• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Jerky Throttle

A snatchy throttle may not have anything to do with {snip}

What I was saying is that the G2 product has nothing to do with anything but mechanical change in the rate the throttle cables get pulled/pushed.

No problem. Just saw a lot of confusion about it on a couple other forums.

A snatchy throttle may not have anything to do with air/fuel ratio but it has everything to do with how the fueling is right off the bottom, right off idle. I've had early or first gen fuel injected bikes that had very digital responses as the injectors go from wet to dry and vice versa or they surged at low rpms when the FI was going from closed loop to open loop. Compared to these behaviors the NC is very smooth despite being fueled as lean as possible.
Yeah, I'm not seeing the transitions on a stock mapping as a problem on the NC (in my area). It doesn't seem to stumble or surge. I should google for the mix ratios, but as you say, that's only part of the story, especially down low.

To the OP I suggest saddle time and a loose hand and wrist will do wonders as right wrist to brain software is finessed and optimized.
Yep. Getting the feel for letting off just requires a bit of finesse, that also interacts with engine braking. Smooth non-abrupt changes establish a flow...

A G2 can shorten that time.
Too bad stock tubes have cable channels that are concentric and linear.

I never had this issue with my NC, but on my Africa twin, I did develop a throttle problem exactly as you described. It turned out to be the throttle slack had loosened up. I tightened it and operation went back to normal. 30 second fix. You probably already checked this, though.

Well I didn't check it so much as notice, after purchasing the bike and getting it home, that all the hardware at the bars (adjusters and jam nuts and such) were loose and rattling around .

I tightened everything up at the bars but did not check the adjustments at the throttle body.
I will take a look.

The throttle feels pretty tight but I guess there could be something loose somewhere.

There's nothing to adjust at the throttle body.

Precise throttle control minimal slop in the throttle cable. The way I do this is to turn the handle bars all the way to the left. This puts a tighter bend in the throttle cables, which can take out some of the slop. I then adjust the throttle cable so there is very little free play, but I can hear the screw on the throttle body hitting the stop when the throttle is released.

There's nothing to adjust at the throttle body.

d.

The throttle cables have adjustments points at the throttle body ( see photo above in post #26 ) and at the handlebar. The adjustment points do basicly the same thing ( setting the free play in the cables).

Last edited:
In theory, if one wanted to kill a day removing and replacing plastic panels, that would be a way to adjust the free play in the throttle. It's like doing brain surgery by going up through the rectum. Aside from being way more trouble than it's worth, those are coarse threads and don't lend themselves to precise adjustment. Just want to make sure the lower nuts (that can be reached without any disassembly) are tight.

Well for the guys that thinking of installing the throttle tamer are going to have to deal with these adjusters on the throttle body. They can be adjusted without removing the body work with little fiddling.

^^^

f6foyv.jpg

Well I have not actually installed the throttle tamer but I did install a new chain and sprockets and some new tires along with a suspension upgrade.
One or some combination of those parts solved my jerky throttle for the most part.
I have ridden it 4 or 5 time on the same route in town that I noticed the jerk and have not really noticed it anymore after the new parts.
Who knows what it was.

Back