• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Infra-red Imaging of NC700x DCT

the4Dman

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have at my disposal an Infra-red imaging camera. my schedule today won't allow me to, but hopefully tomorrow or over the weekend I can Thermally Image the bike. I guess what I can do is start a thread to ask if there are any specific imaging requests (header, pipes, cans, head cover, radiator, etc...) for anyone wanting the info.

a specific question for the moderator, the results will be JPEG images, thermal range graphic, with a temperature/color scale for easy interpretation of the data. where should I post these?

the plan: I would look for the ambient temperature to be around 70 degrees (ISO standard for thermal measurement). I would provide 2 complete sets of data:

1st set: start the bike run at idle approx 5 min, record all points of data (photograph all requested spots)
2nd set: go ride around town for about an hour. park with engine running and in the next minute or so image the bike again.

once the data is posted, it should be available to all members of this community.

so the question for forum members: are there any specific locations on the bike which I should be shooting?

Note, in the words of Johnny 5, NO DISASSEMBLE

As long as my bike runs and takes me places, I'm happy with whatever temperature it wants to be.

I would be interested in the temps in and around the front compartment and where the rider's legs normaly are.

Have fun with the camera, if I had one everything in and around the house, bike, and car would be thermal imaged for weeks and weeks :D

I would be interested in the temps in and around the front compartment and where the rider's legs normaly are.

Have fun with the camera, if I had one everything in and around the house, bike, and car would be thermal imaged for weeks and weeks :D

Hahaha I've had experiences like that, with new toys of varying kinds. Girlfriends, cats, dogs, nothing was safe. None of them were particularly amused either, lol. Go figure :confused:

It would be interesting to see how hot the catalytic converter gets. I also wonder how much heat comes up behind the forks and out the top of the fairing.

The NC header pipe runs down and under the engine, so there would be no heat issues for the rider, but it would be interesting identifying where the hottest area is.

The 03 ST13 (first year) had serious heat issues which was corrected on later models via fuel remapping and strategic addition of heat barriers.
I saw pics of a rider w/water blisters down his shin bones. Really gross to look at. A lot of heat hitting the rider everywhere.

My 04 had some heat off the header pipes that I wrapped 20" down, to under the foot pegs for that fix.
But the header heat was probably bearable as is, but better w/the wrap.

Last edited:
The regulator/rectifier with high beam on and off, and even better with some accessories on and off, at idle and higher rpms (>2,500-3,000).

You should see a warmer R/R when the power consumption is low, and colder when the consumption is higher.

Nice project!

Temp from one side to the other across the radiator.
Chain, tires, heated grips, trans parts.
Sounds cool, I look forward to the pictures.

I'd say inside the frunk, but I guess it would be easier and probably more accurate to just put a thermometer in there lol

The regulator/rectifier with high beam on and off, and even better with some accessories on and off, at idle and higher rpms (>2,500-3,000).

You should see a warmer R/R when the power consumption is low, and colder when the consumption is higher.

Nice project!

where are these items located? (R/R)

I'd say inside the frunk, but I guess it would be easier and probably more accurate to just put a thermometer in there lol

I had a thermometer in the compartment for a while, was at about 35°c (95°f) after a long drive, but sure would be interesting to see it it's all coming from the engine or possibly some other place :)

I had a thermometer in the compartment for a while, was at about 35°c (95°f) after a long drive, but sure would be interesting to see it it's all coming from the engine or possibly some other place :)

Excellent, thanks! :D As the bottom of the frunk is only a few inches away from the engine, and heat rises, I'm sure the heat source is strictly related to engine heat. On my F800ST, the exhaust pipe curved back along the right side of the engine, and in front of the rear tire, to exit into the muffler on the left side above the centre line of the wheel. This was a very noticeable source of scorching heat for me, with the pipe heating up my right inner thigh and the seat itself. The catalytic converter was located in the front of the muffler, so the back of my left leg always felt warm too.

The NCX having it's pipe under the engine, and a fairly straight shot, low slung exit to the muffler, thankfully produces zero discomfort as far as unwanted thermal units. ;)

Yea, F800ST!
I was a little too big for my 2010 and was like riding an R600. But it had the sweetest can sound and smooth shifting 6-speed.
Even w/risers and lowered pegs that angry Rotax always had me in a crotch rocket state of mind; not a good thing for me.

I'm thinking of installing sound deadening matting inside the frunk. I have some left over from an Insight job and bet it would
change the bike sound. I've not read any comments on this and may start a new thread.

H
I'm thinking of installing sound deadening matting inside the frunk. I have some left over from an Insight job and bet it would
change the bike sound. I've not read any comments on this and may start a new thread.

I am thinking it would not make much difference in the noise level to the rider. I also would not want to give up any interior space of the trunk the "insulation" would take.

In prior posting others have thought and mentioned road and front tire noise was coming up the steering head area and being funneled towards the rider. Other than comments and front tire changing nothing more was ever mentioned.

There is no substitute for .......GOOD.... ear plugs.

I am thinking it would not make much difference in the noise level to the rider. I also would not want to give up any interior space of the trunk the "insulation" would take.

Now THIS is a frunk.
The matting is .050" thick so does not hake up much space and I also removed the bottom storage cover and gained some space that way.
I've got a 15 light LED strip I'm also thinking of adding but the matting has lightened the frunk interior to the point I may hold off that install.

Attachments

• P4172550.jpg
    P4172550.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 517
  • P4172552.jpg
    P4172552.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 810
Wouldn't this all be much easier.to just get a cheap laser handheld temp gauge and just read the temps of the spots you guys are talking about? You can get cheap ones for 20$

Back