• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x VS Mana GT 850?

motocommuter

Reaction score
Visit site
Why hasn't the Honda NC700x been compared (professionally) to the Aprilia Mana GT 850? I am literally scratching my head as I type (very talented I know). The Mana is closer to what the Honda is than any other bike it's been compared to. The Mana has a frunk, rear fuel tank, same rider positioning, smaller style fairing, and automatic transmission (different styles I know). There are some differences. A DCT tranny with ABS for the Honda is 8500. A CVT with ABS (only style) comes in at just under 11000 for the Mana. The Honda gets better fuel economy, but the Aprilia motor is quicker and more motorcycle like. The Aprilia also has better suspension, and multiple engine map settings. They are also both chain drive bikes with street tires. The Mana also came out earlier. I did not even know this bike existed when I bought my NC, otherwise I probably would have ended up with the Aprilia. What do you guys think? I have read that the fit-n-finish is awesome on the Aprilia, much like the Honda. How are the Italian bikes long term? Head still being scratched!

Looks like mpg can't break 50 according to Fuelly. I don't think it is an economy bike for upfront cost or running costs.

The Mana was mentioned in some of the initial reviews of the NC700. It's V twin motor vibrated a bit and the mileage and power was not comparable to other bikes in this displacement range. I think the biggest thing Honda did that Aprilia could not is promise a reputation of reliability with ease of ownership and when service is required a world class parts and service network. Honda also positioned the NC bikes in the market as fuel efficient from the outset so the low power output and high mileage went hand in hand. Piaggio has had a problem with keeping dealers during the past few years. Any dealer that wants Aprilia has to also carry Vespa, Piaggo scooters, and Moto Guzzi and floor plan every model. With the recession killing sales it nearly wiped out their dealer network. We have had three dealers in 5 years. My opinion but I think anyone that likes Honda's brand image views Italian brands like Aprilia as nice but not to be trusted to be there when needed.

I thought I read a couple months ago the Mana was dropped from Aprilia's line up but it is still listed on the USA website.

I guess I would opt for the ubiquity of the Honda NC over the esoteric nature of the Aprilia Mana. Unless you live in close proximity to a larger city, dealers are hard to find. Locally we have Honda, Yamaha and Harley and that's it. The Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer closed out this winter.

A DCT tranny with ABS for the Honda is 8500. A CVT with ABS (only style) comes in at just under 11000 for the Mana. The Honda gets better fuel economy, but the Aprilia motor is quicker and more motorcycle like.

"CVT and more motorcycle like"................does not compute

Never had an Aprilia. Had an Alfa Romeo, though. Super fun to drive. Complete piece of junk, mechanically, and very expensive parts and service (as well as scarce). There's no compelling reason, to me, to contemplate repeating that ownership experience.

Never had an Aprilia. Had an Alfa Romeo, though. Super fun to drive. Complete piece of junk, mechanically, and very expensive parts and service (as well as scarce). There's no compelling reason, to me, to contemplate repeating that ownership experience.

Hah! In my youth i owned a couple of Lancias (one before the Fiat takeover), and regretfully owned an Alfa Romeo 33 4wd wagon back in the late 80's. it was so unreliable that the dealership took the car back 6 months later at close to my cost, and that was in Australia where there were no lemon laws. Engine cutting out at highway speeds, potential vehicle fires, you name it.. And I was an Alfa 'lover', and had lusted after the Alfa 1300 and 1600 GT Juniors.. But.. There's no way I'd buy into another marginal Italian manufacturer's half-assed dealership network at this stage, not when the big guys offer so much more. I'd maybe look at a Ducati, but I even have dealership concerns where they're concerned.

Much like my 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder. Loads of fun to drive, transmission like silk, comfy, cute, but no one worked on them. No tears were shed when a big truck decided to run over it while it was parked in a side street at work.

Much like my 1970 Fiat 124 Spyder. Loads of fun to drive, transmission like silk, comfy, cute, but no one worked on them. No tears were shed when a big truck decided to run over it while it was parked in a side street at work.

The only people I could find in London who could work on my Lancias was at a small independent service shop that specialized in servicing Fiats. It was depressingly expensive and inconvenient. Driving my Lancia Beta Coupe back from Spain to England one year I broke down on the Autostrada with a multitude of oil leaks and breached gaskets. I limped off at the first exit, turned right to the nearest village and happened upon the biggest Lancia service center in the whole of SW France, so all was well, for the time being. Got me home anyway. 6 months later I came to my senses and traded it in on a Mk1 Golf GTI.

I have owned a few Moto Guzzi' over the past 10 years. I have an '04 California now. As for the Mana, I took a 150 mile test ride on one a couple of years ago. Nice bike, but I was far from impressed. It has been awhile, so I don't remember all of the comparison points. I do remember that the Mana was a bit "buzzier" with some vibration through the handgrips that I found objectionable. Ironically, it felt less powerful than the NC700 in normal riding, but this was probably due to the very different power curves of both bikes. At higher revs the Mana showed its power advantage. I never considered the Mana, though there were leftovers last year for around $7K. I would have seriously considered a small block Guzzi if one had been available in an adventure style, a baby Stelvio if you will, but alas no. But after less than a week, I have really bonded with my Honda.

"CVT and more motorcycle like"................does not compute

{Please re-read my original post. Never said the CVT was more motorcycle like, just that v-twin sitting under the frunk! You must do editing work for a news channel based on what you wrote versus what I actually said. Besides, a lot of people said Honda's DCT was not motorcycle enough as well. A lot of those same people (magazine first look vs first ride) are still eating their words! As always though, to each his own.

Isn't this kind of like saying that you had a P.O.S. Harley, so you'll never try a Chevy or Ford? If you had used a Ducati for comparison, it would have made a lot more sense! Anyways, I am just giving you a hard time so don't take it personally. I definitely get the parts and service issues. I tried looking for parts and service near San Jose, and both are hard to find. That seems odd to me, because San Jose is so big. So then I tried looking for parts online, and even that was a pain in the rear. Also, the CVT belt is a Kevlar style. WTF? All modern cars with CVT's use a lubricated metal chain that last for a very long time. The Mana needs its belt changed around 15K depending on where you look. That is too often for me. The belts look a little expensive too! It seems to me that if I was going to try and sell people on a motorcycle with a CVT, I'd use the best CVT technology available. With all that said, the Mana still shares more of the same features as our beloved NC than any other motorcycle out. So....I stand by my original thought. These two should have an up to date shoot out with both auto/abs models.

{Please re-read my original post. Never said the CVT was more motorcycle like, just that v-twin sitting under the frunk! You must do editing work for a news channel based on what you wrote versus what I actually said. Besides, a lot of people said Honda's DCT was not motorcycle enough as well. A lot of those same people (magazine first look vs first ride) are still eating their words! As always though, to each his own.

LOL! After re-reading this post, it sounds like I am being a stuck up jerk. I did not write with that mind set! Just trying to have a little fun and keep the conversation going. Sorry bought that!

Ducati and Moto Guzzis are at least good looking, Aprilla?
Hmm.

Here in Switzerland, there is almost no one riding Aprilla unless it is a pocket rocket or a special edition.
TBH, not many will also buy the NC700X. I have been the butt of many jokes amongst bikers here (most of them from UK), commenting how can a person choose a bike with the fuel economy as a parameter (I did not say it, they did).

So no Aprillas on the road. I have never seen one. Only in shops (obscured ones).

Back