• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700 DCT or Versys

ALF

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I'm torn between getting a NC or Versys, I just sold my Burgman 650 and I really like the clutchless riding style, that got me thinking about getting a DCT version, I have a local dealer offering me a 2014 NC DCT with 3200 miles, I wonder why would someone trade in a low miles bike like that? is there something wrong with it? are there any issues with the DCT tranny??? any info will be helpful...tks
Alf

I don't think it has anything to do with the DCT, more with the bike itself for some people.

The NC is a reasonable bike. Not something that is a "show-off" like a BMW. Some may just think, that it is too reasonable.
Then there is the power. 48HP may be a bit little if you want to ride with a pillion and luggage often.

Apart from that, i think the DCT is a must have on that bike. Or else you'd be shifting way to much. Not so on bigger bikes with more power.

Ride both for at least an hour or two and then make up your mind. You are the only one who can decide.

What DC said. I got mine with 2,500 miles on it. I think some punk kid probably saw how fast it looks and thought it was a crotch rocket. It's a great pulling bike for as little as it is.
Good for the long haul, not stoplight to stoplight.

i wouldnt have a an nc without the dct, i love it that much. if i want gobs of power for the street, i have my goldwing.

What DC said. I got mine with 2,500 miles on it. I think some punk kid probably saw how fast it looks and thought it was a crotch rocket. It's a great pulling bike for as little as it is.
Good for the long haul, not stoplight to stoplight.

You're right, it's not a crotch rocket and it doesn't have a lot of top-end power but I find it to be surprisingly quick stoplight to stoplight - especially with the DCT. You get perfect full throttle launches every time.

You're right, it's not a crotch rocket and it doesn't have a lot of top-end power but I find it to be surprisingly quick stoplight to stoplight - especially with the DCT. You get perfect full throttle launches every time.

Quick is relative. I rode with a buddy (his- a Fireblade) and he got on it beside me and I gave it all she had and thought I had hit the off button. I felt like I was slowing down. Reality was, he was going so much faster.

Quick is relative. I rode with a buddy (his- a Fireblade) and he got on it beside me and I gave it all she had and thought I had hit the off button. I felt like I was slowing down. Reality was, he was going so much faster.

A Fireblade is a 10 second quarter mile bike. That kind of acceleration is almost unusable in the real world. I guess my point is that the NC does not feel slow to me even though there are many faster bikes. My Zero is WAY quicker than the NC, I can't pin it for more than a couple of seconds without breaking the speed limit so I almost never do except for getting on the freeway. Even when I get off the Zero and hop right on the NC the power seems just fine. And in some ways, pushing the NC to its limits is more fun than not being able to approach the limits of the Zero. Maybe I just don't need blinding acceleration anymore (well, at least most of the time). The NC gets to 60 somewhere in the five second range and that feels fast enough for me.

I agree with you MichaelJohn. I now ride a Super Tenere but every time I got on the NC it was a fun bike. Not that the Tenere is a 'fast' bike, just a lot faster than the NC. Just shows to go you you don't need blindingly fast 200hp to have fun!

To answer your original question, the DCT is a pleasure to ride. I too had a 650 Burgman before owning the Honda. I think you'll find the DCT of the Honda much more to your liking than the CVT of the Suzuki. The shifting, both up and down, is seamless on the Honda, where I always was very aware of the downshifts the Suzuki was going through. In addition, the road feel is much better on the Honda due to its larger tires and different suspension and wheelbase. I think you'll like the Honda!

Wheel Base:

Versys: Wheelbase 55.7 in

NC7: Wheelbase 60.6 in

A 5 inch shorter wheebase will beat you up on a trip of any distance. Get the longer wheel base!

