• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How is the NC on the freeway?

I already own it and am very happy comfort wise, my a$$ does not even hurt anymore, wife like the stock seat... once the HONDA top box comes in (which she tries on showroom floor and liked) we will be all set comfort wise (excellent back support). We find actually the NC just the right size for both of us so we stay close together part of the bike.
What I was only worried about is stablity overall and especially in higher winds ( I guess knowing the NC is heavy but not that heavy). I imagine the weight will actually help further??? Even the HONDA luggage will add further weight...

thank you.

Last edited:
Hi ALL - I find the NC very stable so far but I would like to know from others PLEASE if you can tell me how 2UP will be? I imagine the weight will help in winds right???

This is very important to me as I take the wife with me ALL THE TIME.

Any feedback? So far I found it OK on the short trips we have done but some wind gusts I am still trying to adjust to...my wife was a little uneasy last round we did when we had some side winds hit her... I am still waiting for the MADSTAD to arrive and the HONDA top box which will give her back support.

Thank you.
What size are you and your wife? When I first got my NC I was over 220 and my wife was over 200 we still rode together but anything more then a couple hours and it lost its fun I'm still over 200 but my wife is under 150 now and it's made a huge difference our comfortable range has tripled, my wife is 5'3 or 5'4 I'm 5'11 with stock seat and suspension on the NC. In the end I would agree with the others I ride almost exclusively solo (commute to work) if you plan riding 2up
Most of the time there are better motorcycles but it is doable

Last edited:
What size are you and your wife? When I first got my NC I was over 220 and my wife was over 200 we still rode together but anything more then a couple hours and it lost its fun I'm still over 200 but my wife is under 150 now and it's made a huge difference our comfortable range has tripled, my wife is 5'3 or 5'4 I'm 5'11 with stock seat and suspension on the NC. In the end I would agree with the others I ride almost exclusively solo (commute to work) if you plan riding 2up
Most of the time there are better motorcycles but it is doable

But stability wise and wind wise should't be an issue right? I bought this bike because I saw it is very stable and reliable and can be used for all around... We are fairly small, I mean I'm about 185LBS and she's 130 LBS maybe... I'm 6foot1 - comfort wise we are ok, no problems... I just wanted to hear from folks stability wise 2 up, I read a lot of other people doing tours with pillions no problems... this bike doesn't seem to get moved around as much in the wind...

Last edited:
But stability wise and wind wise should't be an issue right? I bought this bike because I saw it is very stable and reliable and can be used for all around... We are fairly small, I mean I'm about 185LBS and she's 130 LBS maybe... I'm 6foot1 - comfort wise we are ok, no problems... I just wanted to hear from folks stability wise 2 up, I read a lot of other people doing tours with pillions no problems... this bike doesn't seem to get moved around as much in the wind...
Stability wise and reliability is great we've ridden over mountains in high winds past semis and over bad roads (interstate 5, high speeds through chewed up roads under construction) I've never had any problems and when I'm riding 2 up we have 20-40 pounds in each side case and we are heavier then you two. I've never had any mechanical problems (I'm at 53,000+ miles on my NC700X) the only reason I could understand stability problems is a very unbalanced load, under inflated tires or something was put together improperly

Stability wise and reliability is great we've ridden over mountains in high winds past semis and over bad roads (interstate 5, high speeds through chewed up roads under construction) I've never had any problems and when I'm riding 2 up we have 20-40 pounds in each side case and we are heavier then you two. I've never had any mechanical problems (I'm at 53,000+ miles on my NC700X) the only reason I could understand stability problems is a very unbalanced load, under inflated tires or something was put together improperly

Good to hear, if I know I won't get blown around too much I won't be concerned to go farther away - I'm coming from a Burgman 400 MAXI Touring Scooter and it was getting pushed sideways I was worried at times, it also weighted about 490 - this one is 510 lbs (I have the DCT) - I think besides weight the aerodynamics of this bike (the NC) are much better - less plastic to pick it up like a sail in the winds :)

I ride a cruiser, Honda Valkyrie Tourer, and the NC700x. I also ride two lane highways and interstates. The NC gets buffeted around on the interstate highways and really hammered behind a Semi or van. I just learn how to handle it. In a really windy day it gets buffeted plenty also. I'm a big guy and if it blows me around you know it is buffeted. It's a light bike. it will never be a replacement for the ST but it is a neat bike to ride. I have a Puig windscreen on it and without it you really get head hammered. You will have to do more downshifting because you have have the horsepower and displacement, however, it gets great gas mileage. I average over 75 mpg over all. Lowest was hammering it down the interstate at 66 and bets was joy riding in the mountains with 82. Normally around 78mpg. So, if you want an economical play machine that can handle some gravel and highway, the NC is a fine bike. Otherwise I would not have one.

