• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Help with frozen lock(?)

BigGuppy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I did manage to get the bike moved after the snowstorm, but now when I went to move it again, I wasn't able to turn the key from the lock position to the right. I could push the key down, but when I applied pressure to turn, it just wouldn't budge, and I bent that key.

I have a spare I can use, but I don't want to mess up that key too. I'm pretty sure the lock mechanism has frozen tight in some way. It's 17 degrees out.

Sooooo....is there an easy way to unfreeze an ignition lock? Some way to warm it up. Right now I can't move the bike, and Alternate Side Parking rules hit on Thursday... :)

Thanks

Sometimes with a Honda key cylinder, you have to insert the key, push the key all the way down, then pull up slightly on the key when you turn the key. I have had this happen a few times.

I used to have this issue a lot with my DL1000 when I lived in West Virginia. The stuff at the auto parts store works pretty good. It comes in a pressurized can and I used to keep one in my riding jacket in case my lock froze while I was at the office. If you don't already have it or your not at the auto parts store, it won't do you any good.

There is ice inside your lock. You need to melt it. If you can get the key in it's easy. What you have to do is heat the key and stick it in the lock to transfer the heat and melt the ice. Some people have success with a cigarette lighter. I've found that if it's cold enough to freeze the lock, it's probably too windy to keep the flame on the key. I've had the most success with hot water and WD-40. Put water in a bowl and heat it up in the microwave. Place the key in the bowl and walk out to your bike. Dry the key off (no need to add more water to the lock, it has plenty) and put the key in and wait for the ice to melt. Once you free the lock, it's time to use the WD-40. Spray it in the lock and on the key and work it several times to distribute it around. It will displace the water that was already in the lock to keep it from refreezing.

Now that you've freed the lock, you'll need to prevent it from happening again. Motorcycle locks are notorious for this because the lock face is pointed up where it can receive water. You have to find a way to keep the water from finding it's way into the mechanism. I used an old medicine bottle that I cut down to ~0.5", just enough to cover the ignition. I used to keep one on the bike and just put it in my pocket while I was riding. Old film canisters are also excellent for this if you can find one.

Last edited:
Back