. I wear earplugs on every ride. I may just bite the bullet and get a bigger windshield.

Thanks for all the replies. I wear earplugs on every ride. I may just bite the bullet and get a bigger windshield.
Pay attention to not just the size of windshield but to where it directs the air flow. For example, Honda’s touring windscreen is larger than stock, but it makes noise worse for some riders because it directs wind flow at the neck or face, not above the helmet.

Many people, me included, recommend Madstad because the screens are low enough to look over, yet they direct wind at the top of the helmet or above and over the helmet.

The Madstad definitely reduces the higher-freq wind noise. I have one. I just run the Honda Touring screen with the top pulled back with a string. I prefer full, clean airflow. Not everyone does, though.

Helmets matter to wind noise. Helmet fit is much more important than wind noise, though, unless your rides are 100% short trips such that you can handle a less-great fit for a few minutes and then take the helmet off for a few hours.

My ears seem to be sensitive to noise & to continue riding I had to find the quietest helmet made. Schuberth CP3 Pro. Much quieter than any helmet I ever wore. My first one was $800 & after 7 years I replaced it with a new one for $600 which I'm still wearing. Schuberth has released new helmet models but the C3 Pro is still their quietest. I remember getting the cheapest full face HJC helmet before a group ride & at 70 mph it sounded like a rocket blasting off 10 feet away. I'm sure I'd be deaf if I wore it again. One good investment: Chin curtain. Before my Schuberth I put a chin curtain in my Scorpion helmet & that reduced wind noise about 80%. Some helmets sell them for a few extra bucks. On my Schuberth that's sort of built in so no wind noise coming up into the helmet.

Reactions: MZ5
.......get a bigger windshield.
Not bigger, TALLER.
The only air movement that matters is that going over the TOP of the shield.
Have ridden since 1965 I've had several bikes of late outfitted with clear TALL shields.
While sitting on the bike, a 1 1/2 car length ahead, while just barely seeing over the top of the shield is ideal for a very QUIET ride.
Never be looking through.........very unsafe. I met a gentleman on the Blue Ridge Parkway tell me he crashed when his shield fogged over. I explained his shield was too tall.
Earplugs are highly advisable, as ddeulin suggests.

Full face helmets with good ear surrounding padding are quietest, but the right shield for the rider is the easiest fix. Hearing the bike only is heavenly.

Last edited:
Not bigger, TALLER.
The only air movement that matters is that going over the TOP of the shield.
Have ridden since 1965 I've had several bikes of late outfitted with clear TALL shields.
While sitting on the bike, a 1 1/2 car length ahead, while just barely seeing over the top of the shield is ideal for a very QUIET ride.
Never be looking through.........very unsafe. I met a gentleman on the Blue Ridge Parkway tell me he crashed when his shield fogged over. I explained his shield was too tall.
Earplugs are highly advisable, as ddeulin suggests.

Full face helmets with good ear surrounding padding are quietest, but the right shield for the rider is the easiest fix. Hearing the bike only is heavenly.
I think we’ve had this conversation before, but on my NC, I have experienced noise from air coming around the lower outer corners of the shield, being disturbed by hand guards and possibly by the mirrors, then curving around to hit me in the upper chest, creating noise. I could put my hands in the path of this air flow and verify that it was creating noisy turbulence. So in my experience, the whole shield design is important, not simply the height.

You can also try one of those little spoilers that clip on your existing windscreen. You can buy a cheap one from AliExpress/Amazon/Ebay or go for one of the more expensive brands. I just ordered one for 15 euro from AliExpress to try it out.

Also thinking to change helmet to a Schubert c3 pro, prices are pretty attractive at the moment for what used to be a 600 euro helmet.

Schuberth C3 is the quietest but also the hottest, only use it in the winter.
Going slow or stopping you constantly pop up the face shield.

Only a few (experimental) people figured out that you need a 'ear muff/gun range' design to kill the noise.
If done correctly you don't need to worry about the neck roll or chin curtain. Unfortunately, I haven't
seen a viable commercial implementation.

In a decade long search for less wind noise, and ability to listen to music at reasonable levels, i at last found Plugfones brand earphones. If properly inserted, they give a 26 dB reduction in noise, and decent ( if not spectacular) sound reproduction. I wear them on just about every ride, and find them comfy for hours at a time. Proper insertion is necessary, and can take a while to master. Very reasonable as well, about 17$ on Amazon. .

I’ve also used noise canceling earbuds, which work about as good as earplugs. I only use those if I want to listen to music when I ride, so not very often. I just ordered a chin curtain, maybe that will help some.

I have the new Shuberth C5 definitely the quietest helmet I have ever owned, even a little better than the Shuberth E1 it replaced. The biggest improvement over the C3 and C4 is it has a chin vent now. It also has a more normal oval fit.

I have a Vstream windshield, it works but I still get some noise and turbulence unless I duck down 4” behind it. I have mulled going taller bigger with a madstad 24 or 26” tall screen but I’m not too keen on looking through the screen.

I have the new Shuberth C5 definitely the quietest helmet I have ever owned, even a little better than the Shuberth E1 it replaced. The biggest improvement over the C3 and C4 is it has a chin vent now. It also has a more normal oval fit.

I have a Vstream windshield, it works but I still get some noise and turbulence unless I duck down 4” behind it. I have mulled going taller bigger with a madstad 24 or 26” tall screen but I’m not too keen on looking through the screen.
If you choose the right size you look over a Madstad never through it and it’s still quiet with the right kind of wind across the head and upper body.

As dduelin said above, you look over a properly sized Madstad, yet the wind goes over your head. That is the advantage offered by it’s design.

How much difference does one helmet make vs another as far as wind noise goes? I currently wear a HJC modular, which I really like, but I’d like to have less noise when I ride. I have played with the stock windshield and a little add on wing that came on the windshield, I like it best with windshield in the lowest position with no wing on top, I’d rather not go with a big windshield if I can avoid it. What are the odds that a different helmet would help? Too bad I can’t go on test rides with helmets before I buy one, that would be nice.
I have an HJC modular. I always wear ear plugs, but still find it a little louder than a regular helmet with ear plugs.

A few years back at a bike show I bought ear plugs which were Moulded to fit my ears. It made a major difference regarding noise, far better than regular ear plugs.

Theyre not cheap but if you have the opportunity to get ear plugs which are moulded for your particular ears I think they’ll take away a lot of your noise problems,

You can also try one of those little spoilers that clip on your existing windscreen. You can buy a cheap one from AliExpress/Amazon/Ebay or go for one of the more expensive brands. I just ordered one for 15 euro from AliExpress to try it out.

Also thinking to change helmet to a Schubert c3 pro, prices are pretty attractive at the moment for what used to be a 600 euro helmet.
B363A560-4B75-4D9A-A250-60C7FD584ACB.jpeg

Back