• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X First Impressions

wheelwatcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong forum, as I'm fairly new here. Got my NC700X just a few weeks ago and though that's not enough time to say I know it completely, here are some initial comparisons I can make with it and my other bike, a 2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 and other bikes I've ridden. For reference, keep in mind that I'm 44, slender, tallish (mostly legs, short torso) and approximately 175 pounds.

Both bikes like to short shifted, that is to be shifted while the engine is still spinning fairly slowly, compared with many other bikes that beg to be revved higher between shifts, lest the engine protest with a stumble, grumble, falter, shudder. A BMW 1200GS is a good example of the other side of the spectrum where hi revs between shifting makes the engine happy and smooth-running. Between the V-Strom and the NC it's a close call. I'd say the V-Strom is even better at running smoothly at lower rpms, compared with the NC, and that helps a lot when you are crawling along on the freeway in heavy traffic or negotiating a parking lot and I suppose it would be an asset too while off-roading where the obstacles are galore and slow riding is often the best way to be safe. But I'm talking mostly about low-speed riding in first or second gear, when the V-Strom has the upper hand. The NC seems unhappy to go below 2000 rpm without some stumble and surging. I'm guessing that's the restrictive engine mapping mandated by our EPA and am curious how much improvement could be made with a Power Commander which my V-Strom already has. The NC, on the other hand, excels when low rpm short shifting is desired to maximize efficiency and thus fuel mileage. So, low-rpm riding in a particular gear is easier with the V-Strom, but low-rpm shifting is better with the NC700X. At least how I see them so far. I used to have a Yamaha FZ6R, and that was the most flexible and smooth-running motor I've ever experienced. Almost like an electric motor.

The NC is very composed during sudden, hard braking. It doesn't pitch forward like many other bikes. I hate the rear shock going over rough, uneven pavement, but just for the sake of emergency braking, the forks and brakes do very well. I'm looking forward to seeing how removing some preload from the rear shock (don't ask Honda for help, right?) might make the ride less harsh. I've read others complaining more about the forks than the rear shock, but so far it's the rear suspension I find most bothersome. I think how the rear shock was set up by the dealer could influence how well it would behave for a particular rider, another factor with how the shock behaves.

Great ergonomics for the rider, but little space for the passenger feet if either person has large shoes. If I had to take a passenger, especially a large male, I would much prefer to take the V-Strom, as we aren't competing for foot room like on the NC.

I haven't had a chance to take a smaller person on the back of the NC yet, but I can say I really like the seat. I've got the kind with the texture vinyl, and it seems to support more of my behind than the one on the V-Strom, which, although it looks larger, and presumably more comfortable, puts more pressure on my groin and has me teetering back and forth between my left and right buttock. I'm really uncomfortable on the V-Strom seat for much more than an hour, but so far I'm digging the NC seat, although it is a bit low for me (I'm 5'11 and all legs) and I think would be better if it was flatter and not slope downwards into the tank. The textured surface helps as well as the firmness of the foam underneath.

Spatially, I really like the position of my arms, torso and butt on the NC, although I do find myself wanting to slide forward into the tank and the position of the footpegs makes it hard for me to hold myself back. Greater seat height might help.

I got a good workout (a massage please!) installing Hepco & Becker side racks along with Pelican 35L side cases. Yes, it's wider than I'd like (with still some wasted space between rack and bike, and I can tell the difference when there is a head or side wind, but I think the added convenience of storage space outweighs the loss of aerodynamics. Great thing about this set up from Caribou Cases (who I believe devised the connecting latch between the rack and the cases and drilled the cases to work with those H&B racks) is that it's extremely strong and stiff. There's hardly any play when you try to move the affixed cases. Besides storage capacity, you get added protection to the bike in the case of a tip-over as the stout cases and racks will absorb much of the impact. The really appear to be sturdy! I hope the H&B belly pan and engine guards that I have on order are as impressive.

Overall, I really like it. It would be even nicer if it had a better rear shock, a little more boot space to share with a passenger and ran a bit smoother at slower speeds. I think two of those three issues can be remedied, but only after some more money is spent. It's going to be a while.

It's a great commute bike for going the speed limit without a lot of weight. While it's short on horse power, it really hustles and it's easy to stay in it's powerband without revving it up high. No complaints with acceleration, even with a passenger, but I think it would be taxed with a lot of cargo, which I'm now able to carry, at speeds over 65mph or on windy roads at high speed. It seems even spunkier than the V-Strom and I really like it's bubbly engine. Plus, I got 68 mpg on my first tank and that included slower stop-and-go city driving as well as 60mph highway jaunts with some gridlock. Steady speeds at low (close to 2K) rpm really pays off with fuel economy with this bike.

Well, that's more than enough ranting for this late of night before any response/reply from you folks. Hope it motivates you to share your experience with this exceptional motorcycle. Ride safely and with gusto!

Last edited:
I'd say the V-Strom is even better at running smoothly at lower rpms, compared with the NC, and that helps a lot when you are crawling along on the freeway in heavy traffic or negotiating a parking lot and I suppose it would be an asset too while off-roading where the obstacles are galore and slow riding is often the best way to be safe.

I would strongly advice to re-evaluate this statement as my experience was completely opposite while testing v-strom 650 xt. From all other bikes I have tested only F800GS had similar nice torque at low revs like nc750x.

Great report!

I think you'll find the NC700 engine really smooth's out after 600 miles. Mine certainly did. My bike is happiest above 2000 rpm but doesn't protest too much at 1500 rpm.

If you need more leg room consider adjustable pegs.

