• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How much can you squeeze out of the last bar

Badger

Reaction score
Visit site
Folks,

I am currently intrigued about the maximum miles you could squeeze out of the last bar on the fuel gauge. The annoying thing is that as soon as you touch the last bar it starts flashing red so you don't really know how far you can push the bike. I am currently on 30 miles with a litre worth of rescue fuel in the frunk. Any of you try this before. My trip meter reads 182 miles with mainly motorway riding so am hoping to touch the 200 mile mark.

Anyone tried this to see how far this machine can g-o on the last bar of fuel?

Is the 199.7 in total? i was asking about the last bar. I suppose its difficult to tell hence I am now experimenting with some rescue fuel. When you say 3.15 gallons do you mean US Gallons?

Last edited:
How much is that in litres? are those US Gallons?

Edit- The fuel tank's total nominal volume is 14.2 litres +/-

"approx." 0.70 US gal/0.58 Imp./2.64 litres give or take is the Reserve amount, as soon as the 4th LCD block disappears, and then the 5th block immediately starts to flash red.

How far you can go on this is up to you. Your speed, highway versus city, headwinds, hills, etc. The LCD blocks can flicker and go up or down depending on the angle of the bike and the float's level in the fuel sloshing around, obviously.

Last edited:
How far depends on a few variables like weight, speed, terrain, so I am not sure we can answer your question accurately. I think the longest I went on the last bar was 35 miles and I still only put 3.2 US gallons in to fill up. That left .5 gallons or another 35 - 37 miles. I averaged 74 mpg that tank so the last bar came on with about 1 gallon remaining = 70+ miles on the last bar.

How far depends on a few variables like weight, speed, terrain, so I am not sure we can answer your question accurately. I think the longest I went on the last bar was 35 miles and I still only put 3.2 US gallons in to fill up. That left .5 gallons or another 35 - 37 miles. I averaged 74 mpg that tank so the last bar came on with about 1 gallon remaining = 70+ miles on the last bar.

70+ miles on the last bar is incredible. I was curious cause my commuting is generally at motorway limits (70-50 mph) as soon as that light starts flashing I get a bit twitchy so am trying to figure out what is the best you could get out of the last bar.

70+ miles on the last bar is incredible. I was curious cause my commuting is generally at motorway limits (70-50 mph) as soon as that light starts flashing I get a bit twitchy so am trying to figure out what is the best you could get out of the last bar.

You'll never know till you actually try it on YOUR bike in YOUR conditions. But it's a good idea to have an idea :) Carrying emergency fuel is also a good idea :)

See? You are full of good ideas!!! :) :) :)

My fuel gauge usually starts flashing it's warning somewhere around 208 - 214 miles. Not always, mind you, but usually. I normally take it up to 220 to 230 miles before worrying too much about fuel, but that's only when I'm within 150 or so miles of home, and I can be fairly confident of where the next gas is available. Average mileage currently is just under 74 mpg (US gallons, since that's where I fill up. So far, at least.).

Folks,

I am currently intrigued about the maximum miles you could squeeze out of the last bar on the fuel gauge. The annoying thing is that as soon as you touch the last bar it starts flashing red so you don't really know how far you can push the bike. I am currently on 30 miles with a litre worth of rescue fuel in the frunk. Any of you try this before. My trip meter reads 182 miles with mainly motorway riding so am hoping to touch the 200 mile mark.

Anyone tried this to see how far this machine can g-o on the last bar of fuel?

My best so far would be 58.52 miles on .7 gallons left in the tank, but my average tells me I have 45.78 miles left to go.
I carry MSR fuel bottles all the time, so I know I can make it to the next gas station.

Well chaps, i pushed and pushed and finally I was bit concerned I was running on fumes. I stopped at 200 miles and filled up, the tank accepted 13.63 litres till overflow. Guess there was under a litre left. So conclusion is - I can ride it how I like and still achieve at least 50 miles on the last bar. great to know. I wish the flashing would turn solid red when the reserve is empty, would be a great little feature

I wish the flashing would turn solid red when the reserve is empty, would be a great little feature

It does have that feature. When the engine finally dies and then you turn the key off, that last bar is solid red! :D

Greg

I've ran out before having never gotten the red flashing bar. Still had two left. So in my book if ever see that red flashing bar again, get fuel NOW!! I too carry MSR fuel bottles now for my daily commute, just in-case. Didn't like having to wake up my father at 5:30am with a distress call becasue I was stranded.

I did a ride out on my own yesterday did a 146 miles round trip and the bars were half way down.
it looks as though half a tank is left but I wouldn't bet on it.

I think the tank is kind of a trapezoidal shape that's narrower towards the bottom. That would explain why the upper bars last so long and then you hit the low fuel indicator pretty fast.

Back