When my spouse and have done small two up runs I have not had any issues with being blown around. If you have beaten the comfort issue you have it made in my opinion. I'm 5'6" 175 ish, my spouse is the same height about 120 lbs. This year she will have a top case to support her. Have not tested her comfort with it as of yet as it is still too cool for her.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on where you ride because I get push all over the place on my NC while riding on the interstate. I've never had an ST and my background is the larger CBRs. My NC has the Puig windscreen and I keep the topbox and saddle bags on at all times whick likely plays into my getting pushed around. There is a huge amount of semi traffic in the Little rock area since we are the main route from Memphis to Texas or Oklahoma. I am constantly fighting turbulent conditions and the bike is easily pushed over a third of the lane. I was pushed around on my CBRs but not nears as bad. The bike is limited on passing power when you're above 70mph but that is in comparison to a CBR so take it for what it is worth. I used to pass vehicles with no regard and now I have to calculate my chances based off the limited amount of power at that higher speeds.

I have been riding this bike for four years and I could sit here and tell you everything is great on the interstate but I won't, because it isn't. Having said that, I love this bike. It is great for commuting and the fact I have kept it four years is amazing. I rarely keep a bike that long. I am willing to accept some shortcomings because of all the other things I like.

I've had my NC less than a year and only ridden it on the highway once. It was a thrilling and frightening experience all at once. On this particular highway traffic was heavy but very fast moving and to keep up I had to do about 80mph. Unfortunately, the stock windshield didn't provide any kind of protection. I was tucked as low as I could go and still catching so much wind I could hardly keep speed. The cross winds which kept springing up unexpectedly kept trying to push me into the median. The wind backwash from semi trucks kept trying suck me under the wheels. I ride ATGATT and my wife was following me in her car but I was still a bit concerned for my safety. I enjoyed the ride but was very tired from fighting to keep my bike under me. The NC performed extremely well. I'd like to take it out on the highway again only this time with much less traffic.

This is my longest 2-up day to date. 2 years ago on a 2012 NC700SA with the stock screen (even less protection than the X screen). She is 130#, I am 170#. We rode through heavy rain for parts of it. No issues with stability. Varied roads from in town to rural routes to 100-series highways. Comfort became an issue on the last few hours of the ride.

Attachments

• Ride Route.jpg
    Ride Route.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 202
I note some folks seem to have major problems with their NC's on Freeways/Motorways. Interestingly I never had such issues and always found the bike to be very stable. However there are aspects to be considered such as suspension set up limited as it is, heavy loading at the rear of the motorcycle, use of a top box. I never used a top box on my NC and indeed rarely use them on other motorcycles either because I found that they could destabilize any motorcycle at speed especially if overloaded when riding solo. I always tend to front load the motorcycle where possible using a tankbag or the frunk to carry the heaviest items. The remainder are carried in two small panniers and in a bag on the pillion seat . With that set up I again reiterate that I never had any issues with instability on major roads at speeds up to and slightly beyond 80mph. I believe that any motorcycle which is overloaded at the rear when riding solo, will tend towards instability unless, like a Goldwing or a ST1300, it is specifically built to carry heavy loads at the rear. I have seen huge panniers and top boxes on the rear of NC's that imho were asking for instability. As such I would not be blaming the motorcycle.

I do experience some buffeting behind a semi. Not a problem, just not comfortable, so I try not to ride there very long. I will feel a bump of sideways air when passing one, but not enough to move the bike off path. Side wind gusts have moved me around and at least once out of my lane. I have a Madstadd screen, always my Givi Trekker top box and often Givi Trekker panniers.

As a new rider a few years back I had to work up to riding the freeway. Scared the heck out of me first few times. 150,000 miles later and I don't think about it. I prefer riding back roads and find freeways boring, but when I need to it isn't a problem. If I do it is often because I need to get somewhere and will travel with traffic above 80 mph just fine.

