• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

If you had to run 11,000 miles in 11 days..

For me it would require a much bigger tank, IV of caffeine, and a catheter. So...I guess I'm out of the IBR running. But I think that with a bigger tank, decent windshield, seat solution, and highway pegs someone else could do it. There are a lot of little things, like ways to access food/water and a navigation solution, but that stuff is easy to add. The (much) smaller scale rallies I've done similar to this have been a lot of fun.

Now days there is a security guard at almost every rest stop, so sleeping on the tables has become a thing of the pass. Having to find a state park and putting up a tent has taken a few hours out of every day. So to really ride, you will have to sleep under bridges to make any time. This will almost have to be a spring or fall ride.

Carrying an extra 3 gallons of gas only takes 15 to 20 minutes out of every 4 hours if you pick good stopping places. Must ride 12 hours and sleep 6 hours to make it in 11 days. Carry lots of rubbing alcohol for all the places you will rub raw. Must have a little time for the unplanned that always happens. So if you are hardcore, and can somehow stand 11 days of interstates, it can be done!

Last edited:
Now days there is a security guard at almost every rest stop, so sleeping on the tables has become a thing of the pass. Having to find a state park and putting up a tent has taken a few hours out of every day. So to really ride, you will have to sleep under bridges to make any time. This will almost have to be a spring or fall ride.

Carrying an extra 3 gallons of gas only takes 15 to 20 minutes out of every 4 hours if you pick good stopping places. Must ride 12 hours and sleep 6 hours to make it in 11 days. Carry lots of rubbing alcohol for all the places you will rub raw. Must have a little time for the unplanned that always happens. So if you are hardcore, and can somehow stand 11 days of interstates, it can be done!

where is it acceptable to catch 4-5 hours of sleep?

The math doesn't work for this event. To make 1000 miles in 12 hours is an 83 mph average. That might be riding constant 95 mph between stops. To make 1000 in 18 hours is 56 mph average. To do this is riding about 70-72 mph constant between stops. NC won't run 4 hours on a stock tank unless you ride under well under 70 mph then it cuts into miles made or lengthens the riding day.

As you know the IBR is also a competition and just riding 11,000 in 11 days isn't the goal of entrants that are competitors. They want to amass the most points and the mileage to do that is secondary.

Last edited:
The math doesn't work for this event. To make 1000 miles in 12 hours is an 83 mph average. That might be riding constant 95 mph between stops. To make 1000 in 18 hours is 56 mph average. To do this is riding about 70-72 mph constant between stops. NC won't run 4 hours on a stock tank unless you ride under well under 70 mph then it cuts into miles made or lengthens the riding day.

As you know the IBR is also a competition and just riding 11,000 in 11 days isn't the goal of entrants that are competitors. They want to amass the most points and the mileage to do that is secondary.
When I did my Ironbutt 1000 back on labor day weekend, it was all interstate, I rode between tanks-only made stops when I needed fuel, kept my speedo between 72-74mph. All my stops for gas was gas and go with a quick bathroom break-from the time I let off the throttle to take the off ramps and get back on the throttle getting on the interstate was 12-14 minutes-max. I did take one extra long fuel stop break, since their rules state you cant submit less than an 18 hour ride for 1000 miles (took me 18 hour 4 minutes). My one long fuel stop break was about an hour, hour 15 minute, west of Tallahassee Florida, when I got to the I-10/(I-75 interchange, I had to do the next 55 miles at 40-45 mph due to the torrential rains.

So, if you do all interstate riding, keep fuel stop breaks to less than 15 minutes each (about every 2.5-3 hours) and ride at 75mph between the breaks, it can be done in 16-16.5 hours. The IBR though is about points amassed by going certain places, seeing certain sites and amassing the points-numerous of these are not on the interstate corridors.

When I did my Ironbutt 1000 back on labor day weekend, it was all interstate, I rode between tanks-only made stops when I needed fuel, kept my speedo between 72-74mph. All my stops for gas was gas and go with a quick bathroom break-from the time I let off the throttle to take the off ramps and get back on the throttle getting on the interstate was 12-14 minutes-max. I did take one extra long fuel stop break, since their rules state you cant submit less than an 18 hour ride for 1000 miles (took me 18 hour 4 minutes). My one long fuel stop break was about an hour, hour 15 minute, west of Tallahassee Florida, when I got to the I-10/(I-75 interchange, I had to do the next 55 miles at 40-45 mph due to the torrential rains.

