• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ignition dead

Neilp

Reaction score
Visit site
Went to start the bike last Monday morning and she was dead - not a thing!
Anyway I've had chance to have a look today and found that the ignition wire had completely corroded through on the connector block. I've cut out the OE block and fitted a new one to sort the problem but a bit suprised that this had happened.
I do commute 112miles a day in all weathers (42k on clock) but still...

Anyway, a heads up if anyone else has problems
image.jpg

If I remember correctly, early on someone else in the UK had an issue with moisture in a connector. I've though about going through all of the connectors and coating them in dielectric grease to make sure water isn't getting in them.

The lack of grease on any part of these bikes during assembly is an issue. Mines 7 weeks old with 700 miles on it. It was covered in acf50 from day one and is still suffering from corrosion. So much for Hondas supposed high build quality! I've been riding European bikes for years so this battle with corrosion is a new thing for me.

The lack of grease on any part of these bikes during assembly is an issue. Mines 7 weeks old with 700 miles on it. It was covered in acf50 from day one and is still suffering from corrosion. So much for Hondas supposed high build quality! I've been riding European bikes for years so this battle with corrosion is a new thing for me.

Strange how it works, eh?

I never had any particular problems or issues with corrosion on any of my bikes before. But my BMW! Good lord. It was as if the thing got dipped into an acid bath. The paint all peeled off the engine, the fasteners all rusted, it was disgusting, and an insult to injury considering the entire rest of the bike fell apart and failed as well. I suffered with it and constant warranty problems for three years before giving up and trading it in for my NCX.

My made in Thailand CBR125R had infinitely superior to the BMW, build quality.

Thanks for that. I am just having a slight problem locating the plug from your pic. Could you point me in the general direction so that I can do some preventative lubing etc.

I think I'll follow Griff's wise thinking on this matter and poke at that plug (and any others I might spy) with some dielectric as a preventative just-in-case measure too.

Sorry yours got a bit zombiefied, but thanks again for the head's up, Neil :)

Strange how it works, eh?

I never had any particular problems or issues with corrosion on any of my bikes before. But my BMW! Good lord. It was as if the thing got dipped into an acid bath. The paint all peeled off the engine, the fasteners all rusted, it was disgusting, and an insult to injury considering the entire rest of the bike fell apart and failed as well. I suffered with it and constant warranty problems for three years before giving up and trading it in for my NCX.

My made in Thailand CBR125R had infinitely superior to the BMW, build quality.

I won't go anywhere near the new bmws. The quality took a dive after they stopped making the 1100 range around 2000.

I remember seeing Honda auto engine bay, boot shrouded connectors filled w/dielectric but see that on nothing now.

Connectors are the weak link in wiring. I install crimped connectors instead of solder when doing any wiring work, but add an anti-oxidation paste to the joint.
Dielectric is messing but adding a small amount to any connector, IMO is worth the effort, especially in weather exposed areas.

I remember seeing Honda auto engine bay, boot shrouded connectors filled w/dielectric but see that on nothing now.

Connectors are the weak link in wiring. I install crimped connectors instead of solder when doing any wiring work, but add an anti-oxidation paste to the joint.
Dielectric is messing but adding a small amount to any connector, IMO is worth the effort, especially in weather exposed areas.

The English have a tough environment for corrosion. I remember years back the Transalp guys having spoke nipple corrosion at the rim causing the spokes to pull through the rim. Not a problem in other locations......but in England it was an issue.

Fred your showing your age with grease in the connectors ;):(
Almost every connector exposed to the weather in the automotive industry is now sealed. The level of sealing or protection varies on the importance of the circuit:

DSCN1851.jpgDSCN1852.jpg

Many of the NC connectors are sealed, like the speed sensor:

DSCN1853.jpgDSCN1854.jpg

AS OTHERS have said........Silicon seal on the wire side of the connector in question, grease ( dielectric) on the inside might be a good upgrade for those in the tough environment.

Last edited:
The rubber sealed connectors in your pictures are very common on my Accord and yes, my age is showing regarding dielectric filled connectors of yesterday.

My NC does have a few of the sealed connectors but everything behind the panels could use a dielectric shot. 10 years down the road is when those connectors will start showing their age.
GB Ox-Gard states ' guards against oxidation, improves conductivity and produces a cooler connection'. How can one argue w/that!? ;)

Back