• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How is the DCT off road?

drdubb

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't do serious off road, but I was wondering how the auto and ABS performed in the dirt.

I plan on buying this spring and I want the DCT/ABS.

I took mine off-road. Nothing too serious but it did just fine. The brakes worked good even with the abs. The tires did well for street tires. Obviously, the more crazy off-road you're talking about then you'll want the dirt tires for mud or something like that. The suspension is a bit jarring as it's stiff and inexpensive. I personally felt bad getting my bike dirty. It's just nice to have the automatic for the 98% of the time I'm just commuting to work or riding around. But, if I see a dirt road or something fun to ride on.

I switched to manual for some of the off-road too. That felt better for me.

Switching to Sport mode or Manual would work well. Tires will be a huge consideration. I can imagine that using the paddle shifter would be fine, I think, for certain spots when one would need to stay in a certain gear, but be able to quickly and thoughtlessly move into another.

Check the following videos by "Cager on Two Wheels". Guy is a trip and one of his main rides is an NC. His channel is https://www.youtube.com/user/CagerOnTwoWheels

"Can Stock NC700X Do offroad": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEIR3yjH9_M
Offroad in weather: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKanTMqAYkQ
Offroad @ night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR7_oKf61qI

One of my fav's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReGf07wuWBw

I don't do serious off road, but I was wondering how the auto and ABS performed in the dirt.

I plan on buying this spring and I want the DCT/ABS.

well, both DCT and ABS are a big no no for off-road. Can you still do it? poorly and risking accident with no fun at all sure yes. Unless you're talking only about gravel, fire roads. Then you'll be fine.

well, both DCT and ABS are a big no no for off-road. Can you still do it? poorly and risking accident with no fun at all sure yes. Unless you're talking only about gravel, fire roads. Then you'll be fine.

I rode off road years ago and just getting back into it with a kdx200. Great bike. When I rode "off road" years ago in was single track, trails, and sometime making your on trail. It seems in todays lingo off road means anything that's not paved. I didn't realize that I rode my Gold Wing "off road".

I regularly ride mine on old unpaved farm and forestry roads with no problem. Do I have to go slower and pay more attention? Yup. Is it a problem for the bike as long as I don't go crazy? Nope.

I have taken my Gold Wing off road on one of the worse road two-up, did I enjoy it, no, did I drop it, no, did I make it, yes, will I ride that section again, NO.

I haven't had my DCT long and haven't been off road much, but the only thing that concerns me is when the road tilts down, that is when the speed needs to be dialed back and controlled, at least if you are going to be in an automatic mode; I wouldn't want to have a sudden unexpected downshift.

Have you tried it or just know? Funny how many experts on this subject know without riding one.

HondaBikePro is a serious off-roader and reports it is great off road with both DCT and ABS.

Have you tried it or just know? Funny how many experts on this subject know without riding one.

HondaBikePro is a serious off-roader and reports it is great off road with both DCT and ABS.

AND: HONDABIKEPRO had both a manual and a DCT NC700X, so he has experience riding off road with both types.

well, both DCT and ABS are a big no no for off-road.
I agree, especially since you cannot turn the ABS off. Would really, REALLY not want to be facing a downhill off-camber in wet or sandy conditions and attempt to brake. I would also want to be able to feather the clutch, something that can't be done with the DCT...

I think most posters are confusing "off road" with "off pavement". I think if one is going to be riding on a road that isn't paved the NC will probably do fine, as would just about any motorcycle..

I agree, especially since you cannot turn the ABS off. Would really, REALLY not want to be facing a downhill off-camber in wet or sandy conditions and attempt to brake. I would also want to be able to feather the clutch, something that can't be done with the DCT...

I think most posters are confusing "off road" with "off pavement". I think if one is going to be riding on a road that isn't paved the NC will probably do fine, as would just about any motorcycle..

