• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC 700 X specific Chain / Sprocket Set

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was researching chain wear and came across [THIS] set of sprockets and chain that fit the NC. $110

Wow... I'm already running all three now on my NC and hope to report they last longer than the D.I.D. and JT combo I usually use.

(no affiliation with any of these companies... I just like sharing a good deal.)

I've been running the JT chain for a few thousand (as have you, I think, Strat?), but have other brands of sprockets on.

It is looking like I'll be in the market for a new chain and sprocket set very soon and have a couple of questions.

Is this a 'drop-in' replacement or does the chain require modification?

I am running a 150/70-17 rear tire, so I consider changing the rear sprocket to match my bigger rear tire?

Thanks a million for posting this.

belrix

I went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and that got the speedo almost back to correct. I played with the gearing website, don't remember the link off hand, and 2 teeth is a little higher than stock and 3 is a tad lower. I'll probably go 3 next time. If you get the chain/sprocket from a place like sprocket center, they will send the chain cut to the correct length.
You will need a chain tool to remove the old chain and install the master link on the new chain. OK so you can cut off the old chain with a saw/dremel and clip links can be installed with common hand tools but DID recommends a rivet link so that is what I went with. I got the Motion Pro chain tool which works well. I use it to push out a rivet on the old chain to break it apart, press on the side plates, and stake the new rivet.

It is looking like I'll be in the market for a new chain and sprocket set very soon and have a couple of questions.

Is this a 'drop-in' replacement or does the chain require modification?

I am running a 150/70-17 rear tire, so I consider changing the rear sprocket to match my bigger rear tire?

Thanks a million for posting this.

belrix

These are the same as the NC came with. 16T in the front 43T in the back.
I've been using the D.I.D. chain and JT sprockets, so now I have all JT.
I haven't noticed a difference so far.
It will be interesting to see when the "kinks" start to show up... on the D.I.D. VX2 chain that was usually about 12K.

I can't help much if you've changed Sprocket size, but I imagine the longevity would be about the same.

StratTuner,

That appears to be a good price. Like yourself, I tried high quality components and still don't get the mileage I would expect out of the chain. I got 2,000 more miles out of my high quality chain (16,000 mi) compared to the factory chain (14,000mi). I might try 90 weight oil this time to lube my chain. Someone also suggested Lithium Grease, as he believes, that is what is used in the chain as the lubricant.

I looked into the chain mentioned above. it's interesting that the same person (only 1) who reviewed the chain on Amazon, replied to a questions I have. Here was the answer.

"It has a clip. I've never had a problem with them. This chain is wearing fast needing adjustment about every 300 miles. Got 26,000 out of the stock chain. Might not see 12 with this one"

For $17 more (at Sprocket Center) , I can get a DID VX2 chain, and regular sprockets. The sprockets mentioned above are premium sprockets, but I don't think they are necessary with the chain life I've been getting and replacing the sprockets every time I replace the chain.

I have had a problem with clips.! The JT chain I have is at mile 6000 or so.... still waiting to see if it lasts as long as the VX2.

(I once rode a Bun Burner 1500 with nothing on the master link....
NO clip, rivet... not even scotch tape...Good thing I didn't know it... but nothing happened.)

Last edited:
I've got a set of JT sprockets waiting to go on, but at 30k miles, I keep comparing my OE sprockets to them, and don't see any wear. I'm on my 3rd chain BTW, averaging 12k miles on them.

You will need a chain tool to remove the old chain and install the master link on the new chain. OK so you can cut off the old chain with a saw/dremel and clip links can be installed with common hand tools but DID recommends a rivet link so that is what I went with. I got the Motion Pro chain tool which works well. I use it to push out a rivet on the old chain to break it apart, press on the side plates, and stake the new rivet.

That reminds me... [THIS] ($20) is the chain tool I use to break and rivet. It's the same one Cycle Gear stores sell for $39.
The instructions are OK.... terse but in good English.
chaintool.jpg

Last edited:
I am reviving this thread since I installed the JT sprockets and chain and now have 13,000 miles on the set. The sprockets are still in very good shape; however, the chain is almost done. It has stretched (no kinks though) and I only have about 1/4 inch left on the chain adjusters. I think I can get another 500-600 country road miles riding out of the chain, but if I hit the Interstate-probably not. I had adjusted it the day before I left for the 'return to the Dragon' weekend and while out on the Blueridge, I adjusted it and it was fine. I checked it before I left for home and it was good, but after the almost 400 miles home, it was too loose again and adjustment was required again, now to its current position. So, I got less than 20,000 miles on the OEM, probably less than 15,000 on the JT chain, boy, I miss the OEM chain off my 2009 bmw 650gs-it was still good at 32,000 miles (even though its rear sprocket was shot). The price for the JT sprockets and chain is less than $105 though...I hate chain maintenance though, wish it had shaft drive (like my 2007 C50 Boulevard, now with 76000+ miles on it).

Back