• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Looking for a good gps with a specific function in mind

To much of a distration.
Google the directions, and if you get lost, pull over and look at the map.

If you are going to depend on a gps to give directions. Be prepared to spend some money and get one with speaker, earphones, or at least has a large screen.

Art

Ok, the biggest question I have is, the buttons vs touch screen. On the Nuvi do you have to take your gloves off to use it?

I use my smartphone right now, and I have a Tom Tom, but I can't use it's touch screen unless I take my gloves off. The zumo I think uses buttons for gloved use.

Is the Nuvi the same way as far as it's touch screen requiring no gloves?

confused.jpg

I can us my Nuvi550 with gloves on. It is touch screen. Only button is on / off.

Do you wear leather gloves, or textile? Just wondering if textile goves would work on the Nuvi.

I know some touch screens are more pressure sensitive than physical touch sensitive. But Leather works on allot of touch screens when textile will not.

smileythoughtful.jpg

Last edited:
Unless they've made a very recent change to the screens, the Garmin GPS units will work with any gloves. They don't use a capacitive touch screen like smart phones and tablets. The Garmin screens just sense the pressure of the finger or glove pushing on their surface. No bare finger or capacitive stylus is required.

Bob

You can sew some metal string into the end of any glove and they work on capacitive touch screens. However, a whole lot easier just to talk to Siri. That gal, Siri, can almost do every thing on a motorcycle when you talk to her though your headset.

Not in color, no voice for turn by turns. Great for hiking, or plugged into the usb port of a laptop while driving to give you an enormous color guide should you have the compatible software installed. The software also puts tracks on the map of where you've been. A great little device, but no color and no voice.

Edit: Just saw it IS in color. The one I own is monochromatic.

Thanks for the info. It does not sound like what I am looking for.

FloridaBoy
I have the Nuvi 550 and it's probably the best waterproof Garmin for motorcyclist. Mine has older maps but still gets me anywhere I want to go from a lost state. Here are some things about the Nuvi 550
1. The battery last for like 6 hours. You can buy a second or third battery without ever plugging it in.
2. If you want to plug it in you can do that also.
3. Touch screen works no matter what gloves you have
4. It has different modes like motorcycle, car, walking, or bicycling so when I'm riding my NC I put in on motorcycle(shows a scooter) and it will never put me on the interstate, only back roads. That's because the avoidances are saved with each mode. So load the mode and your settings are already there.
5. All Garmins display your speed but mine DOESN'T display the posted speed sign like my new Garmin for my car. But I haven't updated my 550 in some time. Maybe it does now.
6. The 550 doesn't have a headphone jack but has a speaker on the rear of you unit.
7. It has the ability to make custom routes and also to load routes onto the device. For me, this is a must have.
8. The 550 has the ability to save a custom route after you have finished your ride. It's called tracback. It knows where you went and can save that route. This is really handy sometimes when you've gone somewhere and didn't have a clue how you ended up getting there. And of course want to go back another day.
I've tried to use several cell phones (smart phones), other Garmin gps's that aren't made to be waterproof and don't have custom route availability, and they just aren't good for me. They almost always take me off the curvy roads and put me on the shortest route or the route that just goes straight and gets me there fast. That's not what I bought my motorcycle for. Everyone will have an opinion on this and this is just mine. Hope this helps you find the right GPS for you.

Back