Read HondaBikePro's posts. He is OFF ROAD, not just off pavement. That is why he mounted a winch. I will take the word of an experienced rider who does it routinely and first did it on an X over the speculation of 100 individuals who haven't.

Think many here would strongly....disagree.

Um, not to anyone who actually rides truly off-road, and I'm not talking about riding down a gravel path. ABS is a nightmare off-road and the DCT is a hindrance and liability. What some people refer to as off-road is ridiculous. Even a Gold Wing as mentioned can be ridden off-road to some people, but that doesn't mean it should be. The NC is no different, you are buying a street bike and using it for something else other than its intended purpose. Does it work sometimes? Yes. Can it be fun? Yes. But is it a proper off road bike? Hell No.

"I don't do serious off road, but I was wondering how the auto and ABS performed in the dirt." (Emphasis mine)

His original question emphasized just the type of riding we were addressing. I read it to mean casual usage in a non-pavement environment, not dirt track type usage.

"I don't do serious off road, but I was wondering how the auto and ABS performed in the dirt." (Emphasis mine)

His original question emphasized just the type of riding we were addressing. I read it to mean casual usage in a non-pavement environment, not dirt track type usage.

This is why I posted the Cager on Two Wheels videos - figured the videos would actually SHOW the bike in light off-road situation with dirt on a forest path.

Um, not to anyone who actually rides truly off-road, and I'm not talking about riding down a gravel path. ABS is a nightmare off-road and the DCT is a hindrance and liability. What some people refer to as off-road is ridiculous. Even a Gold Wing as mentioned can be ridden off-road to some people, but that doesn't mean it should be. The NC is no different, you are buying a street bike and using it for something else other than its intended purpose. Does it work sometimes? Yes. Can it be fun? Yes. But is it a proper off road bike? Hell No.

I guess that depends on the definition of "off-road" If it just means away from roads/tracks and pre-laid tracks the only place to ride would be virgin lands like here View attachment 19734.

And yes that's my NC DCT with ABS not having a problem with off-road.

If by off-road you mean enduro/motocross speeds across rough terrain i would disagree. Because trial is also done off-road. Speed is not of influence on the term. And at low speeds the NC DCT with ABS is perfectly capable of shenanigans.

It's all depends on the rider whether or not the motorcycle will go off-road. Question is will it make it back on-road.

Last edited:

Last Summer I was riding with a group to a club members house to pick up coffee for our Green Mountain Rally on a very gnarly road that was was covered with fist sized rocks, the sand having been washed out by heavy rains. It being a Class IV road it is not maintained except by the adjoining land owners. Mine was the only street bike to make it up the driveway, the others were left in the road. Our group leader took a short cut on the way back to a main highway down a very steep road through very tight switchbacks that was nothing more than dry packed sand, no stones at all this time. I had the bike in Manual mode, in first gear, lightly tapping the rear brake to keep my speed down between 5 to 8 miles per hour (I've had the bike up to 30 MPH in first gear). I didn't put my feet down once and have always told myself when riding in situations like that to not put my feet down. I was the last one off of the hill but I made it just fine.

Did not mean to start an argument. Clearly, I'm a wimp and just ride the occasional gravel or dirt road. I did the TAT out to Arkansas on my DR650 and that was all on roads..although one or two places were a bit sandy or muddy. I do not plan to blaze trails or fly across the desert. I am actually hoping to do some road trips out to Colorado and Oregon. Maybe take a side trip or two on some of the easier gravel/fire road while I'm there.

To be more specific, I just wondered how the Auto Trans and ABS factored into the riding. I'm old and arthritic and do not plan to get into any hairy stuff if I can help it. I'm wondering about engine braking etc. While I know its hard to be specific, I was just looking for some general opinions.

I went to the dealer today and looked at a 2014 that they had in stock, but I've got two Nighthawks i have to sell before making a purchase. Looking forward to it.

Check the videos from Cager on Two Wheels I linked. That will give you a good view on simple dirt roads. Nothing difficult or anything, but good info and he has a fun way of telling the stories.

Back