• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Jacking up a NC.

+1 on the center stand.

3 1/2 years into ownership I finally got one. The paddock stands worked fine, but it makes it so much easier just to clean and lube the chain without having to dig out the paddock stand from the storage shed.

Might be tempted to clean and lubricate the rear swingarm in the near future using the center stand.

And yes, back in the day bikes were often balanced so that the rear wheel would touch the ground if the front wheel was removed.
I wonder what the point of that balancing act was....It make zero sense. I admit it would be fun to watch someone try to put the wheel back on while the bike is balanced ;-)

In order to unload the suspension and get the front wheel off, you still had to either A: jack up the bike or B: put weight on the rear while on the center stand anyway!

Why not just design the bike with the center stand in a position that makes lifting the bike easier, since in either case (rear tire touching or not with front wheel off) you STILL have to add weight or jack the bike to get said wheel off?

<shrugs>

I'm pretty sure that on any motorcycle the front wheel can be removed for shipping...No need to have it balanced on the rear tire while in a shipping crate. Again, makes zero sense.

Leave it to Yamaha to solve a problem that doesn't exist ;-)

Last edited:
Aside from being the Yamaha mechanic, I also got to put most of them together out of the crate. Most of the bikes (650 and smaller) I could get out of the crate and put together myself, and I'm not a big guy. Get the rear wheel out, rock the bike up on the center stand, the front would stay up on it's own, put the front wheel on and finish the rest of the set up. Particularly handy when the crated bikes were in a warehouse at a different site.

And no, the bikes weren't balanced on their rear wheel in the shipping crate.

Ive changed rear tyre chain and sprockets just by pulling the bike over on its side stand and tying it to a fence post . For front wheel work I've found pushing a long bolt or bar through where the centre stand bolts would go..this gives a nice surface for the groove of the borrowed car jack to sit on ..a rock in my rear carrier keeps the front up . Its the price and weight of a center stand puts me off that route.

Back