• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Iconic bike meeting places

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
Not directly NC related but as I'm always interested to learn about motorcycling in other countries I though I would take a chance and start this thread. The most iconic bike meeting place is the Ace Cafe on Londons North Circular Road. originally a transport cafe when the North circular was part of the main route from London to the North it was soon adopted by bikers at night and weekends. With the coming of the motorways it closed down and became a tyre depot until by the efforts of one man it was reopened as a bike cafe. We used to use it on a fairly regular basis in the 60s until it closed down and now try to get there when we can.
The only famous meeting place (other than rallies like Daytona & Sturgis) that I know of in the USA is the Rock Store and I don't really know much about that. I would be interested to hear about other famous meeting places both in the USA and other countries.
I hope you folks don't find this too boring

The Ace Cafe or as locals would pronounce it caff
dcp_2519.jpg

Inside the Ace

DCP_0830.jpg

These gates to the park opposite were put up as a tribute by the local council. The railway arches go over the N.Circular road and were sadly the place more than one rider met his end during a "Burn Up"

DCP_0822.jpg

Here in the states we have local places we meet on different nights of the week, like Hooters on Wednesdays. In your first picture rock who's the chap in the Darth Vader outfit? Or do all Brits were vinyl while riding?:eek:

Here in the states we have local places we meet on different nights of the week, like Hooters on Wednesdays. In your first picture rock who's the chap in the Darth Vader outfit? Or do all Brits were vinyl while riding?:eek:
We have loads of local meets too usually just one evening a week unlike back in the 60s when the cafes would be open every night and in some cases all night. I was thinking more of places like the Rock store whos reputation spreads far and wide. As to your question about the guy in the Darth Vader outfit do you mean the one standing berween the Triumphs with his back to us? if so wearing a leather jacket with textile trousers and bike boots is not unusual. i usually do it the other way round with a textile jacket and leather jeans. This mean I only have to carry leggings and not a full waterproof oversuit. On days when it is 99% likely to stay dry i will wear a leather jacket. 99% is the best we get in the UK and that's unusual

When I lived in Holland, PA, I used to ride to the small town of New Hope, PA. About a 30 minute ride from my house through some nice countryside, a lot of bikers congregate there for comradery and outdoor dining. The entire section is lined with interesting shops and cafes. I snatched this photo from the web but it is of New Hope.

New Hope PA.jpg

Another place bikers like to make a trip to is Welcome to Bills Old Bike Barn Bill has a 1957 Moto Guzzi there in pristie condition that I'd love to have on display in my living room.

We have a famous motorcycle hang out in the south eastern US called Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. The "resort" is a small establishment with a fuel station, restaurant, a few hotel rooms, and a small camping area. It's situated at one end of a famous section of a two lane US highway, Route 129. The section is called "Tail of the Dragon", and claims to have 318 curves in 11 miles. I've ridden it many times (but haven't counted the curves myself-too busy!).

The "Dragon" is primarily ridden by motorcyclists, although it's open to ALL traffic. On a nice day the parking lot at the Gap might have 60 or more bikes of all kinds, from full touring machine, cruisers, sport bikes, scooters, and an occasional sporty car. The bikes cycle through as they come and go, and you can kick back and watch the variety or strike up a conversation or two.

Photographers sit along side the Dragon and snap photos of everything that goes by, including trucks, bikes, cars, and the occasional ambulance or wrecker. If you ride the road, your photo WILL be on line in a few days.

There is of course, the "tree of shame", which has hanging bits of motorcycle fairings, wheels, frame parts, and a few R.I.P.s for those that lost their life to the "Dragon."

Best check the Web site for photos: dealsgap.com, Deals Gap, NC information. The Dragon, US129, Great Smoky Mountains. The Dragon at Deals Gap.

Greg

Last edited:
There is also another hangout in California further north than the Rock Store. Between Santa Barbara and Santa Maria there is Stagecoach Road (actually was an old stagecoach road which the state of California graciously adorned with some really nice and smooth pavement). The stagecoach stop on this road was converted into a bar called Cold Springs Tavern. I don't know if it still exists, since I haven't been back to that area in over 20 years, but in the day the road was similar to the Tail of the Dragon and the bar rocked. On any given weekend you would see all kinds of groups up there on a ride. Everyone from the Southern California Lamborghini Club to Hell's Angels Hung out there at one time or another.

Bob

We have a famous motorcycle hang out in the south eastern US called Deals Gap Motorcycle Resort. The "resort" is a small establishment with a fuel station, restaurant, a few hotel rooms, and a small camping area. It's situated at one end of a famous section of a two lane US highway, Route 129. The section is called "Tail of the Dragon", and claims to have 318 curves in 11 miles. I've ridden it many times (but haven't counted the curves myself-too busy!).

The "Dragon" is primarily ridden by motorcyclists, although it's open to ALL traffic. On a nice day the parking lot at the Gap might have 60 or more bikes of all kinds, from full touring machine, cruisers, sport bikes, scooters, and an occasional sporty car. The bikes cycle through as they come and go, and you can kick back and watch the variety or strike up a conversation or two.

Photographers sit along side the Dragon and snap photos of everything that goes by, including trucks, bikes, cars, and the occasional ambulance or wrecker. If you ride the road, your photo WILL be on line in a few days.

There is of course, the "tree of shame", which has hanging bits of motorcycle fairings, wheels, frame parts, and a few R.I.P.s for those that lost their life to the "Dragon."

Best check the Web site for photos: dealsgap.com, Deals Gap, NC information. The Dragon, US129, Great Smoky Mountains. The Dragon at Deals Gap.

Greg

Well speaking of photos on the Dragon, check out this photo series to see what happens when you pay attention to the photographer and not the road! It might also be a good example of what is known as "target fixation". You fixate on the Corvette, you hit the Corvette. Ouch!

Xtreme Sports Photography at PhotoReflect.com - The Dragon Oct. 16th, 2012 Tuesday

Last edited:

Greg

I have heard of Deals Gap but thought that it was just the name of a town and of course the "Tail of the Dragon" has featured in a few magazine articles over here

Back