• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Motorcycling is Expensive

When I had my f250 the bike was way cheaper, now with civic, the bike is just a little cheaper...then I need tires and then it's a push. I love the bike, the car is ok.

I think Motorcycling is expensive because as consumer we havent asked for more either.

I think motorcycle should come ready to storage option, adjustable seat, pegs and handles. adjustable windscreen.

most of my money have been spend on ergo and comfort of the bike. teh next thing is making bike more maint free. or longer main interval. compared to cars of today the maint interval of a bike is a joke and costly

My daily driver car (mostly in the winter months) is a 1997 Saab 900s that I paid $750USD for three years ago. Tires last about 60,000 miles and it gets 34 mpg. Total cost (per mile) it is much, MUCH cheaper than my NC700x (and it has A/C, heated seats, cruise control and can carry 3 other people) but you know what? I don't care! The NC puts a smile on my face and is a joy to ride every day. The Saab? Not so much....

I've turned my as purchased $8,000 motorcycle into a $12,000 motorcycle (lots of farkles) that is now worth <maybe> $5,000 if I'm lucky......... Certainly not the smartest transportation investment ;-)

Yes, motorcycling is expensive!

Last edited:
It has been a money saver for me. I bought a bike instead of a Jeep. :)

That's exactly where I was...a few weeks before I was ready to buy a Jeep, a friend bought the exact same one I wanted. I got the NC instead and I'm glad. If any of you think farkling a motorcycle is expensive, try making a Jeep cool on the same money. Tires alone cost almost as much as I've spent on everything I put on my bike.

Being an accountant for many years, I like numbers and calculations. Of course motorcycling is quite an expensive hobby or passion, however, collecting post stamps can also get a daunting taks for one's wallet. Back to the spreadsheet in the first original post, it isn't really an expenses overview. It's just what he paid for the bike, loan, insurance, riding gear, accessoires and simple maintenance. The big question mark to me is, how expensive is owning and riding the NC really? Not just by judging it by the "start up costs", but by costs per km or mile. Here's a screen shot of the summarized sheet of my former motorcycle, which had a total (all-in) cost per km of 52 Eurocents. Or if I do a trip of lets say 1000 kms, I then know what the expected costs for maintenance & fuel will be: 250 Euros.
FJR-costs overview.jpg

What my (new) NC750XD costs per km, I don't know yet as I haven't ridden it enough to get an honest calculation (just done 1600 kms in two months).

Being an accountant for many years, I like numbers and calculations. Of course motorcycling is quite an expensive hobby or passion, however, collecting post stamps can also get a daunting taks for one's wallet. Back to the spreadsheet in the first original post, it isn't really an expenses overview. It's just what he paid for the bike, loan, insurance, riding gear, accessoires and simple maintenance. The big question mark to me is, how expensive is owning and riding the NC really? Not just by judging it by the "start up costs", but by costs per km or mile. Here's a screen shot of the summarized sheet of my former motorcycle, which had a total (all-in) cost per km of 52 Eurocents. Or if I do a trip of lets say 1000 kms, I then know what the expected costs for maintenance & fuel will be: 250 Euros.
View attachment 31068

What my (new) NC750XD costs per km, I don't know yet as I haven't ridden it enough to get an honest calculation (just done 1600 kms in two months).

I updated the sheet to include some 'minimal' theoretical future maintenance costs of the NC700X based on prices I've paid for stuff already and what future costs will be for things I haven't replaced yet. (e.g. chain and sprockets.)

This doesn't include riding gear, fines, parking fees, insurance etc... those are all highly subjective.

This includes gas, straight line depreciation ($8099 / 100,000 miles), oil changes, chain maintenance and tires for every 8000 miles, plus oil filter, air filter changes, chain and sprockets every 16,000 miles.

I'm no accountant, but I arrived at a little over 18 cents a mile, this assumes you do all the labor yourself including valve checks, and have no crashes etc...

The IRS currently allows for 51 cents a mile on motorcycles for tax deduction/expense purposes if used in a charitable/business function.

You apparently are not married, Supertux1. If you are keep that ledger well hidden or your riding days will be shortened considerably. And if you're not, what in the world are you keeping a ledger for. It just makes you cry and unhappy. And yes, my motorcycles are equivalent to owning a nuclear power plant, or a jet plane or racing team. But they sure are fun to play with.

Considering that I could be driving my company vehicle for personal use, and I'm paying the company for that privilege anyway because it's mandatory, all my local motorcycle miles are 100% pure unnecessary expense. Total waste.

I updated the sheet to include some 'minimal' theoretical future maintenance costs of the NC700X based on prices I've paid for stuff already and what future costs will be for things I haven't replaced yet. (e.g. chain and sprockets.) This doesn't include riding gear, fines, parking fees, insurance etc... those are all highly subjective. This includes gas, straight line depreciation ($8099 / 100,000 miles), oil changes, chain maintenance and tires for every 8000 miles, plus oil filter, air filter changes, chain and sprockets every 16,000 miles.

I'm no accountant, but I arrived at a little over 18 cents a mile, this assumes you do all the labor yourself including valve checks, and have no crashes etc...

I obviously missed the maintenance tab, my bad. Your 18 cents per mile is quite neat, hopefully I get a similar outcome.

For other contributors... As for being married, not or single... I'm married and have no issues with my wife or anyone else about spending my hobby-money. Probably because both my wife and me have separate accounts reserved for our own hobby's. I like touring, shooting and vaping. My wife likes reading, shopping and "mind relax stuff". In other words, my hobby's costs much more so separate personal expenses is only as fair as can be. :cool:

this thread does NOT remind me much of the enjoyment I get from riding. it does remind me of doing taxes on a bad year, however ; }

Last edited by a moderator:
this thread does NOT remind me much of the enjoyment I get from riding. it does remind me of doing taxes on a bad year, however ; }

I'm actually amazed at how _relatively_ cheap it is. Most of these are sunk costs that will be spread out over years and even into the next bike.

If you factor out the depreciation, the NC700X itself looks like it's going to cost anywhere from $722 - $1657 for 8,000 - 16,000 miles a year, including gas.

Once all the fixed costs are paid for, $1000 bucks a year to ride isn't a bad deal at all. I know people who spend more than that on shoes... (I am not married.)

I'm actually amazed at how _relatively_ cheap it is. Most of these are sunk costs that will be spread out over years and even into the next bike.
I bet if you ignore a few more of the actual costs to purchase, maintain, insure and ride a motorcycle you can eventually figure out a way to convince someone that.... YES!

I can actually make money riding a motorcycle!!

Just think: Ride a couple of hundred miles, stop, open the funk and take out a few $$$....rinse and repeat... How cool would that be? ;-)

The only way a real person who has a real motorcycle pays $1,000/year is if the bike never leaves the driveway ;-)

My bike related expense ledger is partly maintained by various state patrol offices.
On the second morning while riding GA to UT, an oncoming MO finest flashes his lights
and I think " oh he thinks my headlight is busted" (the ATwin only lights one side unless hi beams are on)
But he does a quick U-turn and stops me to make an entry in my expense ledger.
Thank you, officer I never knew you could laser an oncoming vehicle speed?

Yes, they can and my first ever oncoming laser bill was attained, in the beautiful Land Between The Lakes area.

Back