• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

If you have a OEM Topcase, a question for you...

PortlandZinMan

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do the silver panels come off easy? I am actually thinking of added the top box, but would need to paint the silver panels red. I guess I could just tape them off in place, but if they actually are removable, it saves a lot of taping....

IMG_5368.jpg

The 2012 model has a couple screws holding it in place, maybe some glue underneath to keep it from rattling (haven't tried removing mine). You could probably carefully remove them, clean off the residue, then reinstall with thin rubber pads or fresh glue.
Edit: Hmm, well I guess they all probably use the same OEM luggage. lol

Last edited:
I have a 2012 with the EOM top case and I believe they might be glued along with the screws. I had a screw fall out and have no idea how long it was gone but the panel never moved. My thought is the screws were more for decoration. LOL. To make it look bolted on.

glued and screwed on. I prefer satin black. I removed the screws and found the thin panels glued on. I abandoned the idea thinking I would damage the panels getting them off. I did not think I could get a satisfactory result with tape and can spray paint. I think a skilled hand could carefully remove the panels using a heat gun.

Nice color on your bike!

I have the opposite question - what about painting the black plastic? Things inside the box get cooked in the sun in the summer - has anyone painted the plastic part a lighter color? How does one paint that kind of plastic?

Last edited:
Nice color on your bike!

I have the opposite question - what about painting the black plastic? Things inside the box get cooked in the sun in the summer - has anyone painted the plastic part a lighter color? How does one paint that kind of plastic?

Shouldn't be too hard - clean the plastic well, use a good primer and then paint with a high quality automotive grade spray paint. I took my time and let everything dry well between coats (my project took two days total as I also clear coated) and it is holding up very well.

Nice color on your bike!

Use a plastic adhesion promoter like this:
Adhesion Promoter | AutomotiveTouchup

Then primer, base color, and clear coat.

Back