• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

If buying a used NC700x, how far back in the model year would you consider?

Dave Modisette

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The two bikes I now own were bought used. One is 15 years old and is in good condition. However, there's never a day when I am not listening for a funny sound or any little niggle here or there, expecting it to cause me to end my ride early. Haha, and when one is in the shop, I have the other one and hope they both don't stop at the same given time.

So, the most current year is 2015 and the oldest bikes are 2012, AFAICT. That's brand new to me. :rolleyes: I'm assuming that there has been some improvements over the three model years but everyone seems to be telling me that the feature set is basically the same. In the USED market (which seems to be mostly dealers around here) there a few bikes available. Individuals seem to be hanging on to their NCs and I suppose that's a very good thing as it hints that the user base is happy with them or they're not that popular. (There are Versys and V-Stroms available from owners.)

I want something that is dependable and if I do run across a used bike what mileage range should I limit myself to? I tend to think that the NCs won't be like some of the sport bikes where you look for excessive sprocket wear on low mileage bikes as signs of excessive acceleration behavior. And higher mileage isn't always a bad thing because you know the bike hasn't been sitting idle and rusting from the inside out.

Bottom line is that I'm too old to be sitting on the side of the road waiting for someone to pick me up with a bike trailer. :)

For the U.S. market, if I remember correctly, 2012-2013 no changes. 2014 brought in a few changes with a new instrument panel that has gear indicator on the manual (was always there on the DCT) count down meter for when you go onto reserve, slight seat change, color options, and maybe something else I'm forgetting. Basically nifty changes but not what I'd call significant and nothing that would keep me from getting a 12/13. As long as mileage is under 100k, I wouldn't worry about it. Beyond that just the normal things to look at for a used bike.

You are correct that there are only 4 model years of the NC so far, and for the most part they're all the same. I wouldn't shy away from any as long as they're cared for and priced right. I would think the higher mileage units are kept by the owners because they like them, while the low mileage units are for sale because the owners didn't like them. Therefore most units for sale, given that the oldest they could possibly be is 3.5 years (U.S. 2012s did not arrive until mid year), would be low mileage machines.

Just look for a unit in good shape for the right price and don't worry do much about the year or mileage.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the year either. For me it came down to balancing price, condition and mileage. I got a 2014 a few months ago with about 6,400 miles on it for $5k. It is in perfect condition, but was completely stock with zero mods. That's another thing to consider, how much extra are you going to have to put into it for the mods you'd like? So far I've put an additional $1,200 or so into mods (windscreen, handguards, top and side cases, fender extender, crash bars).

The 2014 model year has a couple of recalls - one on the multimeter (instrument panel), another for a starter solenoid, I believe. The multimeter change-out resets the mileage to zero and they put a sticker on the frame indicating the mileage at the time of the change. If you're looking at a 2014 remember it will show fewer miles than it actually has if the recall work has already been done - look for the frame sticker. They put mine in the area below the handlebars. My odometer indicates 500 or so miles when there's actually almost 7,000 on the bike. I don't care about that but if it would bother you avoid the 2014 model year.

I know what you mean about wondering if you're going to get stranded somewhere - the two bikes I sold just prior to buying the NC were 30 and 20 years old, and I never fully trusted them, especially for a long trip. It's nice to not have to worry about that anymore.

Last edited:
The year and the mileage ?? What does that really have to do with the condition of the bike !! I have seen bikes with 50 K on them that were in a lot better condition that some with half the miles. I would rather have a used bike, know the history of it, understand all the maintenance has been done, etc than a wild hope that the one I purchase has been so well taken care of. The year of the bike -- same issues. Find one that has been ridden, taken care of, looks good and that you like.

I'm on a near 4 yr old 45000 mile nc700x that runs better than new uses no oil at all and runs all year round in the worst that Scotlands weather can throw at it and would have no hesitation of `buying` my bike and expect it to run the next 45000 and four years trouble free.

