• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is a NC700 for me?

Rocket Guy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. Newbie here. Have a heavy *** old HD 74. After a couple of knee ops I went the Adventure Bike route. Got a BMX RT1200. Loved it. Unfortunately I got taken out by an ahole pulling out of his driveway while talking on phone. Bike was destroyed. Since I was wearing some great gear, I only broke my right femur, hip and pelvis. Pretty much healed up now and want to ride again. My problem is that I have difficulty throwing my right leg over a bike. I noticed the seat height is fairly low on the NC compared to my BMW. Just wondering if the NC configuration would work for me.

I’ve got my insurance money to cover a new ’16 NC. So, if this works with the leg, how about the seat comfort? Not uncommon for me to ride 8-10 a day with an Airhawk.

Advice?

Hello Rocket Guy,

Sorry to hear of your mishap but glad you are healing up and ready to ride again.

The seat on the NC700X is almost universally disliked, at least on this forum, but I found it comfortable enough for the first 25,000 miles I owned my first NC. In that time I rode many all day rides including a Saddle Sore 1000 and a Saddle Sore 1500 mile ride. I eventually bought a Sargent seat and rode it a few thousand more miles before trading the bike. After a year of missing the NC I bought a 2015 NC700 DCT and immediately purchased a Sargent seat for it. For me the NC is a comfy all day machine. If you like sitting on an Airhawk I reckon the stock seat will do fine for you.

I bought the NC700X for my 5'7" daughter and then lowered it with Soupysperformance.com adjustable links. I have really been impressed by the bike. Fuel mileage is fantastic. 3.7 gallon tank sounds small until you realize that you make 70 mpg at 60. Out west at higher elevations she made high 70's and low 80's. One tank in COLORADO she made 87.7 mpg. The front trunk is really handy. I put a power outlet in it. Phone is in the frunk charging and she is getting GPS via a Sena unit. Suspension travel is fine for probably 97% of users. There is an aftermarket suspension kit if needed. Headlight is ok but we live in deer country so a pair of Denali lights went up front and that really lights it up. I got the 3" square lights. Rider position is very good and it feels like you are riding a 250 cc dirt bike as the center of gravity is low due to sitting on the gas tank and the engine is canted forward. They are really quiet so the PO took the stock can off and replaces it with a 2brothers slip on. Wow does that make the bike. Not loud but nice put put at idle then when she goes to pass and I am behind her I can tell she gets on it. Not obnoxious at all though. I plan on getting my next two kids an NC700X. She has the stock trunk on the back. Seat causes me to slide forward so the pants tighten up on your man parts. Some people have solved this by making a cheap bracket and placing the seat tongue on top of the bracket it usually is under. Good thread here on that. Otherwise aftermarket seats know about the problem and level you out.
Hope this helps. Brakes are not the best but they were trying to keep the price down but they are still good. Just won't be doing any stoppie's.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought my NC was comfortable, until I read on here about the sloped seat. From then on I started to notice that I had been sliding forward all along. So, I got a Seat Concepts replacement.

Then it felt awesome, until I read on here about the handlebar height. From then on I started to notice my shoulders/neck were sore after hours of riding. So, I got 2" Rox risers.

Then it was perfect, until I read on here about how narrow the pegs are. From then on I started to notice my feet were sore after standing on the pegs. So I got some wide offroad pegs.

Guess what I'm saying is comfort is a very subjective thing to measure. I'd probably have never noticed any discomfort if it hadn't been brought to my attention. So, test ride one and see what you think. [Edit to add:] ...and don't be as susceptible to suggestion as I am, LOL.

Last edited:
Hi Rocket Guy, glad you made it through all of that. Throwing a leg over may present an ongoing problem for you, especially if you add luggage. It's not overly tall, but it is a fairly tall bike. Once you're aboard, the leg extension is pretty good but as some have already noted, the stock seat is pretty dismal. There are some inexpensive mods you can make that are adequate and some great seat upgrades, but I think it's pretty safe to say you'll need to do something.

Having said that, it's a great bike. You'll just have to do some test rides as much as possible before you pull the trigger.

Now, don't flame me, but have you considered any of the touring scooters on the market? I've owned a couple over the years and they are not only extraordinarily easy to mount up but very comfortable for any type of riding you might do. I really enjoyed mine and figure I'll probably get back to one eventually. They have some solid inherent advantages to a traditional motorcycle configuration. If I had not been forced to downsize my "fleet" and make some hard choices, I'd still have one. Just a sincere suggestion not knowing what physical limitations you may have.

Best wishes! Great to hear you haven't given up riding!

Getting on any adventure bike is an adventure unto itself. There are a few different ways to mount the adventure motorcycle. Most of these mounting procedures I picked up watching other NC7 riders get on and off their NC7. I experimented with the different mounting procedures until I found a combination of a few different mounting procedures for diferenct circumstances worked best for me. It does take a little time, but it is doable.

Well, it is a great bike but in terms of ease of mounting it is average.

I put my left hand on the left bar and my right hand on my tank bag.

Many people find it best to bend the right knee as much as possible.

Getting off I just hold the bars.

Lowering the seat is not that hard.

Actually Harley's street 750 is really easy to lower.
A Honda rebel 500 or something similar might be easier.

