• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle ownership per state (US)

That doesn't happen in California, pay your fee and get your sticker.
True, but the mileage is still recorded when the vehicle is transferred. When you registered the motorcycle the mileage is recorded. When you sell or otherwise dispose of the motorcycle (any vehicle) the mileage is also recorded. Subtract those two numbers from each other and divide by the number of months/years between transfers and bingo...That ever elusive <annual mileage> figure is easily determined.

I'm pretty sure Federal law <requires> all states to record vehicle mileage unless they are older than 10 years or so...

They would be waiting a long time for mine, I hold on to bikes for 10 years or more usually.

I know some states/countries require yearly checks, so far, we have escaped that. :rolleyes:

If California has great motorcycle laws and weather, why are people there less likely to own a motorcycle, when on the other hand there are more bikes per person in North Dakota or Minnesota?

Maybe because of California's chaotic traffic and abundance of lunatic drivers. As a former Californian, both of those things were on my mind a lot. Riding around most of Oregon is a much more pleasant experience.

If the assumption is that bikes are toys vs necessities, then mean income (ignore the 1%) per person per 1000 dollar avg bike price might be useful.
Reasoning lots of people , but many have low incomes, cali bikes tend to be more expensive cos of the crazy restrictions creating a closed, somewhat, market

I'm always amazed, as I drive around my neighborhood, at the number of people with bikes in the garage I've never seen ridden

Not in Arkansas!
In Arkansas the mileage is reported when the motorcycle is sold so it would be simple arithmetic problem to figure out the <average> miles per year.

You keep the bike five years and sell it with 15,000 miles on it. Divide the 15k/five years....

My point was that it is very easy to figure a relatively accurate average miles/year by simply looking at registration and title records across the country. Some states record the mileage when the bike is registered yearly, others when it is sold or scrapped. Other states don't record squat when it comes to mileage.

I don't think it is necessary to include every single motorcycle every single year to get a reasonably accurate estimate of average annual mileage....

That is what statistics are for ;-)

oldmanaz:

Even here in Pennsylvania Summer days can really be hot.
Our days get really humid as well.
I told my wife those days are not all that much fun to ride in.
It is like doing 60 MPH into a giant hair dryer.
Then seeing all those four wheelers with their windows up means they are sitting comfortable in the AC.

God bless!!

Michael

Back