I think lots people mistake how the nc behaves at low rpm s with its built in `character`270 deg crank..that rumble is a design feature !!

exactly, it's a diesel character and unfortunately v-strom has nothing like that. At low revs you can stall it pretty easily.

I would strongly advice to re-evaluate this statement as my experience was completely opposite while testing v-strom 650 xt. From all other bikes I have tested only F800GS had similar nice torque at low revs like nc750x.

I second that, as I owned a 2010 650 Vstrom previously. I had the complete opposite experience with low speed/rpm not being as smooth as the NC. Maybe he meant to say the opposite and had a brain fart. There is some rumble by design but it is the smoothest bikes I've ever ridden. I don't think anyone with carpel tunnel or hand problems would be bothered at all. Also my Vstrom was NOT as happy short shifting as the NC. The engine has no gusto when cruising at low rpm, where the NC has tons of torque. I had to use high rpm's to find the Vstrom's power, where the NC has it on tap always. I never redline my bikes because I don't ride that way, and I never used the extra power the Vstrom had. With the NC I use all its power because it resides in the rpm range I ride at: the real world.

I think you'll like the NC more and more with each ride! I'd love to see pics of your bike!

Maybe it's the Power Commander that allowed the V-Strom to operate so smoothly (not at 3k rpm, though!) at low rpms. The NC seems to keep surging when I hold steady throttle at near or below 2k rpm. I found the PC to be a big help with the Strom and greatly improved it's engine behavior, which was not nearly as smooth when I bought it.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the NC and it' my main ride currently. But I do wish it would be smoother at low rpms. Maybe, as CB4ME said, it will smooth out with time. Yes, kharli, I reallly like the rumble, but it's the stumble and the surging I'm talking about. Bike does have a lot of character and is very comfy!

Maybe it's the Power Commander that allowed the V-Strom to operate so smoothly (not at 3k rpm, though!) at low rpms. The NC seems to keep surging when I hold steady throttle at near or below 2k rpm. I found the PC to be a big help with the Strom and greatly improved it's engine behavior, which was not nearly as smooth when I bought it.

Don't get me wrong. I really like the NC and it' my main ride currently. But I do wish it would be smoother at low rpms. Maybe, as CB4ME said, it will smooth out with time. Yes, kharli, I reallly like the rumble, but it's the stumble and the surging I'm talking about. Bike does have a lot of character and is very comfy!

Unfortunately not all bikes are the same, even identical models one after the other, on the assembly line.

You have no fault if your NC has a bit of twitchiness down low at micro throttle openings, and some other guy's doesn't, my friend. :) Don't let anyone tell you such black and white does or does not when comparing bikes that you have owned and ridden, versus theirs.

It could just be one of those luck of the draw, stacking of tolerance things. Injector +/- is .00006 instead of .00002, throttle barrel free play is 10mm instead of 5mm, intake valves all happen to be on the tight side of the spec, etc., etc.

My NC did a completely bizarre surging harmonic thing at exactly 3000 rpm* steady throttle for the first 1,000 km's or so, but the kicker was, it was only 6th gear! Not any other, and it was smooth as silk in first gear with no hand on the throttle. I can idle all day long at 1,300 rpm in first, with no throttle input. I specifically tested this trait, as coming from my BMW F800ST, it was like some hideous bucking bronco of a thing, that would constantly stall out and hack and cough and spit in first gear low rpm. I did not want a bike that did that! :eek:

My buddy with a much lauded Super Tenere (awesome bike), is having trouble with his beast as well, with surging and poor throttle response. He is going to be getting a PC too, to try and help.

*edit- corrected the rpm number

Last edited:
I wonder if part of what you are feeling is the jerkiness that can happen in the transition from no throttle to a little throttle. Tightening the play in the throttle cable smoothed mine out.

Put me in the camp with no surging problems on my NC. If I could only change one thing about the NC it would be to give it an extra 1500-2000 RPM without any torque drop off. I love the creamy torque the NC puts out, it just ends a little too early for me but I have adjusted to it. A guy can still dream.......welcome to the asylum as well.

I wonder if part of what you are feeling is the jerkiness that can happen in the transition from no throttle to a little throttle. Tightening the play in the throttle cable smoothed mine out.

Mine did this too when new. I've ridden for MANY years, and eventually figured I was slightly bumping the throttle, which made the surging feel. Bike good, rider...not so.

Thanks banamate! I'll have the shop check the throttle cable play when it goes in for its first service.

Great and very fair review, wheelwatcher. I agree with your assessment on the rear shock. I have recently upgraded the forks, which in turn, expose the weakness of the rear shock even more. With high speed compression, the forks would absorb the bump while I would feel a huge thump from the rear shock. Not good.

My NC is smooth all the way down to about just under 2000 rpm and in 3rd gear on flats I do it every day as a part of my commute because the speed limit is only 30 mph in one section. Actually I rode up almost the entire way up pikes pikes peak on my foot pegs in 3rd gear going 20-35 mph never shifting Just a fantastic bike for the money imo.

Unfortunately not all bikes are the same, even identical models one after the other, on the assembly line.

are you saying honda is unable to make 2 identical motorcycles ? :p
I will never, ever buy a bike from triumph then, too much of the lottery if honda, yamaha cannot keep standards
other brands have to be horrible.

Ok my passenger is a 6'7" fifteen year old male who really needs to learn how to drive. We put the extender footpegs on for him and he rides fine. Right now going ahead and putting on the toprack and looking at the seatback that is used on some of the BMW GS series that bolt on to give him some sort of backstop. I will not tour with him for long distances as it can get uncomfortable but he can tool comfortably for shorter trip through the parish for fun. Did have issues with his massive feet but he makes sure to give me room to move mine.

Back