Last edited:
I did a lot of research and went to a bike show and sat on a lot of bikes before I bought mine. I'm 6 feet tall with a 32 inseam. Most bikes feel like they were made for shorter people. The only three bikes I ever sat on and felt totally comfortable were the Ducauti Multistrad, BMW GS1200R and the NC700X. If mounting a bike is a problem, I wouldn't recommend any of those.

I would suggest the CBR650F, its similar in a lot of ways but not as tall as the NC. I had a friend of mine wants a bike like mine but she couldn't get on it. She started looking at the CBR and she was able to mount it easily. No frunk but just as much fun.

Last edited:
I am 5'9" with a 30-31"(somewhere in there) inseam. If I were being honest, I'd tell you that I hit my right foot on the rear seat often when swinging it over the bike. Granted, my bike is never without the panneirs and topbox so that does make a difference. I actually don't have a rear seat as it has been replaced by Hondabikepros (member here) adventure rack. That basically means I have a wee bit more clearance and still hit the rack occasionally. Also, to be completely transparent, I had only ridden sport bikes prior to this bike and they are much easier to mount. I had to teach myself a revised method of mounting and dismounting when I bought the NC.

If you are a bit taller then as OCR said there are different ways. You could always put the center stand down. Step up on a foot peg then easily swing a leg over. Then put both feet down and rock it off the stand.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Appreciate the feedback. A co-worker has a large type Vespa. Says this is what I need. Have to admit that this thing is fast with an unforgettable classic look. But, for me, I would probably be embarrassed to be seen on it. Too many Chinese DUI 50's running around here. Plus, that 7K price tag for a scooter is? Should give it a test ride though.

There are other scoots as well - Honda Forza 300, Honda PCX150, Honda Silverwing 650 and the Suzuki Burgman 650, Yamaha T-Max.

Think a maxie scooter is your best bet and the hell with what others say ,you,ll be riding in comfort. A friend rode his Burgman 650 from SC to Alaska and bck.?no problem!

One can always figure out a way of getting on and off a bike, but knee jobs can cause a reduction in bend. I have had a knee replacement (like OCR) but much to my surprise, initially the reduction in bend affected me most on my NC. The seating position did put pressure on my knee on the NC, and I was fortunate enough to be able to use another bike for a while, albeit a much heavier one but with a less severe bend when seated.

You will have to try out bigger bikes to find the most relaxed position. Big traillies excel in this regard, but as suggested if your terrain will be smooth roads, then maxi scoots are superb. I commuted on an FJS600 for years and loved it. Super cushy saddle and room to stretch out my legs. 90mph cruising ability and also the ability to tour the world on decent roads if desired. There is something out there for You on two wheels. Just chose carefully and You will find it.

The NC700X is a great bike, but it doesn't have all that low of a seat height (32.7") if that's a major issue for you. The CTX700 cruisers have a seat height (28.3") that's 4.4" lower. The batmobile-styled NM4 takes the seat height down even more to just 25.6" – more than 7" shorter than the NC700X. All these bikes have basically the same engine and electronics.

There is no shame in riding a scooter and if you ride ATGATT or anything close to it you already don't mind how you look on a bike. I owned a Honda Silver Wing for two years because of a left ankle injury, I still miss that bike. I had the bike from December 2006 through May 2009. The first year I had it I rode it to almost every BMW Yankee Beemer Rally that was available in 2007 and did the Minute Man 1000 in June of 2008. I traded it in for a BMW G650GS in 2009. In 2013 while I was still torturing myself trying to make the PC800 I had owned for two years work for me, I started thinking of going back to a scooter. I wanted to go back to something like the Silver Wing and spent a great deal of time researching large scooters. My decision making process narrowed my choices down to the Suzuki Burgman 650 and the DCT NC700X. I went with the NC solely for the larger wheels and more compliant suspension for the dirt roads here in VT. Good luck in your search.

Ditto on the scooter. Granted that it would be a big departure from what you may be used too,but it would suit your needs. Before I bought the DCT, I owned a Suzuki Burgman 650. I have a surgically fused left ( and now right! ) foot and shifting posed problems for me. The Suzuki was more than capable of highway speeds and offered a ton of storage, along with other features. The only objection I had was its smaller wheels and short suspension throw.

Thanks guys. I've got an appointment to test ride the ctx700 this week. Will post back my impression of the bike. Still trying to avoid the scooter route. Those tiny wheels at freeway speeds seem a little scary, plus those unexpected potholes.

Still trying to avoid the scooter route. Those tiny wheels at freeway speeds seem a little scary
You <really> need to do a bit more research on scooters....Some have wheels within an inch or two of what you find on a "real" motorcycle ;-)

There are lots of reasons one might not consider a scooter but if wheel size is a factor just get a scooter with larger wheels!

Honda 300 mentioned earlier has a 14 inch front wheel. One inch smaller than the front wheel that was on my Goldwing.

BMW scooters have 15" front and rear wheels.

Lots of options out there...do your research and decide what works for you. I will tell you that since I have an aux fuel tank mounted where the passenger seat would normally be there is <no way> I can swing a leg over my bike (32" inseam). I'm a lightweight so all I do is stand on the peg when mounting..had to do the same with the Goldwing which seemed to sit about 4 inches lower!

EDIT: Met a guy at Max BMW that was on a Suzuki 400cc scooter and was looking at the new BMW 650GT scooter. He rides from New Hampshire to Florida every year...on the Suzuki !

Last edited:
Back