• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycle VS Speed Bump

wgwgoldwing

So long folks!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Whoopsie...

[video=youtube;_PAFtLtOX7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PAFtLtOX7k&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

WGW

He ran out of motorcycle and skill at exactly the same moment. Sometimes more of one can compensate for less of the other. But coinciding deficits are painfully instructional. Bad cop. No donut.

Watched it many times to try to understand why it launched so violently. Clearly the hump is taller than the suspension and it bottomed forcefully on the stops. But with the correct rider inputs, that could have also launched the bike into a landable flight trajectory. What I think he did was not to hit it unawares, which might have actually been better, but rather to see it at the last moment and chop the throttle. Power on lofts the front and power off is a guaranteed front wheel landing, of which, this is an exaggerated example.

Other thoughts?

His front wheel gets next to no air, so I would say he either slammed on the front brake at the very last second or some sort of pothole/ stop. Either/or that had to hurt, but at least he was somewhat ok.

Hard to tell from the blurry video, but he was probably sitting on the seat too since he didn't see it coming. A bit of a seat bounce, throttle chop and a last second fist full of front binders may have all contributed to him becoming a human catapult projectile. I think the only thing he did right was to wear proper gear.

WGW

For Giggles and Grins I go over speed bumps routinely @ 25-30 MPH in my mid town neighborhood. As was said before, I always stand on the pegs and absorb the shock with my knees. No problems have occurred like this. Amazing. Maybe I will start to slow down. I hope this person was not seriously hurt.

For Giggles and Grins I go over speed bumps routinely @ 25-30 MPH in my mid town neighborhood. As was said before, I always stand on the pegs and absorb the shock with my knees. No problems have occurred like this. Amazing. Maybe I will start to slow down. I hope this person was not seriously hurt.

If you are using proper technique and have control, hitting them at speed is fine. This video shows what happens when you aren't ready. I have five speed humps in my neighborhood and they are fun to hit on the NCX and supermoto. Not so much fun on the goldwing or in the truck.

WGW

Back