• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How LOW can you go????

I have a 28" inseam and I am fine with the NC.
No, both feet are not on the ground and flat footed.
But that has never been an issue for me and the NC.
I had other bikes where it was an issue.
We had a beautiful 2013 Triumph Rocket III Touring machine.
That was 850 lbs. and I could not flat foot that bike.
That one I did trade in because of that issue.
But the NC is just too light and easy to handle for me to consider lowering it.
In fact I was just yesterday climbing a back-country mountain road with it that had nasty cut backs and a lot of huge loose mountain stones.
The worse (but yet most fun?) road I have ever biked on.
The NC took it fine and even with the 28" inseam I was confident on it.
Yes, you cannot flat foot it.
But can you get enough foot down either side to handle stops?
That is what I would consider.
Have you purchased the bike or are you considering purchasing?
If you own it have you been out riding it and getting comfortable with it?
I have had mine 3 years now and have 8200 miles on it so I have gotten very comfortable with it.
Those are some thoughts that come to mind.

God bless!!

Michael

yeah, a lot of us dualsport guys are satisfied if we can get our feet down enough to keep any machine upright -- flat-footing is mainly reserved for the taller trail riders. the NC power delivery is great and I'm hoping a different clutch lever will allow better modulation and control yet... i just love that torque curve and it seems like it does a lot with little fuss and muss. Since the suspension isn't as specific to off-pavement as some dedicated machines even after beefing it up, that's a great asset.

I am also considering buying a NC700X and have a question not really answered here. I am 5'8 with 28" inseam in tennis shoes. I don't want a uncomfortable thin seat either.

So, ok if I lower the rear 40mm (1.5" or so) and front 1", then will that lower the entire bike and reduce ground clearance to 5" then? If not, what is ground clearance for a bike and rear travel of shock for a bike lowered 1.5" please?

If it lowers the engine to 5.1", that's the same height as the more comfortable CTX 700 I could get without any modifications is the reason I'm asking. I could put some more gravel oriented tires on there and call it good for the gravel roads I sometimes go on. Not looking to go offroading, but motocamping might take me places I need more traction and ground clearance. Most camp sites are paved though.

Just looking for cheapest option of adventure touring bike with max ground clearance. Thanks in advance for anyone answering my questions!

Yes, you will lose ground clearance. I read that you should lower the front by about 1/4 of what you lower the rear. I just bought soupy's links, an 700S center stand and side stand.

I am 64 yo, 5-7 with 28" inseam. I plan to lower mine about an inch sometime in the near future. I ride gravel, but nothing serious. If I have to jump a log, I'll turn around. I do have a skid plate to protect the soft underbelly from any flying debris.

[...If it lowers the engine to 5.1", that's the same height as the more comfortable CTX 700 I could get without any modifications is the reason I'm asking. I could put some more gravel oriented tires on there and call it good for the gravel roads I sometimes go on...]

The CTX has forward mounted pegs so it's not possible to stand up over the bumps. It also has shorter suspension travel than the NC. Except for the engine & transmission being identical, this is an Apples & Oranges comparison so you make the decision. :eek:

drdubb, you ride it ok with it stock right now though? You've got to be on one leg at stops then right? Well I will find out tomorrow or Friday. Waiting on a special order pair of boots with raised soles to try out along with regular boots. No CTX's around to try out right now.

DirtFlier yes, I understand you can't stand on the CTX model and that is one of my concerns although I don't plan to offroad the CTX except a flat gravel driveway then. Thanks for both responses.

I ride ok...mounting and dismounting, especially with luggage looks like a three stooges routine.

I have a riding buddy that has "lift" boots. He swears by them.

Just got these today with 1.75" heel:

View attachment 35542

Looks great. Better than lowering the bike. Just got to be real careful with loose laces. If you catch the lace on the peg when attempting to put your foot down, you risk falling over. I think that’s why motorcycle boots don’t use laces.

Back