So, if you do all interstate riding, keep fuel stop breaks to less than 15 minutes each (about every 2.5-3 hours) and ride at 75mph between the breaks, it can be done in 16-16.5 hours. The IBR though is about points amassed by going certain places, seeing certain sites and amassing the points-numerous of these are not on the interstate corridors.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you did the entire ride without stopping for food? I can't gas up, use the bathroom and eat in 15 minutes. Unless I did all three at once I suppose...

If I'm understanding you correctly, you did the entire ride without stopping for food? I can't gas up, use the bathroom and eat in 15 minutes. Unless I did all three at once I suppose...

I ate a hot dog and a small ice cream cone when I stopped west of Tallahassee. I take a few gulps of soda at the gas stops (only time I drink sugar soda). I don't eat breakfast and when I am on long rides, usually just have a candy bar/power bar for lunch. When I got to my destination in Florida (8 miles from the official completion of the ride) around 1230am, I did eat a small meal-really wasn't that hungry. I carry enough weight around my midsection to last me a few days :): I don't take any medication so I don't have to worry about that during the rides. Except for my fat gut, I am fairly healthy for 56 years old (I haven't seen a doctor in almost 8 years and only twice in the past 20 years). I don't smoke so I don't have to take 'smoke' breaks at the fuel stops. I always pay at the pump and if the bathroom doors are located on the outside of the building, I don't remove my helmet-just the gloves.

This was my first 1000 Iron butt ride; however, 2-3 times a year I make 800 mile, 13 hour trips from Indiana to Florida and back (so 4-6 times a year). On those trips, no I don't eat except for a candy bar/power bar-just gas and go with the bathroom call-it is all Interstate only, except for the 8 miles from my Indiana home to I-65 and the 15 miles from I-75 to my Florida house.

Now for legal purposes: I do NOT recommend this type of riding to anyone-I know the capabilities of my body when I am riding, when I need to drink more and snack on a power bar. When I ride from Indiana to Florida, I want to get to Florida-not interested in sight-seeing, wasting time at stops, etc... and when I leave Florida to ride to Indiana, I want to get home to Indiana as fast as possible.

Now I am in the planning to see how quick I can ride from Indiana, down the Natchez trace, over to the river road along the Mississippi river, ride north to the beginning of the mighty Mississippi and back home to Indiana. I think 3 days is all I need around Memorial day weekend-I will schedule 4 just in case. To me, it is all about the riding, not the sight-seeing.

There is no rule about 18 hour minimum for a Saddle Sore 1000. Of the four I've done two on the NC were less than 18 hours and one on the Tiger was less than 17 hours. Three have been certified and I just submitted the Tiger's last week. The IBR supposedly carefully reviews each submission and if time and distance between two documented stops requires an unsafe speed to achieve then the ride attempt will not be approved.

I use a spread sheet for IBA rides that I log the In and Out times for each stop. A gas and go stop can be 8 or 10 minutes but gas and a snack or gas and a potty stop is usually 18 to 20 minutes for me.

Last edited:
There is no rule about 18 hour minimum for a Saddle Sore 1000. Of the four I've done two on the NC were less than 18 hours and one on the Tiger was less than 17 hours. Three have been certified and I just submitted the Tiger's last week. The IBR supposedly carefully reviews each submission and if time and distance between two documented stops requires an unsafe speed to achieve then the ride attempt will not be approved.

I use a spread sheet for IBA rides that I log the In and Out times for each stop. A gas and go stop can be 8 or 10 minutes but gas and a snack or gas and a potty stop is usually 18 to 20 minutes for me.

Dang, I read their instructions incorrectly, this is what their instructions state: mileages in excess of 1,800 miles in less than 24 hours will not be published. I thought for sure I read they wouldn't publish 1000 miles in less than 18 hours somewhere-I have to go back and read my original paperwork-I probably just misread it-my bad.

