• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT for First Time Rider?

There are many misconceptions out there. The DCT has 6 gears and a clutch (actually two) but it's controlled by a smart electronic system rather than manually.
The DCT has plenty of engine braking, just as much as the manual. I enjoy cruising curvy mountain roads using only the throttle at times.
At speed if you close the throttle the DCT will downshift instead of simply coasting in gear like a manual. You can be even more aggressive using the paddle shifter.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I can answer these questions now.

DCT is not dangerous, in fact, I'd argue it adds quite a bit of safety over a standard clutch setup.

Also, they lied to me! I read that the NC700X lacks the power to pass on the highway. That's BS.

I'm 260 lbs and was getting on the highway yesterday and got behind a slow moving 18 wheeler. I really wanted to go around, but there was a line of cars coming up on the left doing 70+ mph. On my Africa Twin, I wouldn't have thought twice about it as I know it has gobs of power in that situation, but on the NC700X, I almost didn't try it, but I did.

I looked down and was doing about 60 mph behind the 18 wheeler. I flipped on my blinker and pinned the throttle, next thing I noticed was the speedometer going 86, 87, 88 mph as I merged over in front of the 18 wheeler. I looked in my side mirror and the line of cars were fairly far back and starting to come up around the 18 wheeler. I had just ran off from the pack.

Even with a guy my size on it, this NC700X has plenty of power enough to make clean passes on the highway.
I think we told you not to listen to your friend that said you needed a liter bike.

I think we told you not to listen to your friend that said you needed a liter bike.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the Africa Twin, its the bike that suits my needs the best between the two. I just got back from an 3-day adventure bike ride in the dirt in the Texas Hill Country that I'm certain that the NC700X (in its stock form at least) couldn't handle.

I got the NC700X primarily for my daughter to ride, but I like to switch it up and take spins on it from time to time as well. It's a fun little scooter for runs into town and such.

21” tires track terribly on crappy and grooved pavements.

I had forgotten about this. After just shy of 5,000 miles on the bike, I can confirm this is incorrect.

The AT handles the pavement just fine as the videos I posted earlier show. I've had it 117 mph and its nice and smooth. No problem scraping the pegs if you like.

I had forgotten about this. After just shy of 5,000 miles on the bike, I can confirm this is incorrect.

The AT handles the pavement just fine as the videos I posted earlier show. I've had it 117 mph and its nice and smooth. No problem scraping the pegs if you like.
I don't recall saying the AT couldn't handle pavement just fine and given your reference points it surely does just that. Compared to good street rubber on a street bike though bias ply 21" tires track terribly over crappy pavement. Your experience can't reference that yet. No worries.

If you are scraping pegs I hope it all goes well for you, re post #96.

I don't recall saying the AT couldn't handle pavement just fine and given your reference points it surely does just that. Compared to good street rubber on a street bike though bias ply 21" tires track terribly over crappy pavement. Your experience can't reference that yet. No worries.
How many miles do you have on a CRF1000L?

I can answer these questions now.

DCT is not dangerous, in fact, I'd argue it adds quite a bit of safety over a standard clutch setup.

Also, they lied to me! I read that the NC700X lacks the power to pass on the highway. That's BS.

I'm 260 lbs and was getting on the highway yesterday and got behind a slow moving 18 wheeler. I really wanted to go around, but there was a line of cars coming up on the left doing 70+ mph. On my Africa Twin, I wouldn't have thought twice about it as I know it has gobs of power in that situation, but on the NC700X, I almost didn't try it, but I did.

I looked down and was doing about 60 mph behind the 18 wheeler. I flipped on my blinker and pinned the throttle, next thing I noticed was the speedometer going 86, 87, 88 mph as I merged over in front of the 18 wheeler. I looked in my side mirror and the line of cars were fairly far back and starting to come up around the 18 wheeler. I had just ran off from the pack.

Even with a guy my size on it, this NC700X has plenty of power enough to make clean passes on the highway.
I can tell you that these reports of lacking power come from the manual transmission bike. I tend to pop in top gear fairly quickly and final drive is very high for efficiency. When passing on a two lane, I often drop down three gears (sometimes 4). Plenty of power, you just have to do a bit of rowing to get there. Obviously, the DCT is a very different experience, you don't have to think about it, other than perhaps putting it in Sport.

