• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Lowering 700s

xamrax

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, this is, my first post so please be gentle :)
Most of the lowering topics are on 700x, so I wanted to open a thread for 700s.
I want to lower the 700s, and found a susp. link supplier from uk on ebay. Laser cut stainless ones which lower the rear by 2 and 4 cm. I want to go with the 4cm one so that I can flatfoot then move the front forks up by 2cm. Any problems that you may think of? Bottoming the rear etc. I am only 62kg and I ride alone...
Thanks for your feedback.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

The only real problem is that you may have to shorten the sidestand as the bike may be too upright with the 4cm lowering links. Do not move the forks up too far as you may have problems when the suspension is compressed when braking.

Lowering the rear 4cm and the front only 2 will change the way the bike handles and the way the suspension operates, generally in a negative way. The fork will be more raked out, and it won't be as eager to turn as it presently is. If and when you lower it you'll want to make sure the stance of the bike stays the same, and that the fork angle doesn't change.

I don't know what the roads are like in Istanbul, but chances are at some point you will run into bottoming issues. I wouldn't worry too much about the rear bottoming, if the back tire locks up for a second no big deal. It's the front I'd be more concerned about.

The only real problem is that you may have to shorten the sidestand as the bike may be too upright with the 4cm lowering links. Do not move the forks up too far as you may have problems when the suspension is compressed when braking.

at 4cm imo the bike will be standing straight on OEM side stand. i've made my own links and lower 700x first at 1.5cm-no problem with angle of the bike at parking and side stand at all. didn't notice any changes in handling.then made another pair and dropped by 2+cm(w\o lowering front). i'm still using OEM stand,but i have to be really careful,when choosing place to park. handling feels same to me(again-without lowering front).

The short kickstand available for X models is in fact the stand off the S model which is shorter.

Not unless Kijima is an OEM supplier, which I rather doubt. Or were you referring to some other stand than the one I linked?

Several have bought S model stands for lowered X models. So apparently there are at least two options for shorter stands.

Options are always good. Except for that whole Sophie's Choice kind of thing, of course.

Thank you all, these helped a lot really.
I just bought a second hand 2012 nc700s today and ordered these links from UK.
Honda NC700 s x 40mm lowering Suspension Links Kit 700 New | eBay
Should I ever have a handling issue with the 4cm links, I will change them with 2cm's in order not to change the stance as suggested. The side stand will definitely be a problem, bike is standing nearly upright with the stock stand, so I should find a solution asap. Thinking of cutting it down until a permanent solution.

Just checked the new 750S this weekend, but I was intimidated with the weight and was nearly sure that I would drop it :(
So I went for a 2nd hand cheap rear-ender crashed one, but properly fixed in Honda official dealer with stock forks, fender and and a headlight group. Just 7.000km on the counter. Had it checked by paid diagnostic service at the dealer, it did not have any problems at all. Anyway, I guess I do not have to worry about dropping it since someone has already done that for me :)

Please keep-em coming for a shorter side stand.
thanx

Thank you all, these helped a lot really.
Just bought a 2nd hand 700s 2 days ago. I am surprised how easy it handles, how fun to drive and how... heavy it is for a guy like me :)
So I definitely will lower it. Actually ordered one of the linkage kits from the bay.
And I will also add a bar raiser to take the bar up and back by about 3cm.
But still with all these I will take your advices about not changing the bike's stance.
Thank you all again...

I just thought lowering both rear and front by 2cm would keep the ratio same. Isn't this the best we can do while lowering? or is there another calc to be done and an uneven level to keep to have the same ratio?
Or I got the question wrong?

If the 2cm is measured perpendicular to the ground at the front and back of the bike, then yes, all the geometry should remain the same. If you just mark off 2cm on the top of the forks and lower to that mark they you will be off, since the forks are on an angle. Basically choose a point to measure from on both the front and back off the bike in its stock configuration, and get a base measurement. Then install your link of choice on the rear suspension. Set the bike up again and re-measure the rear to see where it sits, and adjust the front accordingly so that the difference between your front measurements matches the difference between your rear measurements.

i've lowered my NC by 1.7cm and later made another set that lowers in by 2+cm. never lowered front. i see no point of doing it for such small drop. i see no changes in handling or whatever,when only rear is lowered. bike's geometry
-that'ssounds fancy,but in reality-image a fat 200 lb chick on your rear seat. that was it, your bike's rear will drop even more than with those lowering links. are you going to adjust your front suspension every time you got a fat check on the back? :)
it might make sense to lower front for those,who dropped rear by 2" or even 4" ive heard,but 2 cm? common..;)

like OCR said-ride,just ride!

It may sound fancy, but it's still fact. Guy wanted opinions and info on lowering his bike, so I provided some. I know plenty of people who've dropped the rear end of their dirt bikes without doing anything to the front, and the bikes never handled quite right after.

What I got from all the posts on lowering is that when you lower the back more than front turning will be difficult, and if you do the contrary turning will be easy/quicker.

I had a set of "bar backs" installed yesterday, now the handlebar is up by 3cm and back (towards me) by 2cm. Much more comfy since I am a tiny guy, but now the bike turns much quicker so I need to be fine with the control input I give until I get used to it. I was not expecting this.
But... I realized that I've ordered the wrong link from the bay :( I ordered the 4cm lowering one. And I only have 1 inch to go on the front = 2.5cm
Difference will be 1.5cm (front will be higher), this will negatively inflict turning as per what I read and now hope that will be compensated by the "bar back" quickening effect I mentioned above. If not I will order the correct one for another 50 bucks.

Had it done today, now I have an S with a seat height at about 760mm :)
We had to cut the sidestand, It got dissappeared under the peg, hard to find it while parking :-S Now I got this to solve.
And the engine seems very close to the ground. I fear it may hit somewhere.
Could any skipplate for an X fit S? (maybe I should ask this in another thread)

Just rode 20miles after the changes. Handling: Harder to turn at high speed. But turns much easier than before at low speed (or is this due to the increase in self confidence? :)

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Back