• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X VS Versys

I was set on getting a Versys until the NC was announced. As a daily commuter, it's got a lot going for it, just not as much as the NC does.

Just one major issue that will put off buyers from the Versys - Kawasaki do not recommend a top box carrier or box installed and if you do they say your warranty on certain mechanical issue is void! Was about to put down a deposit before the NC came out until i checked what top box options were available. Pretty pants in my opinion if you are advertising this as a tourer.

Just one major issue that will put off buyers from the Versys - Kawasaki do not recommend a top box carrier or box installed and if you do they say your warranty on certain mechanical issue is void! Was about to put down a deposit before the NC came out until i checked what top box options were available. Pretty pants in my opinion if you are advertising this as a tourer.

Another issue:
Versys cost at least 25% more.
Box or no box...
:p

I am scheduled to demo a 2013 Versys for Friday 1/18/13. "Why you might ask"? Because I can!

Last edited:
Another issue:
Versys cost at least 25% more.
Box or no box...
:p

13% here in the states. Seems to be another confirmation of what we've been saying all along: if you're willing to give up some top end performance, the NC is a great bike.

Last edited:
Good review -- they draw the same conclusion as the other mags I've read comparing the Versys and NC. The Versys has a more entertaining chassis and motor at the expense of comfort, vibration, and MPG. Different strokes for different folks.

The most interesting thing to me was the dyno overlay with the Scrambler. I've been wondering how the NC compares to the Triumph twin, but this is the first I've seen a direct comparison -- pretty similar.

trey

There is a dealer here in FL that has a 2011 Red Versys left over listed for $5,790.

That's where the Versys makes up for its higher MSRP - it's been around longer so you can find good deals on leftovers and lightly used units.

I used to have a Versys before the NC700X and sold it to my pal. a couple of months ago we swapped bikes on a ride though the North Yorks moors and this is what my pal thought of the NC700 in relation to his Versys:
had a decent ride on Mikes NC700 yesterday (auto version) got to say i liked it, (Mike thought i would hate it cos i'm a hooligan )
again, like the Versys, its a surprise how useful 55hp is, i personally like the height, a low seat and it would be spot on for me, its a bit harder to compare because its an automatic, however that side of it works perfectly, totally smooth up and down the box, and paddles to play with for overide, i didnt have time to get used to all the features it offers, but was really easy to get used to, power is not as instant as the V, but not far away, its surefooted, capable, handles pretty neutral, and gives confident feedback, within 10 minutes i could start to hustle it a bit, longer wheelbase gives a slightly slower turn in than the V, which i personally liked, overall, handling wise, its pretty close to the Versys, its a trade off really, its a plusher ride, but not quite as reassuring as the V if hustling a bit, but just as forgiving and unfussy.

performance is about 80% of the Versys, on twisty B roads theres not a lot in it really, i certainly didnt feel dissapointed most of the time, although Mike plays it down, he's a fast rider on B roads, smooth and precise, and when he's hustling the NC its fast enough to keep the Versys on its toes easily, we were coming back from Helmsley in the dark @4 degs, shitty damp roads, pushing a bit, but the NC handled it just as easy as the V , so again, its just a trade off, the V is 20% more sporty and manic if thats what you like.but bearing in mind here we are talking about low hp bikes relative to the rest.....you'd still be a pretty mild hooligan on a Versys by comparison

The NC brakes are better than the V, for a single disc (3 pot mind) they are stronger and more sensitive , at the speeds we were doing i couldnt fault them, i'll hold back full judgement on the single disc untill ive tried 20 hard 100mph slow downs on a twisty B road, but for the purposes of the NC probably perfect, although on the whole i like the V brakes, i like their unfussyness and the need for a hard pull at the lever., so while twin discs may not be absolutely needed on the Versys, 1 is maybe not quite enough, the extra 20% power and sportiness of the V probably warrants the extra disc though, and at the end of the day has to reduce fade at the more extreme end of things, so while not a huge argument, and i'd agree, 2 discs are not always needed, i'd rather have 2 (carrying a pillion will probably settle it anyway )

so i'd say if you were more at the cruiser end of the spectrum of V riders,(and value mpg more) youd love the NC, at the other end of the spectrum, you'd take the Versys....i like the 20% extra manic-ness of the Versys,......however, give the NC another 10 hp and i could toss a coin for either.
bearing in mind, you can still tour quite easily on the Versys, it still does quite well all the things the NC does, and after 6 years its still a pretty good package, we did 220 miles and the V was just on flashy, so no slouch on the mpg side either,
although Mike primarily wanted to try the auto version, so its a different issue, but the mpg saving on a std NC wouldnt be (for me) a good reason to buy one over the Versys, to lose what the V has for , say, 15mpg just doesn't add up, although the V is more sporty, you can ride it sedately if you want, whereas you cant add the sportiness to the NC. however if Honda give the NC 10 more hp, Kawasaki will lose out...no doubt about it, i suspect they will be looking at a replacement for the Transalp using the NC engine with a bit more poke.

