• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How many miles did You get with the original motorcycle chain

My thought to lubing the chain is for chain to sprocket contact and nothing more. It would cut down on the surface rusting too. If the o'rings are intact, you're not getting anything in there anyway. I use a white lithium lube. It goes on thin, I can see where I'm putting it and then it tacks up. It also does not seem to collect as much dirt.
There is no room for lubricant between the rollers and the sprocket. It's just metal on metal, like a trailer on a ball hitch. You can lube it, but it doesn't make any difference, every thing will just be squeezed out when it comes in contact. The lubrication on an O ring chain is only to condition the rubber and inhibit rust.

There is no room for lubricant between the rollers and the sprocket. It's just metal on metal, like a trailer on a ball hitch. You can lube it, but it doesn't make any difference, every thing will just be squeezed out when it comes in contact. The lubrication on an O ring chain is only to condition the rubber and inhibit rust.
MYTH

Lubrication helps reduce sprocket wear.

Wear on ball hitch usually not a problem, but lubrication will reduce the wear.

I have to disagree there. That's like saying there's no room for lubricant between a piston ring and a cylinder wall, or between a cam lobe and a valve tappet, or between the meshing teeth on transmission gears. All those interfaces would be metal on metal, but they're not, because there is lubricant between them.

There's room for lubricant between the sprocket and the roller.

And as for the trailer hitch, I do lube my balls. :eek:

Haven't gotten enough miles on the X yet to warrant a change but I'll throw in my .02 from my experience with my FZ6. I got around 32,000 miles out of the OEM chain and sprockets. I used nothing but the Dupont Teflon chain lube that OCR referenced. The only time I ever adjusted the chain was when I put on a new rear tire. I cleaned the chain whenever I washed the bike - sometimes once a week, mostly every two weeks at least. I commute whenever I can on the bike so we're talking minimum of 400 miles per week. I live on a gravel road that gets very dusty in the summer. If the chain gets too nasty looking I hit it with the lube which cleans it and lubes in one step. When I do give it a scrubbing when I'm washing the bike I made a chain brush out of two old toothbrushes taped together and scrub the outside of the links, usually by holding the brush to the links and spinning the tire. Sometimes I wet the brush down with the cleaner I clean the bike with, other times I use WD-40. Don't know if this is the correct way but I figured 32k miles wasn't bad.

My finger is twitching and edging closer to the Lock Thread button...

I'm not seeing a huge difference between: "what motor oil" trainwreck threads, and: "what chain lube" trainwreck threads.

Seems like the original motorcycle chain we have on our bikes, wears out quicker then we would have expected it to. I was hoping of getting 20,000 miles from my chain, but shows signs of needing replacement at only 8,000 miles. I have a buddy who has several motorcycles and he gets over 30,000 miles on his chains.

So, for those who have replaced their chains, how many miles did You have on them befoere they needed replacement?

0.jpg

Got 12000 on OEM chain.

smileygoldtooth.jpg

00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I made 15000 miles. With the second kit, i will reach 22500miles. The only difference being to lube it each 300 miles sharp.

I regularly (every 500 miles or so) clean my chain with o-ring safe cleaner and a nylon brush then rinse it with water ride it around the block and then put chain wax on it. I just took my bike in for its 16k maintenance and the dealer said they adjusted the chain a bit and it's good to go but out of adjustment now so I suspect another 1-2k miles before I need a new chain. He recommended changing the sprockets with it as a set but I'm not convinced they need it. Maybe?

Gigs

My original chain (and kit) lasted for 24000 kms. Cleaning the chain every 1000kms and lubed every 500 kms. Next i used teflon chain lube and did not clean the chain at all (only ride on roads). The outcome 36000kms before a new (o-ring) chain and kit.

Just had mine changed the other day. Right at 11,000 miles. It had three locked links. Probably could have ran it longer but decided to have it changed. I lubed it every other fuel tank and really never cleaned it. Maybe tiwce. Just being honest.

Chuck, do you notice any difference since the change? Is it quieter?

Honestly I'd say I can hear the chain more. I don't know the words to use to describe the sound but basically the noise a chain mechanism makes. LOL. Its a good sound. I could not hear that prior to the replacement.

I have about the same results as SergeantChuck. I got 12,000 miles on the first "OEM" chain. The chain was a DID "o" ring. I did not change my sprockets at that time. I have 18,000 miles on my current DID "x" ring chain. So, 1/3 greater wear from the "x" ring chain. I am going to change my sprockets and chain before heading out to Arizona next month.

Last edited:
I changed mine at 11k but it needed it for awhile now. It had a bunch of locked links and would clunk like crazy. I stayed spaying it with chain wax before every ride and the clunking would stop for about a 100 miles. I never really cleaned it either. Now it has a d.I.d x ring.

Changed mine today at 12k. It still had plenty of adjustment room left but was noisy. Put on a DID VX2 and JT sprockets. Rear sprocket had little wear. Front sprocket I could feel but not see the saw tooth starting to form. Bought it all as a set from sprocketcenter. Nice and quiet now.

14041970795_10a8703e9c_c.jpg

14018833136_09f26a468c_c.jpg

14041955295_f709315dc0_c.jpg

Mine snapped on the highway with 16500 miles and tore the metal guide near the front sprocket off. I haven't taken it in to the shop yet they are closed on Sunday and Monday. It looks bad and I'm very sad.

Gigs

Mine snapped on the highway with 16500 miles and tore the metal guide near the front sprocket off. I haven't taken it in to the shop yet they are closed on Sunday and Monday. It looks bad and I'm very sad.

Gigs

At least you didn't get hurt when it happend,that is always my worry with the chain.

Gigs

Sorry to here that. What an inconvenience that was. I'm really surprised to hear that it broke. What brand chain was it? We're there any prior symptoms?

* shudder *. Almost makes me want to go back to shaft drive.

Back