• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'm tired of hearing people calling the NC750X Soulless and boring

Don

Reaction score
Visit site
This summer, I was able to test drive a CB500X and had read many good things about it and it's soul, so needless to say I was curious. I was quite disappointed. It felt like I was sitting on it ... not at all part of it. Maybe I didn't rev the snot out of it enough, but I didn't find it to have any special soul. I actually enjoyed the CBR500R much more. Maybe it was the riding position making me feel like I was on a race bike. :) When I road my NC back home that day, my thoughts were humf .. I still like my NC better. It feels more planted and sturdier and more powerful ... but the CBR500R WAS fun to ride. I really like how it looks and the flickability on the road.

anyway I've been thinking about the things that I like about my NC750X that always put a smile on my face. Like only slightly twisting the throttle in the Car Wash. There is some nice tones that come from this engine when driving in a cavernous cement room and occasionally at certain speeds and wind directions on the road ... and yes this is with the factory muffler. Next the soulless power band ... drop down 2 gears and tell me that. It's got a little. When I test drove the SV650 this summer I thought it had less soul than the NC ... that was until I dropped it down 2 gears as well. Then I had to hand it to the sweet little SV. Oh OH Oh I found where they stashed the 70 something horsepowers. Yes it felt like it had more hp than the NC but it felt strange to sit on it. Didn't feel at home on it as it felt kind of smallish.

... back to the NC ... When pulling away from a stop, find the perfect not too heavy throttle position that produces the slightly cruiser like putta putta, and take 2nd way early .. half way ... no quarter way through the intersection for a little more deeper voiced torque inspired tones.

Third gear really depends if you want to distance the traffic behind you or just sit back and keep a bit more safety zone between you and the car in front of you. For a little more sport open the throttle and ride 2nd to near RED LINE and then do it again in Third. That should take you right up to cruising speed or or or 2nd gear to city speed and ride in third for much better throttle response. I've often left it in fourth when riding 80 - 90 Kph in our somewhat twisty area when speeding up and slowing down a lot for the corners. The NC can really be quite sporty if you want it to be.

I tell my friends that I only have 52 hp and I use all of them. :) The guy with the 140hp bike is hard pressed to actually experience this power ... especially on the streets. I went to several motorcycle demo rides this summer and tested out bikes like the GSX250R to the GSX1000S to mention the lowest and highest powered memorable rides. The 1000S was memorable because I was a little scared of the bike with it's 145hp. It didn't matter what gear I was in and it pulled like crazy with the slightest throttle input. The GSX250R with it's 27.4hp was so grin inspiring when running it up passed 10k rpm and then doing it again through the next gear. Felt like a race inspired ride and then you look down at the gauges and you're just nicely at highway speed. I would love to own that bike for driving back and forth to town.

I am an NC750X owner. I put on around 10K kilometres a year and we can only drive 6 months a year. I like my bike. It gets washed and waxed often ... there is pride of ownership ... but it never stays clean. I get lots of nice compliments during frequent parking lot conversations when I'm out on my grocery shopping expeditions. Any excuse for a ride is a good one. I have no concern about putting more miles on my bike. I'm not saving them. I got this bike to ride. It's my summer mode of transportation when ever and where ever possible... well at least up to about 29(83F) degrees celsius and down to around 10(50F) celsius. and and and maybe not in a thunder storm. :)

anyway ... what did YOU do on your NC today? :)

Don

I will shortly have a hybrid version of the NC 750 and I can't wait, albeit it will be quite different in appearance to my former NC700X. However I agree with your sentiments. If ridden well, these bikes can hang with much more exalted company as long as the roads are twisty.

I wanted to post a photo of my friendly fun NC750X.
36316541131_38ce67c355_h.jpg

The NC is a miracle bike. The adventures mine took me on can fill books, and that with piece of mind and on a shoestring budget. The bike is boring to petrol heads and that is not my world, respectfully. I now have a bike twice as powerful and I miss my NC and will one day get another.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The NC is a miracle bike. The adventures mine took me on can fill books, and that with piece of mind and on a shoestring budget. The bike is boring to petrol heads and that is not my world, respectfully. I now have a bike twice as powerful and I miss my NC and will one day get another.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have owned my bike a little over a year now, took delivery of a brand new 2016 DCT in May 2016, rode spring summer and fall, spent 5 months of winter garaged.

I now have 13,000 miles on it, ride it every day to work as a commuter, plus weekend day trips to various places and fun roads, I have done four weeklong camping trips and about to leave on another in a few hours.

My neighbor has a Harley that he rides to the bar/the weekly bike night, and back.

I wanted to post a photo of my friendly fun NC750X.
36316541131_38ce67c355_h.jpg

Good pic of a handsome motorcycle. I have used an old pair of E21's for years and they get swapped from bike to bike. I mount mine with the tall side of the lid forward though, not that it makes any difference other than appearance. Great little panniers for weekend expeditions.

Most of the "dull and soulless" comments might come from people who have not owned, or even ridden, an NC of any variety or color.
They read or hear one person say it and it continues on.
Remember the comment the NC engine was a Fit engine cut in half and many continued to state that as fact?

Could also be those that need to lay down and feel/act like a MotoGP rider.
Or those that need 100 plus horsepower to feel the bike is acceptable.
Some just like the looks and sounds of a cruiser or a Harley and that is the only thing acceptable in their eyes.

To really appreciate the NC you must ride it and not just one time.
The more you spend time with anyone or anything the more it becomes a part of you and you understand it better.
The NC, for getting the great gas mileage, is a great bike that can carry supplies, can run 2 up, can exceed any speed limit, and can go more places than most of the other bikes.

Ride an NC for what it is, not for what it is not.

Don - Your bike looks awesome!
Good job.

And to the gentleman rider that stated the Harleys are used mostly for bar hopping, I loved it!

Have a great day riding everyone!

God bless!!

Michael

I've said this before, I selected the NC for how I actually ride, not how I "think" i want to ride.

It's only dull and soulless if you don't have a use for it or don't understand how to get the most out of it. For me as well as enjoying the riding and the open road, it's a way to reach some places to do a bit of hiking, and to see some sights and record them.

2017-07-20 16;34;28 by greenboy, on Flickr

The NC reminds me of that country song where a guy is talking about his rich neighbor.
It goes "my little boat sits in the water, his big boat sits in the drive."

Um, let's take a look at the Iconic BMW R 80 G/S and it's HP and TQ specs. Whoa, pretty close huh? Being a geezer I do seem to recall that press reviews seemed underwhelmed. And now, any MC writer from back then, would give his left leg for one.

Funny how time works these things out. You get it, or you don't.

The NC reminds me of that country song where a guy is talking about his rich neighbor.
It goes "my little boat sits in the water, his big boat sits in the drive."
To me the NC is big boat ; } -- I started out not that long ago owning a 250cc dualsport. If my WR250R could easily do freeway speeds on grades I'd probably never have bought an NC. I rode a number of other mid-displacement off-road-capable MCs looking for a bit more speed, but in the end chose an NC largely because it could get exceptional fuel economy. But my test ride impressed me with the handling, and the engine character which was decidedly different than others I had ridden. Instantly got the short shifting torque and the huge difference between a 11.5K and a 6.3K redline.

Maybe MC journalists didn't get the NC, but lots of riders and other folk have remarked on the NC and seem to think it's cool.

Hi FlyinFree!
Sorry for the delay.
I just had to drill two extra holes (If I remember correctly) in the Givi mounting arms. I didn't want to drill the Shad mounting plate as it's plastic already and I didn't want to weaken it.

Back