• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X vs CTX700N

2014_NC700XDCTABS_2000x1275_Black_42515B.jpg

2014_CTX700NDCTABS_2000x1275_Black_42515B.jpg

The same bike with different seat/foot positions. I know a lot of people dismiss the CTX because it's not very attractive (with the fairing, I think the naked version looks alright), has forward foot pegs, and doesn't have the NC700's storage.

My question is, are there any redeeming qualities to the CTX700N? Or does it really just come down to the forward pegs/lower seat? What is the forward peg position even good for anyway? With my limited knowledge/experience, it doesn't seem like it'd be any more comfortable than the standard peg position.

I do have to admit thoough, I almost like the N better than the X style wise (I'm not a fan of the adventure beak and all the dull/matte plastic in the frunk area). I wish the US had the NC700S available. :(

Well I must admit I much prefer the looks of my S to my old X. When I go into my garage I always stop and have a quick look at my bike and sometimes even pat the seat. I never did that with my old X.

The X is better 2-up though as you have more space. Whereas with the S you feel more cramped with 2 on board.
Though I suppose my 13 year old son being 6'2 with huge feet doesn't help either.....lol :D

Last edited:
You have to exercise to ride a sport (or 'sporty') bike. Seriously, you have to do lots of core exercises (both stomach _and_ back; the whole core), and you HAVE to remember to not lean on your wrists. I don't find a moderate sport bike position terribly uncomfortable, except that I don't like having my knees bent so tightly for a long time. That's really my only issue with it, and honestly that an issue with the NCX since it's built by the Japanese, for Japanese-sized folks. ;)

You have to exercise to ride a sport (or 'sporty') bike. Seriously, you have to do lots of core exercises (both stomach _and_ back; the whole core), and you HAVE to remember to not lean on your wrists. I don't find a moderate sport bike position terribly uncomfortable, except that I don't like having my knees bent so tightly for a long time. That's really my only issue with it, and honestly that an issue with the NCX since it's built by the Japanese, for Japanese-sized folks. ;)

I can't take the sports bike riding position these days with your arse up in the air. I really believe the sports bike riding position has become more radical (even more tucked up position) in recent years compared to the late 80s to early 90s. Some people love it though. My mate with his R1 who's also in his 50s.

As a guy surrounded by well over a hundred million Japanese folks and who rides with not quite that many, most Japanese consider the bike somewhere between large and humongous. They certainly don't think it was built with the size of the average Japanese rider in mind. Seat height is an issue. None of the guys I ride with have even asked to sit on mine. When I have offered them to try it, none have taken me up on it. The only Japanese guy I know who wants to sit on my X is my eight year old neighbor, and he can't reach the pegs.

Yes, risers/clip ons will help posture. I've always found lots of wind on a sport bike, but not much buffeting - just steady wind that increases with speed. I rather liked that as opposed to leaning down, the wind provides a little lift on the chest and takes more pressure off wrists - along with higher bars.

A good example for comparison - look at a new Ninja ZX10 versus the Ninja 1000.

Hence my reason for posting ;-)

VFR1200 DCT for less $$ than a DCT 700 Honda: 2010 Honda Vfr 1200f Dct, CHEATERLAND OH - 112476262 - Cycletrader.com

Your post actually sparked my interest. Here's the conversation I had with the seller:

Me said:
Do you have any pictures of the bike?
Him said:
NO PICTURES JUST USE A STOCK ONE OFF THE INTERNET
Me said:
If I called and set it up for you, would you be willing to take it to a local mechanic to have it inspected and have pictures taken?
Him said:
WHAT NEEDS INSPECTED I JUST RODE IT FOR 6 HOURS TODAY IT RUNS GREAT

I have a feeling there might be something sketchy going on there, as if the fact he listed it as "CHEATERLAND, OH" (when it's actually "Chesterland, OH") wasn't enough... lol.

I can't take the sports bike riding position these days with your arse up in the air. I really believe the sports bike riding position has become more radical (even more tucked up position) in recent years compared to the late 80s to early 90s. Some people love it though. My mate with his R1 who's also in his 50s.

