• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT - In the Market

PortlandZinMan

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

Quick introduction... Been riding for 40 years with cruisers and sport touring my area of liking. My last 3 bikes were all ST1100/1300, but I got out of riding due to a back injury a few years back. Now that I am on my feet again, I want back in! I have been researching and test riding bikes with some hard parameters on the list... After months, I have settled on the NC700x DCT. More on that research process if requested.

Why I am here... I knew there would be a NC700 community and having participated in these before, also know that they are the BEST place to go to find everything you need to make smart decisions.

I have my eye on several used NC700X DCT's in the Portland OR area - my favorite is a 2012 with 13,500 miles in what appears to be in really good condition. What I am asking you experts, is this... When I go into that dealership again, and before I write the check, what 3 or 4 items should I inspect very closely before purchasing. You know what I mean...every bike has its sore spots and I want to make sure this one is in good, but more important, safe condition.

I appreciate your time and am looking forward to spending a lot more time here and once I have a few NC700X miles, contributing to.

Don
Portland, OR

The 2012 NC700X really has no unique sore spots (I own two 2012s). A general inspection by the usual standards for motorcycles would suffice. I would expect the stock tires have already been replaced at that mileage, so you'd need to judge the worthiness of the ones installed.

Being a DCT you're after, you might ensure that the parking brake works, being that a PO may have driven it with the brake on. Also unique to the DCT is that the rear sprocket is 39 teeth instead of 43. An uneducated person or mechanic has been known to mistakenly install the wrong chain/sprockets on the DCT but that would be a very rare case. However it does mess up the DCT's brain.

The 2012 model had just one safety recall. The final drive chain was inspected and replaced if needed. You can run the VIN through at Recall Information - Honda Powersports

Last edited:
I would add, check the battery age/condition. If it's been abused (not kept charged) it might be getting weak. The DCT takes a fair amount of power, and weak batteries can cause (temporary) instrument glitches.

Our member map http://nc700-forum.com/forum/dcMembermap.php shows about 10 members residing in your area. People come and go on here so the accuracy of the map at any time is dubious. That info likely does you no good whatsoever, but I just thought it was interesting that the bike was possibly owned by a former member here.

When I go into that dealership again, and before I write the check, what 3 or 4 items should I inspect very closely before purchasing.
I would check in no particular order these few things:

Has the motorcycle had all recalls/service to date completed? Are there records of support?

Is there any extended factory warranty available? (My NC is factory warrantied until April 2019)

Can you have the previous owner please contact me?

If you are asking about DCT or NC specific issues I don't know of any.

It's official. I pick up a 2014 DCX with 6,500 miles on her this weekend. Totally stock, but in like new condition. A blank canvas!

Don

Welcome from South Florida. I have a 2013 DCT and have gotten much enjoyment from riding it. One of my first purchases was a duckfoot for the side stand and the Honda center stand.

Welcome aboard. I've had a 14 dct for about 20 months. Love it. Mine is well farkled and i did a 6500 mile tour of Utah/Colorado in June with no complaints.

20160612_080529-XL.jpg

Last edited:
It's official. I pick up a 2014 DCX with 6,500 miles on her this weekend. Totally stock, but in like new condition. A blank canvas!

Don

I have a 2014 DCT and my bike had three recalls. One for the instrument cluster, one for the frunk latch and one shared by many other Honda bikes, the starter solenoid. Run your VIN through the Honda web sight mentioned in post #2. The recalls were mildly annoying but goes to show that Honda stands behind their motorcycles. If something catastrophic happened to my bike and I had to buy another 2014 model I would do so.

I have a 2014 DCT and my bike had three recalls. One for the instrument cluster, one for the frunk latch and one shared by many other Honda bikes, the starter solenoid. Run your VIN through the Honda web sight mentioned in post #2. The recalls were mildly annoying but goes to show that Honda stands behind their motorcycles. If something catastrophic happened to my bike and I had to buy another 2014 model I would do so.

I can only find the starter switch one... is there any details on the other two....?

Last edited:
Hope you checked out Hillsboro Motorsport. Seemed like a great deal on my 2014 700x but did not go for the DCT. Kind of wish I did. Really have an eye on the 2017 AT DCT. Just have to get rid of 2 other bikes to make room for it. Welcome fellow PNW rider.

Back