• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC Speedo/Rev counter

Torquepen

Reaction score
www.dieselbike.net
After being shown that the new CB500X has the facility to display the motorcycle's MPG (on right of screen) I'm thinking it's something I'd like to have seen included on the NC's clocks.
I guess we can only wonder why Honda felt it wasn't nessarcary to include it on our bikes :-/

We have that MPG display on the Honda Fit car.... I think it must have been a marketing choice... the idea of displaying the MPG in real time probably wouldn't sell to the "sport bike" crowd.

I don't think I'll ever see one on mine because I'd have to buy a new display panel, and knowing Honda, that would be prohibitively expensive.
Could they add it by changing the software? Maybe we could "flash" the ROM? I doubt it since the display has dedicated displays leaving Honda with NO EXTRA Pixels to play with.

I've never seen an accurate mpg display, they seem to be quite optimistic. I used to think I wanted a temp gauge, but then there are times when I really don't want to know how hot or cold it is. The gear indicator would be nice though.

I have one on my car which I don't use. It does not tell me anything I don't already know. Acceleration = poor mpg, coasting = great mpg.

Honda has put trip computer (mpg etc) information on sport bikes. I had a 2008 CBR1000rr that had one. I'm guessing that it wasn't included on the NC due to Honda trying to keep this bike as inexpensive as possible.

Bob

I would like to see coolant temp. Honda likes to let engines get really hot (for water cooled, not air cooled) before kicking the fan on. I've put a toggle switch in line so I can kick the fan on at my choice. It is connected so the bike still turns it on if I forget

aren't you guys ever happy?
kicking_dirt-1020.gif

The other approach is that there is less to go wrong and being a Honda, never goes wrong anyway so why carry it along for a 100,000 miles? That said I did install my own ambient air temperature gauge, that would be nice OEM.

You gonna do some reading while you ride?

Well, I don't need a compass, a second-by-second display of my fuel efficiency, an idiot light to tell me what gear I'm in, or any of the other stuff, so I've got to do something to "keep up with the Joneses" when it comes to two-wheeled ADHD.

It would appear that the first generation who never just sat quietly have all grown up and bought motorcycles now.

Back