• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MAX your NC700 MPG's

Jarvis

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been getting around 66 to 70 mpg
I have seen upwards of 80 being posted.....would like to see/read advice as to how to improve/max the NC's...MPG's....

I think what you are seeing is British gallons not us gallons. I rode today and got 61.1 us mpg. That was 2-up and with some pretty decent head wind. Anything over 60 mpg and I'm happy. My last bike would only get 45 if you kept your hand out of it

I have been getting around 66 to 70 mpg
I have seen upwards of 80 being posted.....would like to see/read advice as to how to improve/max the NC's...MPG's....

I get 78 MPG average (US gallons).

High RPM, high speed, and big throttle openings lowers your fuel economy. Minimizing these three factors improves your mileage. Factors you can't control are headwinds, stop and go traffic, etc. Beyond that it's all what gears you chose and how much you twist your wrist.

At some point it will cut into your fun factor, depending on what you expect out of your ride.

Greg

Looking at Fuelly.com, the vast majority of people have been getting between 60-70mpg. I think you can extend that if you play around with the gearing (sprockets). I did that with my CBR250R. Going up 1 tooth in my front sprocket netted me 6% improvement on my MPG.

I get 78 MPG average (US gallons).

High RPM, high speed, and big throttle openings lowers your fuel economy. Minimizing these three factors improves your mileage. Factors you can't control are headwinds, stop and go traffic, etc. Beyond that it's all what gears you chose and how much you twist your wrist.

At some point it will cut into your fun factor, depending on what you expect out of your ride.

Greg

All the above, proper tire inflation, and keeping the air filter clean.

It seems like i always get about 195 miles to 2.9 gallons. About 67mpg's. If I stay off the interstate and short shift all the time I can get closer to 210 miles. Done it once. that is about 72 miles per gallon. Compared to my car which get 27 miles to the gallon I am happy. I think that most of us who are forced to drive to work on a regular basis, can honestly say that the bike nearly pays for itself. I was spending about $200 a month on fuel and now it is about $50 a month. My bike payment is $138 a month. All that and I get to ride a bike instead of a cage. WINNING!!!

I'm not where 670cc is, but anytime I hit the twisty roads or do wide open starts, my mileage drops into the 60's.
When I take a long ride, I shift at 3000 rpm or under and keep it under 70 mph, I get around 76 mpg.

This bike makes me want to ride it more efficiently, shifting up under 3500 rpm, and slowing for stops sooner as it rewards with better mileage. On the other hand, sometimes I ride it hard because it is a motorcycle after all and it is fun to clip apexes and drive it out of corners WFO. I have gotten as little as 56 mpg US and as much as 90. Last Sunday my early morning ride netted 78 mpg over 142 miles.

Looking at Fuelly.com, the vast majority of people have been getting between 60-70mpg. I think you can extend that if you play around with the gearing (sprockets). I did that with my CBR250R. Going up 1 tooth in my front sprocket netted me 6% improvement on my MPG.

Don't forget, if you change the sprocket sizes on the NC, the speedometer/odometer will no longer be accurate, nor will your MPG figures (unless you base it off of GPS distance traveled).

The main reason for gaining MPG on 250's with sprocket changes (I did big time on my Ninja 250) is that they come geared too low for good fuel economy. The NC700 is geared properly from the factory, IMHO.

Greg

The main reason for gaining MPG on 250's with sprocket changes (I did big time on my Ninja 250) is that they come geared too low for good fuel economy. The NC700 is geared properly from the factory, IMHO.

Greg

Very good point, Greg. I will give the stock gearing of the NC700x a try and see how well I do.

The CBR250's gear is really close together. Changing the sprocket made it a little better at highway cruising. And yes, the speedometer is connect to the tranny so I have to recalculate to actual mile vs. fuel consumed.

This bike makes me want to ride it more efficiently, shifting up under 3500 rpm, and slowing for stops sooner as it rewards with better mileage. On the other hand, sometimes I ride it hard because it is a motorcycle after all and it is fun to clip apexes and drive it out of corners WFO. I have gotten as little as 56 mpg US and as much as 90. Last Sunday my early morning ride netted 78 mpg over 142 miles.

I too like the fact that the NCX is just so easy to ride efficiently. I just like riding it slow more often. I was on my Goldwing this morning, when I left the stop light to get on the highway, I opened it up, real soon I was at 95 mph with a smile on my face.
I shut it down to the speed limit and a few seconds later a Sheriff passed me going the opposite direction.
If I ever get a buy on a ZX14 or Busa, I will go too jail. Sometimes I just can't control the urge.

Last edited:
I too like the that the NCX is just so easy to ride efficiently. I just like riding it slow more often. I was on my Goldwing this morning, when I left the stop light to get on the highway, I opened it up, real soon I was at 95 mph with a smile on my face.
I shut it down to the speed limit and a few seconds later a Sheriff passed me going the opposite direction.
If I ever get a buy on a ZX14 or Busa, I will go too jail. Sometimes I just can't control the urge.
Don't I know ...........

IMG_0023.jpg

i just went from Hepner Oregon,to Benton City Wa. on 1.18 us gallons. I didnt know what my mpg was till I googled the distatnce 93.1 miles. We had two riders who just had fixed flats so speed was at 50 to55. One of our riders was on a Susuzki Dl 650 the dual sport and he put in 1.5 galllons into his tank.

i just went from Hepner Oregon,to Benton City Wa. on 1.18 us gallons. I didnt know what my mpg was till I googled the distatnce 93.1 miles. We had two riders who just had fixed flats so speed was at 50 to55. One of our riders was on a Susuzki Dl 650 the dual sport and he put in 1.5 galllons into his tank.

Suzuki DL650 or the Vstrom 650 get pretty good MPG also, over 50mph on highway if you keep it under 70mph... Used to have one...

I got 73mpg the one time I was able to keep it at 65mph. What a lesson in control that was. Lol.

I typically find myself cruising at 75-85 on my 120 mile a day Temecula to San Diego commute. Hard to not feel like I'm going to get run over at anything less than 80.

Since 65 seems to be optimal cruise range and that is 3500rpm +/- , 75 is about 4k and still nets me about 61mpg. Anything over and I'm getting 55-56mpg and I feel that is terrible, even at a 80mph cruise speed. I've got to be able to gear it to run around 3800 at 80 and get better sustained cruising mileage.

Bamo, your mpg stats match mine. I bought the NC strictly for commuting to and from work, 50 miles round trip M-F, of which 97% is 65mph highway (re: 70 mph).

It most certainly pays for itself and the ride home is therapeutic.

But I have a question for you: your bike pic shows you have a rear trunk. Is that the Honda trunk? When I bought my NC I had ordered the rear trunk as part of the deal. Two days later I was told the trunk and mounting rack would not be available until November. How did you get yours so quick? Thanks, man...

Back