• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Madstad Windshield

Same here. Barkbuster Storms, 22" Madstad Adventure screen and 2" Rox risers. No clearance issues with the screen set to 55 degrees. However, I had to tilt the handlebars back a little to get this clearance.

MadStad ....

The quick 10-second adjustment is what makes the MadStad system work (and make it worth the cost) ...

DSCF7295-C.jpg

Count me in on the Madstad club. The Roboknob system and the extra under-deflectors finally sold me. I'll be shelving my homemade shield at least until Spring. Should be here by the weekend. I'm excited!

Hi guys, just installed the madstad today on my non dct nc7x. My gawd the difference was huge! Was coming from a puig tall shield. Im 175cm tall and have a 30" inseam. I'm running the madstad at the lowest point and it makes me wonder if I should have got the 18" shield instead. Pretty shocked at how high the screen is mounted but it really works wonders throwing air over the helmet.

Just thought I share a image with comparison to the puig.

ad39d568baa5acad3ef88e475ad06e8d.jpg

32a05fa9573902fcd8049c1f46c5b43e.jpg

I mounted my Madstad screen about 4 cm lower than Madstad does by getting an undrilled screen and drilling the mount holes myself. Maybe their "stock" mount position is best for the airflow, but I thought it seemed too high. For you, I'd guess you can drill four more holes and move the screen down, or you can trim the top of the screen. I also think Madstad would work with you and swap the screen out for what best suits you, but in your case shipping costs could be an issue.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your screen. As for "non DCT nc7x", maybe we should invent the term SCT as opposed to DCT when referring to the two transmission types. :)

Last edited:
I mounted my Madstad screen about 4 cm lower than Madstad does by getting an undrilled screen and drilling the mount holes myself. Maybe their "stock" mount position is best for the airflow, but I thought it seemed too high. For you, I'd guess you can drill four more holes and move the screen down, or you can trim the top of the screen. I also think Madstad would work with you and swap the screen out for what best suits you, but in your case shipping costs could be an issue.

Anyway, I'm glad you like your screen. As for "non DCT nc7x", maybe we should invent the term SCT as opposed to DCT when referring to the two transmission types. :)
Same here - I was pretty confident that the airflow was going WAY over the top of my helmet in the stock position, so I drilled new holes to drop mine 2" (maybe a little less). It works just the same as far as airflow over the top, with the added benefit of more wind protection from the bottom side. I also think it looks better too.

Hey 670cc, yea shipping would be an issue for me. I paid almost $50usd to ship it to my place using usps. Just imagine if I were to ship it back and fro! It's gonna cost so much more. So for now, I'm still in the "learning curve" of getting used to the screen. So far so good. I've tried going up to about 140km/h with very good results. No buffeting on my helmet, minimal or I would call it, low wind noise.

@normsthename, the puig was giving me very bad blast on my helmet and also wind noise. I will also have neck pains after long rides. Really bad IMHO. Altho the puig looks similar in height, when mounted, the madstad is really much taller and wider! If you are looking to change get the puig, look into the madstad. I personally feel that it's the best upgrade for my sct nc7x so far!

BTW, here's another picture of the "flaps" they work really well blocking out wind to the torso/chest area, but I will probably take them off on my daily rides, they should come in handy on longer rides.

3feec0b8fde88bfd5e846fb955d78217.jpg

The way I adjust all the Madstad Windshield system(I have had 12 bikes that have had the Madstad shield on them) for windshield height.

I start off by putting shield in the lowest setting, and angle at 55degree of angle, and at least 1.0" to 1.5" gap between the shield and alum. mount plate, so i can get plenty of air under the shield, getting more Fast air under the shield, pushes the air going over the top of the shield Up higher, then i ride, try increasing the gap under the shield first to smooth air out.

Then Ride, while riding put one hand up at your helmet then feel for the wind blast where does it hit you?

If it hits you low on the helmet, eye level, or forehead, try and raise it some till most of the blast is off of your helmet and the wind noise, both have smoothed out.

Once at this point then fine tune.

Main adjustment is to get the main blast to go slightly above your helmet to eliminate most if not all buffeting, and to get ride of Most of the turbulent wind Noise.

If you are at this point, I usually take a silver sharpie, and mark the Robo bracket, that way you can come back to that adjustment very quickly.

My second adjustment is a Higher setting for rainny days, when i am caught out in a the rain, for max protection, and again i mark that too, for quick adjustment.

