• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Interstates: NC compared to F650GS(Single)

Doc True

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Forgive me if this has been asked and answered before, but the search function did not seem to help.

I'm looking to replace a totaled DL1000 with something more sedate. Most of my riding is commuting, but I do quite a bit of long distance touring as well. I have done alot of interstate miles on a BMW F650GS (Single) in the past. This got me very used to low horsepower at high speeds and for the most part I was alright with it. While the Beemer was small, I easily went for multiple 500 mile/day rides on it and it took to 70-80mph travel very well.

-For those that have ridden both the single cylinder 650GS and the NC, how do you think the two compare?

-For those that haven't, how does the NC handle use like this?

Thank in advance,

John

Handles long trips and the interstate just fine. You may want to modify the seat, add highway pegs, bar risers, etc depending on your ergonomic preferences.

Gas mileage starts falling off over 70mph and head winds eat at the gas mileage. Should be smoother, less vibration, than the BMW. It will feel a whole lot lighter than the DL1000 and the NC is a lot of fun in the twisties. Hard to beat it for commuting. The gas mileage and frunk make it an ideal commuter.

I owned a F650GS just before to buy the NC...Honda all the way !
Honda is less expensive, use less gas, maintenance cost less
Honda is more comfortable on highway, more fuel efficient :), more reliable
Honda is Honda... go with Honda and you'll be a cool and happy guy!
honda_smile_110_2.jpg

I owned a F650GS just before to buy the NC...Honda all the way !
Honda is less expensive, use less gas, maintenance cost less
Honda is more comfortable on highway, more fuel efficient :), more reliable
Honda is Honda... go with Honda and you'll be a cool and happy guy!

^^^^What he said.

I owned a 2009 BMW G650GS. I had a terrible problem with the bike the first six months I owned it. If you stopped somewhere and turned the ignition off, you could never be 100% sure it would start again. It didn't happen all of the time but I did not trust the bike. The bike was in the shop for the entire month of August 2009 (absolutely gorgeous weather) while they tried to figure out what was wrong with it. BMW engineers in their wisdom saw fit to limit the ECU's memory of a fault to just the last time the bike was running. If the bike stalled and you got restarted you had to go directly to the dealer without turning the bike off because if you stopped and restarted the ECU would have no memory of the fault. The dealer eventually figured the ECU was bad and replaced it under warranty. After that episode the bike ran flawlessly for the remainder of the time I owned it. I averaged 60+ MPG. I sold it to a returning rider after 3 years and 12,000 miles. I sold the bike because of the high cost of dealer service and parts. The high costs I encountered with that bike completely soured me on ever owning a BMW again.

I now have a 2014 NC700XD with the dual clutch transmission that I love riding. I am never going back to a manual shift bike, I'm sticking with Honda. The 2014 model has a problem with the trip meters on the dash randomly resetting. Honda has stepped up to the plate and is replacing the dash unit on all of the affected bikes. Knowing this, I would buy another 2014 immediately if I had to to replace the bike I have now if something bad happened to it.

My CBR250R got ran over in the parking garage 2 1/2 years ago. With the insurance payout, I figure it was a good time to upgrade to a bigger bike. After doing a lot of homework, it came down to 2 bikes - a 2-year old (at that time) G650GS and a brand new NC700X. Both cost about $7000 OTD; both have similar upright ergo; similar engine performance; similar mileage. I could have easily gone with either one.

The tie-breaker came down to maintenance and cost of parts. I talked to the BMW dealer and asked about the cost of maintenance. I asked how much I should expect for a trip to the dealer for regular maintenance. I could not get a straight answer out of the guy. and then I browsed thru the catalog for parts and accessories...

Right there and then, I made up my mind to buy the NC700X and have never looked back.

P.S. I wish the NC700X was more like the 650GS Sertao. If a used Sertao was available at that time, I might have had a even tougher time deciding.

I appreciate everyone's reply. However, I'm curious about high speed road performance relative to a bike I'm familiar with. I'm not trying to decide between the two. It will be a very long time before I own another BMW.

I think the NC does well at speed. The engine, although new, has been well tested by many. I think a German team ran the engine at a pretty high RPM for 50,000 miles (correct me if I recall it incorrectly). They then took the engine apart and found very little engine wear. So the build quality and durability is there.

The engine hit peak torque early at 4,000. After that, there isn't much left until you run out of rev at 8,000. It is relatively torquy at low to mid rev. It kind of like a thumper or diesel. But it will be comfortable at 70-75. Just don't expect it to run away when you twist the throttle.