DDuelin-wow, you are way more anal about documenting rides than I am. I just glance at my clock when I get off and on the Interstate, make a mental note, and don't think about the times anymore. When I am getting off the interstate, I make sure I can see a gas station (no more than a block or so from the Interstate-if I cant see it, I go to another exit. I am not like OCR, I start looking for stops just before the blinking bars start. I am lucky, most of the I-65 has a gas station every 10-15 miles from Indiana to Mobile, Alabama-I think the greatest distance between exits was like 20 miles. I-10 from Mobile to I-75 isn't much more, at least an exit with a close gas station every 15 or so miles. When I get 3/4ths empty I start watching the billboards for exits, they are everywhere and then I decide which exit I am going to take-the more billboards for an exit, the more chance there is a gas station very close to the exit.

On my ride, most of the ride was rain free-even though I was riding into, in and around a major system in the southeast-this was the same day the University of Florida canceled a football game because of the weather. I ran into a small drizzle for about 20 miles just south of Nashville, rain free until I got to Mobile, ran thru a 20 mile squall just north of Mobile on I-10-about blew me off that dang tall bridge, then was rain free again until I got to the I-10/I-75 exchange, then hit that gulley washer, even the cars wasn't doing more than 40-45mph for 10-15 miles, and hard rain for the next 55 miles. For the last 100 miles on the I-10, I was west of the storm system (it was going west to east) and I watched beautiful lightening in the sky (it was 0 dark thirty). I didn't put on my rain gear (the drizzle in TN and squall at Mobile felt good-warm rain) and was soaked to the bones by the time I finished. I thought the storm was going to stay ahead of me, but oh well, I am not made out of sugar and wont melt. Lucky, it was a warm rain. The storm had knocked out power in Lake City Florida and numerous places in Gainesville. By the time I got to Archer, the power had just came back on.

This ride was one of those bucket list rides and probably wont do another one like it-keeping track of the receipts/times/paperwork at least was a pita to me. I have a couple more bucket list rides, one to do the Mississippi River Road ride and another to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devil's tower.

The IBA qualifying RBLA 1000 in the UK, last weekend in June each year to raise money for ex service personnel (royal British Legion Riders Association) has a minimum completion time of 16 hours.

Dang, I read their instructions incorrectly, this is what their instructions state: mileages in excess of 1,800 miles in less than 24 hours will not be published. I thought for sure I read they wouldn't publish 1000 miles in less than 18 hours somewhere-I have to go back and read my original paperwork-I probably just misread it-my bad.

DDuelin-wow, you are way more anal about documenting rides than I am. I just glance at my clock when I get off and on the Interstate, make a mental note, and don't think about the times anymore. When I am getting off the interstate, I make sure I can see a gas station (no more than a block or so from the Interstate-if I cant see it, I go to another exit. I am not like OCR, I start looking for stops just before the blinking bars start. I am lucky, most of the I-65 has a gas station every 10-15 miles from Indiana to Mobile, Alabama-I think the greatest distance between exits was like 20 miles. I-10 from Mobile to I-75 isn't much more, at least an exit with a close gas station every 15 or so miles. When I get 3/4ths empty I start watching the billboards for exits, they are everywhere and then I decide which exit I am going to take-the more billboards for an exit, the more chance there is a gas station very close to the exit.

On my ride, most of the ride was rain free-even though I was riding into, in and around a major system in the southeast-this was the same day the University of Florida canceled a football game because of the weather. I ran into a small drizzle for about 20 miles just south of Nashville, rain free until I got to Mobile, ran thru a 20 mile squall just north of Mobile on I-10-about blew me off that dang tall bridge, then was rain free again until I got to the I-10/I-75 exchange, then hit that gulley washer, even the cars wasn't doing more than 40-45mph for 10-15 miles, and hard rain for the next 55 miles. For the last 100 miles on the I-10, I was west of the storm system (it was going west to east) and I watched beautiful lightening in the sky (it was 0 dark thirty). I didn't put on my rain gear (the drizzle in TN and squall at Mobile felt good-warm rain) and was soaked to the bones by the time I finished. I thought the storm was going to stay ahead of me, but oh well, I am not made out of sugar and wont melt. Lucky, it was a warm rain. The storm had knocked out power in Lake City Florida and numerous places in Gainesville. By the time I got to Archer, the power had just came back on.

This ride was one of those bucket list rides and probably wont do another one like it-keeping track of the receipts/times/paperwork at least was a pita to me. I have a couple more bucket list rides, one to do the Mississippi River Road ride and another to Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devil's tower.
I hope you get to make those bucket list rides and more.

Anal?, I guess I am. I do keep records, could even tell you when I changed the brake fluid.

