• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Issues with TechSpec Tank Grips

GunNut37086

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only good thing about parking my new NC700x that first day was shopping for stuff to go with it on the internet. Sliding forward in the seat made me realize that one of the very first things I wanted was a set of tank grips. I put it off until now, because the ones I wanted were ridiculously expensive and I needed other things first. Well, my TechSpec SnakeSkin tank grips arrived today and I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or not.

The first problem occurred on the last piece I installed (knee pad on left side). As I rolled back the front edge of the paper backing it separated from the rubber and took the glue with it. The paper backer was discolored, like maybe something got spilled on it in the warehouse and ruined that corner. I got it to hold the glue backer to the rubber with some super glue and it feels like it made a good bond, but I'm not sure it'll hold permanently.

The second problem is that the pads are so thick that the frunk won't open all the way. The small part between the bottom of the frunk lid and the front of the seat had to be trimmed to 1/2 it's height to allow the frunk lid to open. The pads are 1/8" thick each, so the added 1/4" of the pads just wouldn't leave enough clearance. I'm not pleased with how that really thin strip looks now and wish I'd just removed it and put it away instead of cutting it. Oh well, spilled milk at this point.

20160604_200911_1.jpg

See how thin that bottom strip is now? I may as well remove it for all the good it does. I don't recall anyone else mentioning this when I read the threads here about TechSpec grips. Couldn't be just me, could it?

20160604_200947_1.jpg

This is the side where the glue came off the back of the rubber. It's the leading corner, so it'll get the most wind. One of the stickers on my helmet started peeling back on the leading edge, hope that doesn't happen here.

20160604_200924_1.jpg

Anyway, wondering what y'all thought. Thanks for looking.

Unless you have very muscular genitalia I don't see the point of the tank-grip material on the back of the tank.
Mike

Unless you have very muscular genitalia I don't see the point of the tank-grip material on the back of the tank.
Mike
Fair point, I assumed the side panels are actually for grip and the tank pad is for protection against scratches. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

TWSS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Fair point, I assumed the side panels are actually for grip and the tank pad is for protection against scratches. Maybe I'm doing it wrong...

TWSS
My point was though - that I have had 3 NC's and haven't noticed any damage occurring in the rear not-tank area. If you really think you need scratch protection there, a bit of clear film or some of the gel dots would do perhaps?
Mike

My point was though - that I have had 3 NC's and haven't noticed any damage occurring in the rear not-tank area. If you really think you need scratch protection there, a bit of clear film or some of the gel dots would do perhaps?
Mike

Oh, I see what you mean now...my bad. I pulled that little piece off when I got home. Like you said, nothing is going to scratch up that area. Also, it's peeling off on one side anyway.

I bought the tech spec grips and didn't have this issue. I would think techspec would offer some customer service if you had issues with their product. Those gips weren't cheap. I like how I have the protection on the trunk and sides. imho

Back