• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad windshield broke bike's mounting bar

bumblepee

Reaction score
Visit site
I have used a nice Madstad windshield for many months. Noticed a wiggle first on one side and gradually more. I thought the screws inside came loose and opened the panels to tighten them. Guess what, the whole attachment points of the front bar with the windshield frame is breaking apart and coming unwelded. It is not at the Madstad mounting points, it's a Honda crap quality thing. Looks like the forces on the windshield are too strong.

Video here.

Has anybody seen something like this?

Anyone knows if this is fixable with some welding?

Last edited:
Yes, I think we have seen this, but only on ‘21+ models. I’m looking for a prior thread describing a similar situation. Will post if/when I find It.

I found a thread about a cracked windshield or cowl stay on a ‘21 NC750X. The crack is on the Honda part, not the aftermarket. https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/flaw.22949/

Looks as if owners of ‘21+ model NCX should beware, particularly if aftermarket screen is installed.

I believe a competent welder could tack weld or braze the stay back together. That’s what I would try. The Honda part was never expected to sustain the forces imposed by the larger aftermarket windshield. I think sending the video to Madstad would serve a better purpose than blaming Honda quality IMO. Maybe Madstad could redesign the brackets.

I believe a competent welder could tack weld or braze the stay back together. That’s what I would try. The Honda part was never expected to sustain the forces imposed by the larger aftermarket windshield. I think sending the video to Madstad would serve a better purpose than blaming Honda quality IMO. Maybe Madstad could redesign the brackets.
I don’t disagree, and your recommendation to have it welded is good. But I have to wonder what Madstad could do about it, except discontinue their windscreen offering for ‘21+ NCs due to risk of Honda component failure.

While Honda can’t rightfully be blamed, it seems unusual for them. I have always had the opinion that Honda historically overbuilt their frames, exhaust systems, engines, etc, even often accepting a weight penalty to do so.

I don’t disagree, and your recommendation to have it welded is good. But I have to wonder what Madstad could do about it, except discontinue their windscreen offering for ‘21+ NCs due to risk of Honda component failure.

While Honda can’t rightfully be blamed, it seems unusual for them. I have always had the opinion that Honda historically overbuilt their frames, exhaust systems, engines, etc, even often accepting a weight penalty to do so.
In the past I’ve found Mark and Blair @Madstad very interested in rider feedback. In today’s litigious society no windshield manufacturer would want a product flying off into a rider’s face. Not having a 2021 I don’t know how the load on the bracing stay could be reduced or spread to another strong point.

Thank you all for the help, tremendous support in this forum.

@670cc , thanks for finding the other thread, I tried before posting but did not find anything.

@dduelin Honda should not thin up the tubes for their stock windshield. Honestly that is a decorative piece they put, it does not hold any wind, so people will seek better solution. Even so, that metal piece is so thin and the welding so bad that even the stock windshield may pop if you bump on it by mistake).

I sent the video to Madstad the same night I posted here, so they know.

Anyway...

Does anyone know (or can point me) how to remove the dashboard and expose that subframe. I am looking at this but it's not as easy as a video:

Many thanks again for you help.

The Service Manual would show it in detail. Maybe someone can scan the pages for you if buying one is out of the question. They do come in handy.

Reactions: MZ5
Thank you dduelin. It was actually very easy to remove, only two plastic pieces and four screws in total. Unplugged the dashboard and all is done. Just need to bring to welder now. I am thinking to put some reinforcements to make sure it will withstand the stronger forces of the Madstad. I haven't checked your link above yet, sorry.

Last edited:
Does anyone what material is the NC frame made with? Steel, aluminum, etc? Any suggestion for a metal plate material to add some reinforcements in the front crawl (yea, we found the official name now)?

Does anyone what material is the NC frame made with? Steel, aluminum, etc? Any suggestion for a metal plate material to add some reinforcements in the front crawl (yea, we found the official name now)?
The frame is made of steel. The stay that cracked on your bike is also made of steel.

Back