• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

More teething problems - dealership service dept

6 quarts from amazon for Mobil 1 98JA11 Racing 4T 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil for Sport Bikes - 1 Quart (Case of 6) : Amazon.com : Automotive $59 each
$12 Rebate (up to two rebates allowed) http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/automotive/detail-page/Mobil1_Amazon_Rebate0812.pdf

Get two more quarts for $9.97 each from walmart Mobil 1 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil, 1qt: Automotive : Walmart.com for $10

Now you are covered for 4 oil changes for $114 + tax depending on where you live. that is $28.50/oil change

I will be using Valvoline 10w40 JASO MA motor oil in mine. $4.99 per qt. I have used Valvoline for years in my cars and trucks. I don't see the extra value in synthetic oils. Current refining processes with dino oil puts it at or very close to the same performance as synthetics at half the price. JMO

Today I went to the dealer to p/u my clutch filter that they had to order, I returned the gallon of 10/40 honda dyno I bought the other day and got 4 qts of
10/30 honda syn, I figgered Honda prolly used that oil from the factory and I'll stick with it in 110 deg or 40 deg. I'll do changes with both filters at 5000 miles
I have the DCT, maybe the 10/30 will work better with it. Price was 8.99 qt. from my Honda dealer with my 10% off. Its still hot here now and it shifts and runs great so 10/30 yr round....maybe. I should be at 600+ by the weekend, will give it a good going over then when all dem pirates are out bar hoppin, its safer than way.

I will be using Valvoline 10w40 JASO MA motor oil in mine. $4.99 per qt. I have used Valvoline for years in my cars and trucks. I don't see the extra value in synthetic oils. Current refining processes with dino oil puts it at or very close to the same performance as synthetics at half the price. JMO

Ditto that on the Valvoline. Last spring Autozone put 10W40 JASO MA motorcycle oil on sale for $3/quart. On top of that I had a $1 per quart rebate, so it came to $2 per quart. I bought 36 Quarts! All the bikes in my fleet can use this oil. That's why I'm using 10W40 and not 10W30.

Ditto that on the Valvoline. Last spring Autozone put 10W40 JASO MA motorcycle oil on sale for $3/quart. On top of that I had a $1 per quart rebate, so it came to $2 per quart. I bought 36 Quarts! All the bikes in my fleet can use this oil. That's why I'm using 10W40 and not 10W30.

I was all over that deal myself!

Anybody interested in learning about oil should read this article. The website contains some really excellent information on a wide variety of motorcycle topics, and sells NC700 windshields, too.

All About Motor Oil

Some good info there but don't take it all for gospel. The line that bothers me is, "Personally, I don't care about JASO standards - they're really not on my radar. "

This is the same author that states that Honda brand oil filters are "Not recommended", but speaks highly of the ones (formerly) from Walmart.

Greg

Last edited:
In my many years of riding motorcycles and getting the best value/engine protection, my conclusions, to date, are;
I live/ride in a moderate temp climate area and use GN4 10W-30 oil. For hotter areas, 10W-40 is better.

Currently I paid $6.20 for GN4, Walmart caries Valvoline ATV 10W-40 for $5.83/ qt, (w/6-pack purchase).

Quite simply, I'm done trying to 2nd guess Honda on what oil is best for my DCT. If I lived in Arizona, I might
watch for Valvoline sales, knowing the GN4 price is fixed.

In my many years of riding motorcycles and getting the best value/engine protection, my conclusions, to date, are;
I live/ride in a moderate temp climate area and use GN4 10W-30 oil. For hotter areas, 10W-40 is better.

Currently I paid $6.20 for GN4, Walmart caries Valvoline ATV 10W-40 for $5.83/ qt, (w/6-pack purchase).

Quite simply, I'm done trying to 2nd guess Honda on what oil is best for my DCT. If I lived in Arizona, I might
watch for Valvoline sales, knowing the GN4 price is fixed.

I used the Honda full syn 10/30 in AZ for over 7K miles in my 2012 NC700DCT, never used a drop and never even looked dirty!

There's Valvoline ATV 10W-40, and then there's also Valvoline Motorcycle 10W-40. I don't know if the oil is different or just the label. Anyway our Walmarts have the Motorcycle version for $3.99/quart. I've ran my first two 8000 mile intervals with it (at 16,000 now), and it works fine, never burned a drop. It meets the JASO specs called out in the Honda manual. Honda service manual also states that either 10W-30 or 10W-40 is acceptable in the NC700X.

"Works fine; lasts a long time. Guaranteed not to rust, bust, or collect dust."

Valvoline.jpg

Last edited:
bike pickling  Fall 2014 002.jpgIhave been buying my bulk GN-4 Honda 10-40 from my dealer for years, talk to yours some will, others won't depends on the dealership and how well they know u . I pay a lot less than by the single litre when I buy bulk but I do use a lot of oil. I use it in everything 4 stroke, lawn mowers,dirt bike,700X.even in my Toyota Tundra. I use the 10 litre (2.5) gal. jugs and fill 4, and I never run out of oil. Works great, filler end fits right in the Honda oil fill hole,no funnels, no mess takes no time for oil fill. Ride safe.

Oh the endless oil debate.... I'll chime in :)

This is how I decide what to put in:

I ask myself am I going to be riding the bike as it was designed and envisioned to be ridden, both in type of riding, length, climate and harshness? If so, I run EXACTLY What the manual asks for.

In this case, that means Pro Honda GN4 10w30.

My other bikes are sometimes different. Like my race bike, also a Honda. The manual calls for the same Pro Honda GN4 in 10w30. I am however, asking far more of the oil than what the engineers originally expected the bike to be handling -- and thus, I run a high quality fully synthetic race oil which has better flow around things like bearings and such.

So bottom line, my two cents, be honest with yourself in what you're asking of the engine and give it what it needs accordingly.

Back