...on my 1971 Kawasaki F7.

Oh, the seats look so comfortable on those old Enduros, compared to today's dual sports.

Ahh, the smell of two stroke exhaust, and the sound! - Berrrrring! da ding ding ding . . . .

Last edited:
My friend says I'll get bored quickly with a 50hp/500 lbs bike like the NC700X. I don't know if bored on motorcycles is a good thing or not.

Not knowing anything, when I look at the NC700X and the Africa Twin, they look like the same bike to me, but one with a bigger engine. Is that not the case? Would anyone mind sharing details on the differences?
IMO, you're (oh so) lucky to be able to enter the Moto ADV scene with a bike available such as the AT with DCT option.
The best part of riding with DCT without the predisposition of manual shifting, is that you can learn to ride the bike and the DCT, properly.
I know I've ruffled feathers many times by posting this but it's just fact.
Many people just don't make it to DCT, for whatever reason they give :(

I've ridden several days with an "experienced" rider who could not get out of the habit of riding the AT like he did a Harley Davidson for decades as a LEO[emoji3]
I started riding with DCT and never learned how to shift a motorcycle except to pass the licensing test, four years ago.
Why not learn to shift gears properly even after 4 years of riding?
DCT is so much more fun to ride!
In the end, your mileage may vary...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

During your rider course you probably heard the term more than once about your "riding career" or some variation of that. Riding is an growing, learning, evolving thing. If you enjoy riding then trust me your first bike is not going to be your final bike. So comments by friends and others about a bikes size being a determining factor is really useless for the most part. There is a reason they put everyone on 125,150,200,250cc bikes in the riders course. Learning the art of slow maneuvers is one of the big keys to motorcycle competence. I would encourage you to spend time learning to ride well. I frankly find that the bigger bikes don't facilitate that skill building in the same way. Since your not focusing in the off road area maybe worrying about having to pick your bike up over and over again isn't weighing in on your decision, but it is a factor at some point of having to pick up a bike.

During our riding careers we tend to migrate up to bigger and bigger bikes. Some stay there. It is a learning experience. I find I am going the opposite direction now to smaller and smaller bikes. I find them more fun, easier to ride well, and very economical. So enjoy your motorcycle journey. Take what you learned to heart in the MSF course and ignore your friends. Whatever you decide to ride enjoy the journey, but be safe.

A lot of people that love to ride will end up with 2 or more bikes in the garage that meet riding criteria that isn't handled well by one of the other bikes they own. You may find the same thing as your riding career progresses. I have found that there is no such thing as "one size fits all" and not every problem can use a hammer to fix it.

Have fun on your bike.
This is great. Well said.

I was thinking of getting a Shoei full face helmet, a jacket and gloves at least. I don't know much about the boots though. I'd like to get some, but I have a 14EEE foot and wonder how easy it will be to find some.

Here's a pic of the bike I'm hopefully buying today

30623712_10213602425588427_218979654910869504_o.jpg
Not the best color, but it's your steed [emoji16]

You’ll be fine on the way home and for a while yet because you’ll be so afraid of doing the wrong thing and going down. It’s three months from now when danger really ramps up for novice riders. Over confidence hurts.
And again at years 4&5, if you let statistics count. Lol
I pray I'm on the right side of the curve. [emoji3]

All good advice here. I'm 6'3", almost 70 and my knees aren't in good shape. I've made a few changes that you might consider but if you're more flexible they may not be necessary.
Lower footpegs, $45
Handlebar risers, $50
Thicker (better) seat, $100 - 300
Highway pegs, $75 - 150
Tall windscreen, $150 - 300
There's plenty of good advice here for these and other mods.
Other bikes may need similar mods. I like the NC because it's a good bike with great handling at very reasonable price so I can afford to set it up the way I want.
Best regards,
Garry

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gary...would you mind sharing how you lowered the footpegs? Thanks in advance!

Back