Last edited:
Freeways just don't bother me. And honestly I have had a big 1600+CC cruiser with windshields and fairings and al of that and a 35 - 40 mph cross wind will move you around on that as well. It's like anything, each bike has it's character, and you get used to it. But the NC is a fine Highway rig.

I note some folks seem to have major problems with their NC's on Freeways/Motorways. Interestingly I never had such issues and always found the bike to be very stable. However there are aspects to be considered such as suspension set up limited as it is, heavy loading at the rear of the motorcycle, use of a top box. I never used a top box on my NC and indeed rarely use them on other motorcycles either because I found that they could destabilize any motorcycle at speed especially if overloaded when riding solo. I always tend to front load the motorcycle where possible using a tankbag or the frunk to carry the heaviest items. The remainder are carried in two small panniers and in a bag on the pillion seat . With that set up I again reiterate that I never had any issues with instability on major roads at speeds up to and slightly beyond 80mph. I believe that any motorcycle which is overloaded at the rear when riding solo, will tend towards instability unless, like a Goldwing or a ST1300, it is specifically built to carry heavy loads at the rear. I have seen huge panniers and top boxes on the rear of NC's that imho were asking for instability. As such I would not be blaming the motorcycle.

Well said, and the other posts here, even a big cruiser will get moved around. So far the NC I find very good in the winds... sure a strong gust might move the bike a tad but you correct for it slightly and move on...

I've had my NC less than a year and only ridden it on the highway once. It was a thrilling and frightening experience all at once. On this particular highway traffic was heavy but very fast moving and to keep up I had to do about 80mph. Unfortunately, the stock windshield didn't provide any kind of protection. I was tucked as low as I could go and still catching so much wind I could hardly keep speed. The cross winds which kept springing up unexpectedly kept trying to push me into the median. The wind backwash from semi trucks kept trying suck me under the wheels. I ride ATGATT and my wife was following me in her car but I was still a bit concerned for my safety. I enjoyed the ride but was very tired from fighting to keep my bike under me. The NC performed extremely well. I'd like to take it out on the highway again only this time with much less traffic.

This would freak me out too, that is doing 80MPH with stock screen - I was more referring to the 75 mph range and MADSTAD screen - I think as such 2 UP is fine on the freeway... a TOP box address backrest support for the wife so as much as it may catch in the wind, it would be worth it and compensate comfort wise.....

This would freak me out too, that is doing 80MPH with stock screen - I was more referring to the 75 mph range and MADSTAD screen - I think as such 2 UP is fine on the freeway... a TOP box address backrest support for the wife so as much as it may catch in the wind, it would be worth it and compensate comfort wise.....

It's not too bad with stock, really. Though being a pretty small rider, I guess I can get away with more. Wouldn't want to ride all day like that, of course.

realize it's not a 2-ton convertible with a big windshield -- it's a motorcycle. it's exposed more and you are going to feel things you wouldn't feel in a car. learning to relax makes the very same ride seem less threatening -- and it's not as tiring as white-knuckle forays either ; }

. a TOP box address backrest support for the wife so as much as it may catch in the wind, it would be worth it and compensate comfort wise.....

That also is my only use for a Top box, when my Wife is on the back of my Triumph and like You it serves as a back rest for her and somewhere to put her satchel/handbag. However the top box is not a problem two up. I only find it a problem sometimes when riding solo because it can sometimes act like a pendulum way out there on the back of the bike and that serves to exacerbate any slight handling anomalies. Even the manufacturers recognize the problems with top boxes and for that reason some of them supply sliding mounts to dampen the affect that they might have on handling.

learning to relax makes the very same ride seem less threatening -- and it's not as tiring as white-knuckle forays either ; }

This is true.

Having commuted for years with strong westerly winds and gales hitting me from left and right depending on direction, I have found that relaxing the grip on the handlebars is a good tactic to deal with such situations. Many folks to the total opposite and hold on tight. By doing that ou are then transmitting further energy to the bike thru the handlebars and making things worse. When you think about it, You the rider are a tall and bulky part of the motorcycle, and when the wind catches you, passing that energy on to the bike is not desirable. I hope this makes sense. I once had a friend who could not embrace this procedure in strong winds and eventually She gave up motorcycling completely because she became too nervous.

Back