• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700 Cold Day Starter Issue?

nycnorb

Reaction score
Visit site
It's cold here on a regular basis in the North East, and my NC is being temperamental. It seems the starter is not turning, even though the battery seems OK - see video below....

Any advice?

[video=youtube_share;-hJGaEGzISc]https://youtu.be/-hJGaEGzISc[/video]

Its winter in NY............starting the bike and not riding it might be worse than just storing it correctly with a battery tender.

Battery low state of charge, poor connection .......and there is the starter relay is recalled on certain year NC700.

Summary: Honda (american honda motor co. ) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 st1300pa, 2014-2015 cb500, cbr500, crf250l, cbr650, ctx700, nss300, vt750, vt1300, 2015 cb300f, cbr300, cbr600, and 2014-2016 nc700 motorcycles. In the affected motorcycles, sealant may have been incorrectly applied to the starter relay switch, and as a result, the electrical system may have a loss of power.

It's cold here on a regular basis in the North East, and my NC is being temperamental. It seems the starter is not turning, even though the battery seems OK - see video below....

Any advice?
It seems ok but you can't be sure without some open circuit voltage measurements and a load test...

It does *seem* like a classic bad battery, to me. You really can't go by a battery's simple showing of 12.5 - 13+ volts on a meter, or that it lights up all the lights, and is always on a charger. That's where a load test is needed as ste7ios points out, if there is a suspected starting problem due to the battery's condition, and not simply a poor connection or relay problem etc.

Doesn't even matter if the bike/battery is virtually brand new, as they can fail very quickly. When I had my BMW, there were many other F800 owners reporting failed batteries on their brand new few month old bikes. There were internal shorting problems on a fairly high percentage of the batteries right off the showroom floor. I read of a lot of battery warrantees.

Update - Started this morning after being topped off with a battery tender. Still I've went ahead and ordered a new battery.

Thanks for the insights/notes; I've learned a few things about batteries:)

Back