• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How strong is parking brake supposed to be?

BigGuppy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My parking brake has never felt very strong. Now most of the places I park are dead flat, so when I set the handbrake it's just as an anti-theft precaution. But I've noticed a couple times I've pulled away with it still on. And there's just a little drag, nothing more.

The other day I was on a slight slope in a parking lot, and it was clear the parking brake wasn't going to stop it rolling. I found another spot.

Is the parking brake supposed to be as tight as a car parking brake? Is there something I can do to check and adjust it?

You’ve to adjust it from time to time because as every brake pad is in contact with the brake disc and there is some wear even when you’re not using it...

There are many posts on this forum where guys/gals have burned out their parking brake pads by riding along for who knows how long (miles and miles I imagine) without even realising the brake is engaged. This could not happen to me because when my brake is on I can't help but notice, I can pull away but the engine strains and I quickly realise. All and all I might have 20 feet of wear on my parking brake pads. Two years later I am starting to find it is not quite as effective as it used to be so I think I will adjust it a little tighter.

I think that I should adjust my parking brake so tight that it is very difficult to push the bike along on a level surface. Also, if I can pull away from a parking spot and hardly notice that my brake is on IT'S NOT TIGHT ENOUGH.

[...if I can pull away from a parking spot and hardly notice that my brake is on IT'S NOT TIGHT ENOUGH.]

The parking brake is designed to keep the bike from rolling when parked on an incline. Anything beyond that and you're asking way too much.

ps. I too have ridden off with the parking brake still engaged but felt something was amiss within 10-20 ft!

Last edited:
I threw it away. Needed it only on ferryboats and then used a rubberband on the front brakelever. Weight is about 1,5 kg.

I threw it away. Needed it only on ferryboats and then used a rubberband on the front brakelever. Weight is about 1,5 kg.

In Canada when you sell a used vehicle the parking brake must be in working order to pass a safety inspection which is required to transfer ownership. I'm not sure that 'parking brake' is on their radar for a motorcycle inspection so one would probably get away with not having it.

No problem in Germany. Realise: my Honda SH 300 has no parking brake from factory on. Will mount it, when the bike is to be sold.
Greetings from Germany, Thomas

when I had my NC I only adjusted it twice in 4 years and used it regularly when taking photos inc on steep hill.
you adjust it at the bottom if I remember rightly.

Similar issue on mine, could hold the bike on the flat, but I noticed on an incline it didn't work real well and the bike would roll some. Noticed this right before a vacation and the bike was going in for its 8k service. Asked them to tighten it up while they were at it. Problem solved, it's much better now. And no I never rode off with it on. Yet!

Back