• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

My first close call on the NCX

I commute almost daily also, people on their phones appears to be the biggest cause of me having to avoid something, either having to slow down and stop due to them not seeing the light turn green, moving into my lane etc. etc. But I must confess I talk and text using my Sena with my phone safely in the Frunk. Glad you survived Sarge.

Using a mobile in the UK except on 'hands free' is an offence. People still do it though, though perhaps not quite as much as before.

Same here, except it made things worse...

Instead of holding the phone up at the steering wheel closer to eye level, now they try to hide them down in their laps or on the console in between the seats. Now their entire head has to look straight down, instead of just their eyes moving down a fraction.

It's a plague of stupidity and self entitled laziness. Add that to people's complete lack of ability to actually drive, (here in Canada anyway) and it's bloody scary.

Glad your quickness and skill, combined with a portion of luck(?), saved you, Sarge! Good job!

I had a similar situation this morning. A woman (probably in her advanced years) put on her turn signal and started coming into my lane without looking...

I ride with both my LED Driving Lights and High Beam “ON”, after dawn in the mornings. I was bright as the sun, so that is not an excuse.

I'm sorry to hear it. Your use of super-extra-bright auxiliary lights reminds me of the discussion thread the other day, wherein some claimed safety in defense of running way too much light during daylight.

Biggest problem around here is distractions as well. I commute every day, and when you're up high on a bike like the NC (even better, my previous commuter bike was a WR250R) you can see right down into the cabin of most cars. I'd say 65-75% that I look into the driver has a cell phone in their hands, mostly texting/emailing. You can bump that number to 95% when I go around them after they've done something idiotic.

It's actually sad. I can see a car drifting from one side of the lane to the other from 50' away and know that they're texting. Why this isn't being taken more seriously and ticketed, I have no idea.

trey
NO disrespect intended but in my jurisdiction officers have computers mounted on the seat next to them. It's hard to write tickets when on the phone and/or computer.

NO disrespect intended but in my jurisdiction officers have computers mounted on the seat next to them. It's hard to write tickets when on the phone and/or computer.

Well, that's true here as well unfortunately. Every now and then an officer will t-bone a car blowing through an intersection and it'll come out they were on their laptop, which gets everyone riled up for a while. Good point.

trey

hard to avoid those people that talk/text on there smart phones.

At times I see things develop and I get ready with my loud horn.

Glad your safe sgt. chuck !

ken

Oh yeah, good job Sarge having the foresight to see the event playing out beforehand and taking defensive measures. Close call but no lasting injury or damages - good riding!

It still amazes me that people just don't see bikes? I had a classic recently going along a straight piece of road with a cross road that had stop signs.. ie I had right of way as was on main road. With no obstructions of view anywhere I could see a car coming up to the intersection and just had that "feeling" and slowed right down. I saw him looking both ways right through me and he just started to go. If i hadn't braked and laid on the horn he would have perfectly T-boned me. What amazed me is I was close enough to see him in the eyes looking "through" me and clearly not seeing me. What made it all the more annoying is I was wearing a hi-viz jacket and that when my horn woke him up to the fact a vehicle was there I got the look like somehow it was my fault. He got some choice words.

O.K. I confess. I have been guilty of "looking through" a motorcycle and pulling out in front of him.

It happened about 25 years ago before I started riding. I thought I was an attentive driver. I had heard that it is easy to overlook a motorcycle, but I didn't think I would do it.

I was driving in downtown Oklahoma City on a Sunday afternoon, so no traffic at all. I pulled up to a stop light or sign (don't remember which), looked both ways, then made a right turn onto the street. I was already in the traffic lane when I saw the motorcycle and by then it was too late for me to stop. I didn't cause an accident but it was very close.

The cop on that police bike (true story) gave me a reason to never forget the lesson I learned that day, and I never will.

O.K. I confess. I have been guilty of "looking through" a motorcycle and pulling out in front of him.

It happened about 25 years ago before I started riding. I thought I was an attentive driver. I had heard that it is easy to overlook a motorcycle, but I didn't think I would do it.

I was driving in downtown Oklahoma City on a Sunday afternoon, so no traffic at all. I pulled up to a stop light or sign (don't remember which), looked both ways, then made a right turn onto the street. I was already in the traffic lane when I saw the motorcycle and by then it was too late for me to stop. I didn't cause an accident but it was very close.

The cop on that police bike (true story) gave me a reason to never forget the lesson I learned that day, and I never will.

Look a similar time ago 20+ years.. I remember merging onto the motorway late at night (in a car) and looking as I did it. There was NO traffic so I casually crossed a couple of lanes. I remember suddenly a bike appearing beside me and a girl pillion just staring at me agog as they went past. Now back then as a young man I had a GSXR750 and it was not unusual to be wide open on those things late at night on an empty motorways as the likelihood of being arrested was significantly less. But it has stuck in my mind for so many years , did I casually cross into his path because he was nailing his sports bike and he was not yet in my field of vision? or did I just miss him on an empty motorway thanks to whatever reason?

I do think though that there is a general casualness to driving now that is unbelievable. As a bike rider I think over the years you become attuned to the risk. It may not be a sixth sense its probably simply a feeling of "all these people are idiots and are out to get me!" .

Good job Chuck! I know for a fact that the NCX can lock up both wheels and still ride straight, but I'd prefer not to have to do that again :D

I don't think I'm that good of a rider, because when I had to lock the brakes on my Sabre 1100 it always went sideways. But the two times I had to stop really fast and heard tires squeal on the NCX, it rode straight and true. I think I'll attribute the better stopping to the NCX and not this rider :D

Sorry, no ABS on my bike. I'm not sure what to think about ABS as I've never rode anything that had it on two wheels. I like ABS just fine on my truck tho :)

All DCTs have it. I actaully got to use the ABS on the "Test Ride" before buying the bike. Some "Jackass" pull out in front of me to make a right turn, which forced me to "Slam On" the brakes. It really works. I think there was another time after I got the bike on the past month. It's worth the extra $500 for the DCT and the ABS... :D

You cannot drive a truck anymore without ABS. I had the Speedo Sensor go out on the my RAM 2500. I had to "Slam On" the brakes and the truck skidded because the ABS could not work without the Speed Sensor. The ABS makes a world of difference on a vehicle that weighs 6,600 lbs or towing a load of 7,000 lbs more hitched behind it.

Back