The less extreme IBA rides are easy to accomplish as long as you can sit on a bike long enough and twist the throttle for the required time. The time distance equation allows each stop could be an hour or more plus a short nap and still come in under 24 hours. In the Midwest and east gas is plentiful and if you know the route well winging it really isn't winging it because of acquired prior knowledge. When you get into longer distances on unfamiliar roads in the same time interval then time management and route planning becomes more critical (more anal?). If a rider is keeping an accurate log they know how much time could potentially be used for rest or mechanical, traffic, or weather delays. When I did the Bun Burner 1500 I knew exactly where I was going to buy gas and calculated the estimated time of each planned stop. I knew my target was 21 hours 30 minutes with a 150 minute cushion. When I got really sleepy in west TX at 1400 something miles I knew I could afford a 30 or 60 minute nap in a rest area. I only needed 20 but their was no uncertainty or extra stress on me because I had been riding to my plan all day and had a cushion of time "in the bank".

As far as eating was handled, I took power bars, apples, trail mix, hard candies in the frunk or tank bag and ate while riding or during a gas stop. I ate one sit-down meal a day usually lunch. I drank water rationed by time so I didn't have to stop to pee between gas stops. So many sips every 15 or 20 minutes so I could kind of quantify intake. If I had to go in 2 hours I cut back the amount of sips or lengthened the time between sips so I could ride the bladder 3 hours 40 minutes. I learned this from an IBR top 25 finisher. This might make you laugh but with the ST's 7.7 gallon tank the legs were nearly 4 hours long and in 100+ degree temps I was required to drink enough water to stay hydrated. Over two days I rode about 2100 miles in temps 95 to 105, from MS to southern CA then up the valley to San Francisco. It was 103 to 107 in the valley on I-5.

Last edited:
On my ride, the only part of the ride I was unfamiliar was from Montgomery, AL to Mobile on I-65 and from Mobile, Al to Tallahassee FL on I-10. Rest of the Interstates I have ridden numerous times; researching MapQuest, google maps and Google Earth showed me there were plenty of exits, gas stations from Mobile to Tallahassee. I knew I could easily do the 1000 mile ride since I have done about 2 dozen 800 mile rides in 13 hours (yea, I ride to Florida from Indiana and vice versa quite a lot). If my bladder is screaming by the time I get to a fuel stop, I know to cut back on the fluid intake, if my fingers start to cramp, I know to increase my fluid intake.
DDuelin- have you ever rode around the state of Florida? If so, how is Hwy 1/ A1A along the Atlantic coast. I am familiar with US19 on the west side from Tampa to the Georgia border and US19 is BORING and no views of the Gulf north of Homosassa. I am thinking in the next couple of years doing a ride around Florida

A1A is straight, but I love it anyway. Start in Amelia Island, and take the ferry in Mayport. North of Mayport, it is mostly nature preserve. South of Mayport, not counting St. Augustine, there are about 20 miles where the beach side of the road is protected from development.

A1A is straight, but I love it anyway. Start in Amelia Island, and take the ferry in Mayport. North of Mayport, it is mostly nature preserve. South of Mayport, not counting St. Augustine, there are about 20 miles where the beach side of the road is protected from development.
I have been on A1A south of St Augustine for a few miles, had a picnic with my wife on the beach a few years ago.

To the OP:

I'll be running my NC700XD in 2015. :)