I have a MY 2014 with the *cough* updates and would not hesitate to buy an older pre-2014 model. The "updates" are rather insignificant and in some cases down right annoying. "Oh look! My odometer just disappeared and I get to watch an estimate how much fuel I have used instead! "Yay!"

IMG_5682-M.jpg

I just brought my 2012 700x home yesterday....yay! I was trying to get the best bargain I could possibly find on any middle class "adventure" bike. Found 2014 kawi versys at a nearby dealer for $4999 plus whatever fees they were gonna tack on. While talking to him I told him I was really looking for an NC and he says "you have to see this". Shows me a 2012 700x with 1100 miles on it, Honda tall windshield and Honda centerstand. This thing as clean as never used....$4400 out the door,taxes and all. Very happy with this bike! Put 120 miles on yesterday and planning a very long term relationship with it. Planning my farkle spree now.

Shows me a 2012 700x with 1100 miles on it, Honda tall windshield and Honda centerstand. This thing as clean as never used....$4400 out the door,taxes and all.
Congrats on your deal and welcome to the forum! Hope you have many, MANY (s)miles with your motorcycle.

I just brought my 2012 700x with 1100 miles on it, Honda tall windshield and Honda centerstand. This thing as clean as never used....$4400 out the door,taxes and all. Very happy with this bike! Put 120 miles on yesterday and planning a very long term relationship with it. Planning my farkle spree now.

Sounds like a great deal that you found for that price. CONGRATS are in fact in order to you. Also greetings from SoCal...

Japanese motorcycles are not known to retain their value. Most models typically lose half their value within the first 2-3 years of ownership.

Japanese motorcycles are not known to retain their value. Most models typically lose half their value within the first 2-3 years of ownership.

All the more reason to buy used bikes 2-3 years old. I bought my GL1800 used at 2 years old. 10 years later it was still worth 95% of what I paid for it.

I do not even consider what trade in or resale value will be when I purchase a motorcycle. If I like the motorcycle enough to puchase it in the first place, I will just completly wear the motorcycle out.

I do not even consider what trade in or resale value will be when I purchase a motorcycle. If I like the motorcycle enough to puchase it in the first place, I will just completely wear the motorcycle out.

The longest I owned any motorcycle was 10 years, that was my 1975 CB360 that I sold a few months ago. I really do not miss it. All the quirkiness was staring to get "OLD" and lost it's appeal to me. I was a fun bike to restore and ride for all those years.

Second was my ST1300 that I owned for 8 years. I never got the chance to ride it in the manner it was intended for, long distance touring. I took a couple of few hundred miles rides on it, it was great for that and more. I was riding it to work 13 miles and back home for all those years. At times it was like riding a hippo in traffic and you were constantly reminded that you are on an over 700 lb motorcycle. Plus this bike costed me the most to maintain, repair and to insure. I do not miss this bike either, I only miss all the storage it had without a rear bag.

Thank you, I'm VERY happy with it. I only had one good weather day with it so far, spent all yesterday just staring at it....gonna be a LONG winter. Cant wait to dig into the forum and start planning a trip or 2 (or 3) for spring.

Well, to button up my part of this thread, I just put a deposit on a new 2013 model that I found a three hour drive from home. I've got them installing the Honda trunk, saddle bags, extended windscreen and center stand. I should be set for a long period of care free riding. Yeeehaw!

Good for you! I'm sure you will have many happy miles. Welcome in joining the crew!

Oh yeah....pics, or it didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Well, to button up my part of this thread, I just put a deposit on a new 2013 model that I found a three hour drive from home. I've got them installing the Honda trunk, saddle bags, extended windscreen and center stand. I should be set for a long period of care free riding. Yeeehaw!

Congrats on the purchase! 2013 was a good model year. But don't think you're set for many carefree miles. The farkle fever will come soon.

Congratulations. Did you get the X or DCT? Either way, you'll love it.

Back