Starting in 1986 to recently I've rode nothing but sport bikes. I honestly can't even think back that far as to recall how far forward I was leaning in compassion to last year when I traded in my CBR. You may be right. The lean may have increased but since it was all I rode I did not know any better and did not notice the slight change. I still find myself leaning forward on the NCX when taking corners at a high speed. Just feels natural to put my head out in front of me.

am in the process in purchasing either bike, still deciding, and going thu the pro and cons of each
the CTX has cheaper insurance then the NC. by like $200 bucks a year!
i hate the foward pegs on the CTX, love the seat height
i love the storage on NC700, like the foot peg position, so so on seat height ( which can be lowered anyway )
more accessories and aftermarket stuff avail for the NC ( so far )

am in the process in purchasing either bike, still deciding, and going thu the pro and cons of each
the CTX has cheaper insurance then the NC. by like $200 bucks a year!
i hate the foward pegs on the CTX, love the seat height
i love the storage on NC700, like the foot peg position, so so on seat height ( which can be lowered anyway )
more accessories and aftermarket stuff avail for the NC ( so far )

Sounds like you're in about the same spot as me. The NC700S would be perfect due to it having near the same foot peg position with lower seat height but alas Honda doesn't want our money :(. The VFR1200F intrigues me but unless I can snag one for 8k or less I'm not going to bother (especially since insurance would be higher and MPG isn't as great).

Sounds like you're in about the same spot as me. The NC700S would be perfect due to it having near the same foot peg position with lower seat height but alas Honda doesn't want our money :(. The VFR1200F intrigues me but unless I can snag one for 8k or less I'm not going to bother (especially since insurance would be higher and MPG isn't as great).

the VRF insurance most like be more due to the 1200 cc. mpg sucks, heavy, expensive, and i think it requires 91 octane. but it does have a shaft drive, so i have taken the VRF out of my equation

the VRF insurance most like be more due to the 1200 cc. mpg sucks, heavy, expensive, and i think it requires 91 octane. but it does have a shaft drive, so i have taken the VRF out of my equation

Our insurance costs in BC are based on engine size for motorcycles, so a 1200cc costs a lot more than a smaller displacement. (my CBR125R is $24.00/month, my 700X is $105.00/month. Over 1150cc is brutal...)

Oh, and you have to pay extra, like waaaay more, above and beyond the basic mandatory level, if you want fire/theft/comprehensive etc. $4,000.00 a year could easily be surpassed.

Add in premium fuel at at least $6.24 a US gallon? Ugh.

Our insurance costs in BC are based on engine size for motorcycles, so a 1200cc costs a lot more than a smaller displacement. (my CBR125R is $24.00/month, my 700X is $105.00/month. Over 1150cc is brutal...)

Oh, and you have to pay extra, like waaaay more, above and beyond the basic mandatory level, if you want fire/theft/comprehensive etc. $4,000.00 a year could easily be surpassed.

Add in premium fuel at at least $6.24 a US gallon? Ugh.

in the US is more the type of motorcycle, the CTX is cheaper even tho is the same engine, the my scooter was the cheapest, only 250 for the whole year, fully covered even my gears.
suzuki burgman seem to be a pretty good deal in the long run,

Any new opinions on this topic?

The NC X has 1.2" of front travel and 1.6" of rear travel more than the CTX and the CTX N. Is it a big deal? I'd be mainly street and highway driving, but would like to trek down a dirt road road or trail to a fishing hole without tearing up the bike. I did that on the Suzuki C50, and scraped the bottom and flexed the rear fender. Yeah. Big mutton chop fenders on low cruisers are not for goat paths.

The CTX and CTX N don't have a frunk. I wonder why not. They don't get any more fuel tank capacity.

Does the CTX N accept the same paniers as the others? The "Build Your Bike" option on Honda's site lists the same part number for paniers on all bikes.

What about rear grab bars for a passenger? Pictures on the Honda site look like the mounting points are there, just covered by plastic plugs.

I haven't sat on any of them, but am used to, and like, my feet out front. That's a plus for the CTX and CTX N, to me.

The NC X seat height is 4.4" higher than the CTX and CTX N. I'm 5'8" and like to be able to put my feet flat. I'd at least want to have the full balls of my feet flat. Tippy-toe is straight out.

Is it easy to make the CTX N more naked by taking off the plastic in the front? Does it bolt right back on?

The NC X seems the popular choice on this board. Any CTX or CTX N riders wanna chime in?

Thanks,
Bines

Bines,
This forum is titled NC700-forum. That's why the CTX is rarely discussed here. There is a sister forum for the CTX: http://www.ctx700-forum.com/forum/cmps_index.php

As for the loss of the frunk, well, the fuel is under the seat on the NC700X. The CTX has a lower seat, as you stated. So the fuel needed to go somewhere. It went forward, so the frunk was lost. There is a little bitty frunk on the CTX, but it's about large enough for a pair of gloves.

For off road worthiness, another consideration is not just the suspension travel, but the ground clearance under the machine.

I'm 5'8" with 32" inseam, and I flat foot a stock NC700X easily.

Gotchya! I missed that about where the gas goes on the CTX. Going cross eyed looking online at bikes lately.

5'8" and flat footing, huh? Man, I'll just buy all the bikes. That'll make it easy. :p

Back