Last edited:
Seat height can be a factor your Bergman was 29.75 inches and the NC is 32.6 inches the Versys is 33.3 inches. Personally the seat height for my commute is a bonus seeing over and around traffic. You can find low mile trade ins for almost any bike for many reasons. Make a list of what you want to do with the bike and you will get a better answer but again almost any bike can do a lot of things it does come down to personal feel. Easy repair, low cost maintenance, insurance, weight distribution, storage, etc. make the NC the best choice for me. The sound of the motor and exhaust note is really important to many riders. If that is top of your list then the NC can be very quiet or have a somewhat pleasant twin rumble with an open exhaust. Good luck in your choice and enjoy.

done deal

2014 NC700X DCT with 3200 miles, HID headlight, Givi case mount (no box) taller windscreen(I hate it btw)

IMG_20160102_170547008.jpg

I have both the NC and the Versys and here's my two cents.

Versys is a taller bike than the NC. On the Versys, I'm on the balls of my feet, whereas on the NC, my feet are solidly on the ground. The Versys also has a higher center of gravity, with a waist level 5 gal tank, vs. the NC's lower center of gravity. For me, this has made a difference in controlling the bike at low speed or just walking the bike. I like the NC better in this one regard. So sit on both bikes and see how your foot lands on the ground. I've had the Versys tip over couple of times because the top heaviness make it hard to hold up when it leans over. The NC feels a lot lighter because of its lower CG.

The Versys, on the other hand, is a fun "enthusiast" bike - for people who like gunning it or actually enjoy shifting. That bike has pep, zip and just wants to go like a pony. Upshot - Versys is fun, the NC is utilitarian. Ergo, I ride the NC everyday - with the frunk, topbox and panniers, I have gobs of storage. I take the Versys out once or twice a week for zippy ride enjoyment.

Compared to the NC, the Versys has a more upright seating ergonomics so it more comfortable for long rides. You lean forward a bit on the NC. I installed a 30mm handlebar riser on the NC and is way more comfortable for me. (whatever bike you get, get a foam grip; it enhances ride comfort).

Both bikes are off road capable though they're designed mainly for tarmac. I hardly do any dirt biking but from what I've seen, both bikes do well off road with experienced riders.

If I had to choose one bike over the other today, I'd go with the NC. It could use more HP, but all the other pluses give it the nod. And I've grown to love the DCT form of riding.

Hi

I'm torn between getting a NC or Versys, I just sold my Burgman 650 and I really like the clutchless riding style, that got me thinking about getting a DCT version, I have a local dealer offering me a 2014 NC DCT with 3200 miles, I wonder why would someone trade in a low miles bike like that? is there something wrong with it? are there any issues with the DCT tranny??? any info will be helpful...tks
Alf

If you want to go clutch-less, then the NC700XD (DCT) is the right choice for you.

Regarding the low mileage, I can guaranty the bike is the fine. It was previous owner that did not want the bike some reason or another.

The NC700X is a not a 80 HP powerhouse, possibly one of the leading reasons for someone wanting to part with the NC. Also DCT is not a for everyone and you have to have an "Open Mind" regarding it and owning an equipped bike. For some, they has closed their minds to it and they usually ditch the bike within a short amount of time.

It's like breaking up with someone over something insignificant and not turning back.

Owning a DCT is like being in a meaningful relationship, it requires work and an open mind.

done deal

2014 NC700X DCT with 3200 miles, HID headlight, Givi case mount (no box) taller windscreen(I hate it btw)

View attachment 28065

CONGRATS on the getting the bike.

I suggest that you are play around with all the riding modes, D-Mode, S-Mode, and MT-Mode. I personally prefer "S-Mode" for all my normal driving.

I think that the following threads will be helpful to you as a new DCT owner:

S-Mode Questions.

Manual Mode "MT-Mode" Feedback.

Last edited:
If you read what you posted and were thinking about a DCT........would you buy one? I wouldn't.

It is a matter of prospective.

I see motorcycle ownership as a relationship, as I relied on my bikes for many years for my sole meanings of transportation in my early riding years.

There's plenty of "Give and Take" involved when it comes to motorcycles, such as horsepower, storage, etc...

We all broke our relationships with our past bikes for some reason or another.

We also found new ones and felt that magic all over again.

Back