• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hip Replacement

Lsdpoet

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys...wondering if anyone is riding with a replaced hip...I'm having trouble mounting my bike because of deteriorating hip and considering a replacement...delaying thr procedure as long as possible for fear I won't be able to ride once it's done,however, my riding currently has decreased because of the pain getting in and off...guess I need to make a decision soon...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2--done 9 years ago and about a week apart--I sold my BMW GS and HD Sportster before I had my hips done due to intense pain and bought a big Burgman 650 scooter which I still have and ride from time to time-(selling soon) after I healed I got an old Honda Ascot (since sold) and big V-strom but sold it after a couple of years (just too big and top heavy) and bought the NC700X that I ride these days. Take Larry the Cable guy's advice and "Git-r done" I was on the operating table on my 60th birthday and had them resurfaced--where they kind of machine the top of the femur and cap it rather than removing the whole top of the femur- the cup in the pelvis with which it interacts is the same-it was supposed to be the more athletic option--and was not done by all orthopedic surgeons at the time. If you have it done follow all rehab exercises and instructions scrupulously and you will wonder why you waited--I waited a couple of years in pain as they kept telling me to wait til I was 60. I do everything that I ever did but gave up running for bicycles which I ride probably 5 days a week--too many hobbies--garage is full!

My wife has had both hips replaced (the second one last year) and both knees. She can no longer mount a normal motorcycle. She just bought another scooter with a more or less step thru design. Buy Possumnaj's 650 Burgman. You can't be that far apart.

The RS900 Kawi I had last year was a little hard to throw a leg over, but I haven't ridden in many years and didn't mount it until after I bought it which is one reason why I sold it and got the 750 Honda with the auto trans. Do some research and look at seat heights before you buy. As an example, the 1100 Honda Rebel is easy to throw a leg over.

As already mentioned, a step through scooter might be the ticket. If there is a dealer nearby that stocks some, you go try a sit on a few. Sadly, Honda has not been a big player in the US scooter market, so you’ll probably need to try an SOB (some other brand).

We have 3 scooters at home and although I have no hip problems, the scoots are sure easy to just slide on and go.

Hi guys...wondering if anyone is riding with a replaced hip...I'm having trouble mounting my bike because of deteriorating hip and considering a replacement...delaying thr procedure as long as possible for fear I won't be able to ride once it's done,however, my riding currently has decreased because of the pain getting in and off...guess I need to make a decision soon...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
For 15 years I suffered with my right hip as I was too young, the bikes I was riding before my NC700X, the width of the tanks cause pain in this hip, getting on/off too but I managed by using the side stand, turning the steering away from me, almost laying face down on the tank at the same time bending my knee, flicking my leg over the saddle & getting off in the reverse.

The local NHS only offered me a replacement hip so I did some research & having considered the pros & cons I decided to have Resurfacing procedure known as the Birmingham Hip on the NHS fortunately at imperial college hospital Charring Cross London.

Why the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing procedure, because replacement was too final, if I was unlucky enough to come off my bike then a metal rod inside my bone could cause a weak point, or the bone could be shattered around it,

Good luck finding a hospital that will do this procedure but if you can afford it I’d recommend resurfacing over replacement.

Last edited:
LSDpoet and all successive posterings I can't tell you how much I appreciate this discussion. Last year when my wife told me that she wanted to ride with me on the 2021 NC750 I began to make changes to ensure that she was comfortable in doing so. Towards the end of the year I went with her to see an orthopedic surgeon and among the questions was "would she be able to ride with me" on the bike. His response, "we'll see." Hip replacement this January and she asked again if she would be able to ride with me and the answer, "we'll see." After weeks of physical therapy - "we'll see." I guess what I really want to say is that I've not seen this topic discussed anywhere prior to LSDpoet's posting and I appreciate everyone's input on this.

Norm

I step up on the left peg and get on the bike (and off) that way....I have to have my left hip replaced.....
To my way of thinking & with the amount of inconsiderate road users growing yearly, hip replacement was not an option for me, only resurfacing, Why you may ask ?

Considering my age when I had it done, mid 60’s, how many more riding motorcycles years I could potentially have & would like to have 10, 20 or almost 30 years.

If I were to be knocked off my bike a replacement hip means you have a rod of metal inside your leg bone most of the way to your knee, which may break at the end or worst still cause the bone around to shatter, how do they fix that, how long will it take or even amputation ?

With resurfacing the joint is restored to almost it’s original size & function, so very little change of dislocation, if you did wear it out in 15-30 years probably when your motorcycle riding days are over, then it could be replaced, by then someone else would probably be driving me.

Very happy with mine, on the NHS too, just have to search to find a hospital that can & will resurface your worn out joint, good luck.

Jammed my left leg in 1986 in a controlled put down of a CB900F in snow and finally had to get a new joint in 2016.
When pain affects sleep it is time to get it fixed. I sleep and ride well now.

Last edited:
Back