• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Narrow saddlebags

NuckaMan

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason why I purchased a NC is strictly for commuting purposes and also I am about to enter a grad program which will require the bike to be parked outside in the campus parking lot on occasion (unfortunately, the campus is located in a unsavory part of east Los Angeles).

I am in the search of saddlebags to store low-risk items such as bike-lock, flat/small compressor, bike cover, and a place to store my jacket so I don't have to take it to class with me. Saddlebags don't have to be lockable, but would be nice. All high-risk items will be with me in my daily backpack.

I need something as narrow as possible because I lane-split all everyday. If anyone is from southern CA, understands just how compressed and congested freeways like the 405 can get, so size matters.

So far, I like some of the stuff Givi has. I do like the looks of the OEM bags but look a little wide. The max width I would be looking for is no wider than the stock bars, but anything narrower would be a plus.

I recently ordered a pair of the Givi E22N hard shell cases . They lock and are probably as narrow as you're going to get. You need to also get the mounting brackets (one for the bags, another adapter if you are not going to be using a top case) and all in your looking at around $550 or so. I ordered them from Revzilla.

I ended up not keeping them and went with Shad because I decided I wanted more capacity and I like the look of the Shad mounting bar when I do not have the panniers on. It's pretty slick.

I doubt any hard cases are narrower than the OEM Honda saddlebags (which I have). They're just about the same as handlebar width. Soft bags could be narrower, but they're (obviously) much easier to run off with.

As has been mentioned, consider a top box if you want to store a jacket. A jacket _will_ fit in a Honda saddlebag, but how well it'll fit has a lot to do with what style jacket you wear. Racing leather with tons of hard external armor will be very tough. A mesh Joe Rocket type will be easy. Everything else is in-between.

I agree with MZ5. My stock bags are nice and narrow with the lines of the bike but it would be a squeeze to stuff a riding jacket, etc. into one. Suggest a nice top box. It will still be no wider than your handlebars but it will hold your stuff quite well.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Regarding top case. It's a stupid reason but I prefer not to run a top case simply because I can swing my leg over the way I want to. I know, it's a lame reason but I had 1200 GS with all 3 factory bags, I really hated the top case being there so I never ran it no matter if I could have used the extra space, like on a longer trip.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Regarding top case. It's a stupid reason but I prefer not to run a top case simply because I can swing my leg over the way I want to. I know, it's a lame reason but I had 1200 GS with all 3 factory bags, I really hated the top case being there so I never ran it no matter if I could have used the extra space, like on a longer trip.

I have had my NC since 2013 and use it solely for commuting. I agree with MZ5 that the OEM are probably the most narrow. In 6 years, I have never had my panniers or top box off the bike. FWIW, I"m an old man and the top box really does not get in the way of swinging my leg over. I have never hit the top box and it takes a good amount of effort for me to get my leg over that bike.

As for the EOM panniers, I found a couple cardboard boxes that fit perfectly in the squared off bottom section of the panniers. I put stuff like jumper cables, chain oil, and a tire repair kit. It is tough to get a jacket and pants in one pannier but it is possible. Just tight.

The fact that I couldn't store my riding jacket in the E22N's is the only reason I upsized to the 35 liter Shads. I missed that detail in your original post or would have already mentioned that. I have a fairly thick hoody that would just about fill the E22N, no way to fold up a jacket with armor in it and cram it in. The Honda OEM panniers look narrow and have a funky shape that may give you enough room. The Shad panniers stick out a lot in comparison.

I can fit my XL Icon mesh jacket with liner in it inside the oem bags. And it will also fit inside the frunk.

Here are few pics of oem bag setup on my bike. Very pleased with them.

925703a057295bef25d2312d0f8f3289.jpg

42a1977c963103ae901b721fcd0dcb9a.jpg

f6450a579743e0b66aa578f221f6f9b9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

in CA, where splitting lanes is legal, narrow rear is much more important than elsewhere (IMO).

I know you aren't a fan of top cases, but if much of your commute is splitting I'd strongly advise going that way. I strongly dislike the bike being wider behind me than in front of me.

Back