• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horn Button

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I left work Saturday afternoon on the bike and took the very scenic route home, 65 miles instead of 4. The target road of my ride was Route 232 in Vermont that runs through Groton Forest. The road is posted at 40 MPH and I usually stick pretty close to that as the road has many very tight turns and short, sharp changes in elevation and lots of very large animals like bears and moose and deer and coyotes. There are a lot of campgrounds in the area and I was following a small car stuffed with camping equipment that was traveling at 20 to 30 MPH. On one of the only straight sections of road with a good view of oncoming traffic I decided to pass the car. I was riding in Sport mode and think I was in 3rd or 4th when I started the pass. I always toot the horn when I start my pass to make sure Mr. Sleepy Head is paying attention. As I pulled into the opposite lane I tried to tap the horn button but instead hit the down shift button. The bike just about shot out from under me as I passed the car a lot quicker than I thought I could.

I was going to say; "I really think Honda should have put the horn button on the right hand grip not the left, especially on the DCT bikes". But I think the problem is this Old Fart just needs a little more time to adjust to how the controls are laid out.

My Goldwing has the turn signal and horn buttons exactly opposite from the NC, when switching bikes I have hit the horn a few times on each. You'd think Honda could use the same layout as all the other bikes, guess it's a "honk" New Concept.

Now you know you have the power you didn't know you had.

It's probably seared into your brain now. Won't make that mistake again!

My Goldwing has the turn signal and horn buttons exactly opposite from the NC, when switching bikes I have hit the horn a few times on each. You'd think Honda could use the same layout as all the other bikes, guess it's a "honk" New Concept.

One other thing I was going to mention but forgot to was maybe installing a horn button operated by the now unused left foot. Then I remembered that I had seen a video by a Scottish owner of a DCT bike that he had had the optional foot shifter installed by his Honda dealer. I don't think the foot shifter would be as quick as the buttons on the bar so I would re-purpose the foot shifter to a horn switch. I think it would be very satisfying jamming the left pedal to get ones point across rather than tapping a button on the handlebar when I could have too many other demands to pay attention to than where my left thumb is.

The horn button is kind of like where the wipers are on your car if you own one. Cars vary in control layout but if you use the controls awhile your brain writes a new software program you can call up and execute without "thinking' about it. If you use the horn on purpose to train your brain every ride for the next month you'll do the same for the horn button.

I tried to tap the horn button but instead hit the down shift button. The bike just about shot out from under me as I passed the car a lot quicker than I thought I could.

I was going to say; "I really think Honda should have put the horn button on the right hand grip not the left, especially on the DCT bikes". But I think the problem is this Old Fart just needs a little more time to adjust to how the controls are laid out.

LOL!!! Sorry I have to laugh, as I do this quite often myself... :eek:

The horn button was placed and follows some of the European switch layouts. I also think it's also related the DCT switch layout too. To help me find the hond button quicker, I rest my thumb on top of the turn signal slider switch.

The horn button is kind of like where the wipers are on your car if you own one. Cars vary in control layout but if you use the controls awhile your brain writes a new software program you can call up and execute without "thinking' about it. If you use the horn on purpose to train your brain every ride for the next month you'll do the same for the horn button.

Except I am not trying to find my wiper button on a split second emergency and have time to think about it.

18,000 miles, no riding on any other MC for a year, regularly practice hitting horn and still jut 50 50 if I will hit it in emergency.

I must be one of the only people that likes the position of the horn button. I found it very easy to adjust and prefer it where it is. To the OP. I'm glad all that happened was you shifted down and sped past the car and it was not an incident where you actually needed the horn.

Yeah .. lots of people wonder who I am when I honk at them turning the turn signal off :)..... fortunately the GoldWing has auto canceling turn signals. I need to keep off the Wing as it is soooo comfortable for my old bod it is hard to jump on the X, but then the X is sooooo easy to maneuver it gets picked most of the time. I'll just drive like I'm on the X all the time and hope I do not need the Horn on the Wing much....which with the emergency like lites on it (amber not red/blue) they give me lots of room anyway.... hummmm if we had self canceling signals on the X problem solved....

I must be one of the only people that likes the position of the horn button. I found it very easy to adjust and prefer it where it is. To the OP. I'm glad all that happened was you shifted down and sped past the car and it was not an incident where you actually needed the horn.

Didn't realize this thing had a horn button... It's a pretty weak horn at that. I have downshifted a couple times when using the turn signals. Too much stuff in too small an area, especially when wearing gloves

My name is Harald and I'm also a horn tooter. ;)
I'm sure it's a retraining thing, but I still can't find the horn, turn signal or high beam switches in the dark. Probably if I rode the NC more it would get engrained in memory, but my wife is liking the NC so much that I seldom get to ride it! :) I'm thinking that when it turns to typical Seattle winter (38 degrees and raining), that I'll have more opportunity to ride the NC.

What horn? I press the button and all I hear is a tiny buzzer sound.

Why does Honda have to save $2.00 by installing a worthless horn?

What horn? I press the button and all I hear is a tiny buzzer sound.

Why does Honda have to save $2.00 by installing a worthless horn?

I agree with you 100%!!!

That's why I installed one of these instead. I only left the stock horn (buzzer) on to main the styling of bike.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.jpg
    IMG_2482.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 66
Back