Mods I've made to mine:
1. Used a spare key that's bungee-corded to my main ignition key - that way I can access my frunk without having to remove the ignition key
2. Removed the pillion seat and had a friend custom-make me a 3.5 gallon gravity-feed fuel cell (3.3 is the most I put in there) - gives me roughly 350 mile range the way I ride.
10676881_10152318409081266_520217574_o.jpg
3. I have to redo the hydration system - I've used a 6 liter military issue Camelbak (known as a SixBak) for years on my previous rallybike (2004 Honda Silverwing) and run a long hose to the handlebar, secured with keyreels. I plan on switching to a jug - I haven't decided if I want it on the right passenger peg or engine guard.
4. Madstad windshield - well worth the money. :)
5. Added LEDrider.com LR4 floodlights on the engine guard, and Cyclops Optimus spotlights on the Madstad windshield baseplate using L-brackets from Home Depot
6. Added an oiler. I have had a Pro-Oiler (with GPS module) but it's failed me several times, once during Butt Lite 7, and the pump has died. I've since replaced with a Tutoro oiler: Tutoro Auto - Deluxe Edition - AdventureTech, LLC.
7. Added an Enduristan Sandstorm 2E tankbag - it's very spacious and fully waterproof, means that I have to unclip it if I need to access my frunk, but the frunk is where I put my air compressor and most tools so I don't have to access it too often. Enduristan: Sandstorm 3E Tankbag
8. Rox 1 7/8" risers - I still think I need a little bit more height though; would have to get new brake lines cos they're at the limit.
9. I had a Kontour seat made. Pretty disappointed, considering the almost $800 cost. Granted, I don't have a back seat so that might be why I'm not as comfortable but I was hoping for Russell Day-Long type comfort. Instead, I have a seat that's less uncomfortable than stock BUT I don't hurt after a SS1K, AND I can ride tank to tank (I start looking when the odometer switches to the reserve gas counter).

I'll probably carry also 2 spare chains with me (I have a habit of destroying chains - first one totally fell off the sprocket at 12k, second one got donated to the town of Richmond, VA last weekend at 8k). I'm a pretty conservative LDrider - I don't go too fast, I don't go off road, and I like my sleep. I highly doubt I'll do 11k during 2015; I had one of the lowest miles in Butt Lite 7 at just over 4000 in 6 days. Of course, I also only placed 40 out of 49 finishers, lol.

Hammy

To the OP:

I'll be running my NC700XD in 2015. :)
Ok, now there are least two :)

I know your name from the NELDRiders list....I imagine this new ride is quite a bit different from your normal LD mount, eh?

Rob from Maine here....use that handle so as to distance myself from Rob the Rally Bastard....I have about six or seven MM1000 rally flags hanging in my garage, along with one 2011 IBR flag... # 41...the rider that killed a mountain lion on day 10 and 1/2 :-(

I was hoping that with a quality set of sprockets and chain that I could run the entire rally. I'm about 2,300 miles from the start so I'm guessing that means new sprockets and chain when I get to the hotel?? Not really interested in an oiler...should I be? Haven't had a chain driven bike since 1985.... My 2014 has 8,000 miles so far and I think I've adjusted the chain twice...so far, so good....Like you, I'm not thinking 11,000 miles but I do think 9,000 as a slam-dunk minimum for a rear plate. With the right route of course ;-)

Planning on a 3 gallon Tourtech tank which will be mounted on a steel plate (already installed) that replaces the passenger seat. Not sure how to plumb it..did you drill directly into the stock tank? I'm planning on using a ball valve to control flow and obviously this would be gravity feed, same as my GL1800 that I used in 2011.

I have the tank sitting in my garage, just not sure where to start drilling the holes in the stock tank...

Stock handlebars and seat seem to fit ok so far....1K in 24 hours? BTDT and no real problems...I know, a lot different than 11 days but I'm thinking I can do it....My concern is leg position...I would like to move my legs around a bit...Highway pegs would be great, but right now, I have no place to mount them (bike is stock)...My GL used Mic O pegs and I absolutely loved them...would like to find a way to get those bad boys mounted...

What are you doing for throttle? I know I will miss the electronic cruise control of the GL so I have a throttle lock installed. Used it a bit and it seems "OK" but a bit scary in any kind of traffic. i'm thinking it would be useful as rest for my right hand when droning out west but other than that? Not so much...

Would appreciate it if you let me know how you plumbed up the aux tank....

IMG_5725-M.jpg

IMG_5711-M.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! You're both running the 2015 IBR! On DCT's!

As for drilling the tank I've seen mention somewhere on here that folks have added an auxiliary tank's plumbing by drilling into the gas cap, not the tank. But what do I know, Hammy seems to have figured it out already.

I completed the 2008 MM1000 Saddle Sore ride on a 2003 Honda Silver Wing in 23 hours, 38 minutes. My IBA number is 35034. Good luck.

Ok, now there are least two :)

Snipped...My GL used Mic O pegs and I absolutely loved them...would like to find a way to get those bad boys mounted...

I installed a set of Mick-O-Pegs on my 1995 PC800 in a last ditch attempt to make the riding position more comfortable. They worked fine and if I still had them I would try to mount them to the Givi engine bars I have on the NC.

Back