For long trips, you might want to look into a new seat. Wind protection might be a concern especially if you are on the taller side. There have been quite a bit of windscreen discussion on the forum. Do a quick search and you will find a lot of info.

My 2013 NC700X does just fine on the freeway. MPG does drop a lot at 80 MPH @ 5500RPM. It's a little shaky in Semi wind blast, but less than my Sabre 1100 that I rode before it. I had the Meltzer Z8 stock tires and I feel they squared faster due to hi speed freeway miles.

Around here, when the freeways aren't all clogged, you've often gotta do 85 just to keep up with traffic. Bike seems happy to do it all day. I still get at least 52mpg with cold air, CA gas, and boxy 33 liter sidecases. MPG as much as 70 on slower country rides, mid sixties on the freeway without the sidecases.

I have owned my NC for just around 2 weeks now. I just came off a Triumph Tiger 1050 and was concerned about the power deficit and now after two weeks, no concerns whatsoever. The NC is not a rocketship by any means but if ridden correctly, it is plenty quick and this little guy handles great. Honda did an excellent job with its handle prowess. Can't even explain it and I have ridden and owned more bikes then one should, but this thing is just a hoot to ride. Feels light, easy on gas, brakes are superb, did I mention it has a frunk! It has enough juice for highway use and as an urban warfare commuter it is a cut above most if you want comfort, storage and gas mileage. I put on a set of Givi's and a Seat Concepts seat and its fantastic. Good luck on your decision.... Ps....I have not ridden the 650 GS but he had a BMW 800s and it was a great bike as ell but this NC is just as good and better in. Lot of ways.

FWIW, most of my use of my NCX is commuting. I run around 40 miles each way, and nearly all of that is now on the freeway, running 70-75. Sometimes a little faster so I don't get run over where the posted limit is 75. The bike handles the speed with aplomb. I've had occasion to be on an even higher-limit stretch of road, and while it will do 90 without too much trouble, that's fast approaching its limit.

Ergos are personal, so sit the bike and choose for yourself. I have no qualms about the durability, reliability, or serviceability for this kind of work, after my ~25,000 miles on the bike.

P.S. I run Honda's (large!) top case and saddlebags on mine, though usually the saddlebags sit at home, unneeded.

I run my NC750X 2 up most of the time, rock steady at 85 to 90 on UK motorways, absolutely planted, tracks very well in the corners.

Can get a little unsteady in triple digits, bet in my opinion not what she was designed for.

The engine hit peak torque early at 4,000. After that, there isn't much left until you run out of rev at 8,000. It is relatively torquy at low to mid rev. It kind of like a thumper or diesel. But it will be comfortable at 70-75. Just don't expect it to run away when you twist the throttle.
The rev-limiter won't let you get to 8,000...

The NC is great on the highway ....according to ME! My NC will handle 70 with ease ... going past 75, I get a little engine vibration... then around 79-80- it smoothes up again. And I mean SMOOTH!

For me, I commute as well.
I ride almost everyday except when it rains.
I just don't like riding in the rain (thats a personal thing).
The NC700x is fine for my commute.
I have a top box and small side cases by givi.
Gas mileage is good, Keeps up with traffic and exceeds speed limits easily if you so desire.
Around town, no problem. The nimbleness is great. The weight is low so you can manuever around pretty good.
It does not feel heavy at all when riding or sitting on it.
It does not shake on the highway, it might vibrate a little (I mean very little), but remember its a twin cylinder.
So far the bike has been rock solid. Mine is a 2013 model, DCT in RED.

Back in 2012, I was considering a BMW F or G and also VSTROM and VERSYS.
Honda won out because:
1 - dct
2 - I fit the bike perfectly
3 - cost of ownership/relibility

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone that has replied. It has been a big help in deciding which bike to get. I sounds as if the NC will take care of all of my needs.

My previous 650cc range bike was a F650GS. There's no comparison down the highway. The NC is way smoother and cruises at 70 no problem. Headwinds do eat into the NC's gas mileage. The NC stock is way more comfortable to ride than my F650. The stretch to the bars was horrible on the BMW. Very uncomfortable with either the stock seat or the Corbin. I'm completely comfortable on with the NC in its stock form. I removed the pillion and replaced it with one of Dale's racks. My hands would cramp on the NC though until I bought some of those foam overgrips. I have had TKC 80s on both bikes. I give the F650 a slight edge offroad because of the 19 inch front tire and better suspension. For commuting there is no comparison either. The NC's frunk is awesome.

Back