You could make a third adjustment, for more of a summer, sportier ride where shield is as low as possible and at a angle, and gap spacing that is most comfortable. As there are times I like the sportier feeling of the naked bike.

wow great info! i'll give a few more rides and "mark" out the positions with a little bit of trial and error.

The way I adjust all the Madstad Windshield system(I have had 12 bikes that have had the Madstad shield on them) for windshield height.

I start off by putting shield in the lowest setting, and angle at 55degree of angle, and at least 1.0" to 1.5" gap between the shield and alum. mount plate, so i can get plenty of air under the shield, getting more Fast air under the shield, pushes the air going over the top of the shield Up higher, then i ride, try increasing the gap under the shield first to smooth air out.

Then Ride, while riding put one hand up at your helmet then feel for the wind blast where does it hit you?

If it hits you low on the helmet, eye level, or forehead, try and raise it some till most of the blast is off of your helmet and the wind noise, both have smoothed out.

Once at this point then fine tune.

Main adjustment is to get the main blast to go slightly above your helmet to eliminate most if not all buffeting, and to get ride of Most of the turbulent wind Noise.

If you are at this point, I usually take a silver sharpie, and mark the Robo bracket, that way you can come back to that adjustment very quickly.

My second adjustment is a Higher setting for rainny days, when i am caught out in a the rain, for max protection, and again i mark that too, for quick adjustment.

You could make a third adjustment, for more of a summer, sportier ride where shield is as low as possible and at a angle, and gap spacing that is most comfortable. As there are times I like the sportier feeling of the naked bike.

Hey 670cc, yea shipping would be an issue for me. I paid almost $50usd to ship it to my place using usps. Just imagine if I were to ship it back and fro! It's gonna cost so much more. So for now, I'm still in the "learning curve" of getting used to the screen. So far so good. I've tried going up to about 140km/h with very good results. No buffeting on my helmet, minimal or I would call it, low wind noise.

@normsthename, the puig was giving me very bad blast on my helmet and also wind noise. I will also have neck pains after long rides. Really bad IMHO. Altho the puig looks similar in height, when mounted, the madstad is really much taller and wider! If you are looking to change get the puig, look into the madstad. I personally feel that it's the best upgrade for my sct nc7x so far!

BTW, here's another picture of the "flaps" they work really well blocking out wind to the torso/chest area, but I will probably take them off on my daily rides, they should come in handy on longer rides.

3feec0b8fde88bfd5e846fb955d78217.jpg

I very seriously considered the Madstad but decided it would not accomplish what I wanted. I have been experimenting with an old used and abused windshield a friend gave me and I had fiddled with it for some time, drilling holes to reduce the vacuum and resultant turbulence behind the screen (this actually worked), making some brackets to better support it without flexing, and finally adding an extension to the top. For me personally, this is now the perfect size and shap. I can ride at 85mph with my visor open without turbulence and no need for earplugs any more. I actually look thru the top extension but it is perfectly clear and virtually invisible, as shown in the last pic. I taped the edges of one pic just so they would show up.

Attachments

• taped.jpg
    taped.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 646
  • clear.jpg
    clear.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 524
here's another picture of the "flaps" they work really well blocking out wind to the torso/chest area

I finally installed my wings/flaps today and have to agree. It reduced a lot of helmet noise by sharply reducing the air blowing up my chest into the bottom of the helmet. I expect this will really help when it gets cold. (We're still waiting for cold in south Texas.)

The only significant wind remaining is on my shoulders, and that's not a big problem. It's pretty smooth airflow.

Finally read through this thread. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm not terribly comfortable on my 80 mile round trip commute with the stock shield. I'm 5'10 with 33" inseam and I'm wondering if I could get away with the 18" over the 20". I just think the smaller would look better.

Finally read through this thread. I haven't pulled the trigger yet but I'm not terribly comfortable on my 80 mile round trip commute with the stock shield. I'm 5'10 with 33" inseam and I'm wondering if I could get away with the 18" over the 20". I just think the smaller would look better.

I would think yes, you could get by with the 18" screen, but call Madstat and ask them, they will tell you how to measure based on your height.

If you go with an 18", over the mount adjustment range you'll probably have your choice of wind on your helmet or wind on your chest, but you'll never have still air on both.

Last edited:

I think your best bet is to talk to Madstad directly. You've got a shorter to medium torso (long legs), so the 18" might work out well for you. You might want a taller shield with a higher mount hole (lowers the shield) to give you a greater range of positions.

Back