the Versys vibes are more harsh and intrusive,.... the NC, while it certainly has vibes, is not as intrusive (partly due to crank configuration) so it feels really smooth, just makes the V seem a bit crude.

so, on the whole.....although i wouldnt mind if the Versys was a bit less manic, i dont think the NC is the answer (bearing in mind Mike wanted the auto) while the thrifty commuter angle is attractive to some.....it doesnt move the whole genre forward in any meaningfull way as far as i can see, somehow the whole package needs to evolve a tad more (given Mikes thoughts at the end of his reverse view :008:in his post) if i had £3k-6k to spend, i'd still probably go for another Versys,
if less is to become more, which i suspect is part of Honda's aim (and, lets not forget, which the Versys originally did so well) Honda will have to be a bit cleverer than the NC imho

and last of all......the 1st thing i noticed getting on a naked (well, low screen) bike was the noise and wind blast......i was shocked, made me realise how good my setup is, while i was in clean air with no buffeting, i couldnt go back to suffering wind blast like that, now i know why people wear earplugs (you poor things ) my helmet is easy 75% quieter behind my screen.....i couldnt believe the racket (even in clean air) my helmet made, the difference was astonishing, so , if you dont want tinnitus...sort your helmet/screen situation out 1st because you dont know what you are missing, although it cost me 3 helmets and 3 screens, to get mine as it is, it was well worth it, i have hardly no wind blast or noise, but just enough to feel not isolated from an "on the bike feel" my behind screen environment is fairly calm compared to that situation

and this is my reply that Wal refers to. (Plenty of other comparisons on the versys.co.uk site by the way.

Good write-up Wal.
The NC has only 51 bhp by the way, but to me it still feels like more than a 13bhp gap between the two bikes.
Wal left me with his fuel light flashing but he'd done 226 miles by then and reckoned he'd still manage some more (mind you he has actually run out on a couple of recent occasions ). Even so I am well impressed with a 230 mile range given that we were cruising on dual carriageways at nearly 80 and caning the bikes round the twisties. I can only get 205 to 210 out of the NC when riding like that (ridden sedately I have had 83 mpg)
I was also impressed how crisp and together the Versys felt even after nearly 5 years and 24 thousand miles.
Mike

I'm with you bigjeff. A fair assessment, but many assume that all we're after in a mid-sized bike is power/speed.
Frankly, the NC700X (which I will refer to the NC1701X :eek:) has plenty of power for my needs, especially if you don't go looking for it beyond 5500RPM. The smoothness and refined approach to cruising as well as the excellent economy of the bike meets all of my needs. You can have the extra 10% sportiness on the Versys. I won't win any races (except against cagers), but I sure do enjoy the heck out of the ride.

I do agree though that the stock windshield leaves a LOT to be desired. I hope the touring shield I have on order from Honda makes the wind and noise better.

I should emphasise that all the Versys forum users spend just as much time discussing how to stop windblast and noise. Wal (who wrote the review) happens to have got his sorted - he is 5'8" and has mounted the vario screen 2"higher than it is supposed to go, As such the airflow hits just the top of his helmet and he has taped up the top vents so he doesn't get noise from them. And I can testify that on shitty winter days he can ride for hours without any muck landing on his visor. But his solution will not work for anyone taller, and even then our aftermarket screens don't include the MRA vario do they?
Mike

I tried the 2008 Versys, a used one that had a Laminar lip windscreen. It felt tight to me in terms of the saddle and handlebar relationship. I'm 5' 7" but felt claustrophobic as I couldn't slide back on the seat to get comfortable. I'm happy with Sylvia after 4months.

My test ride today revealed that the Kawasaki Versys is an exceptional motorcycle, EXCEPT for the vibration coming from the most comfortable seat that I have sat on in a long time and from the fuel tank on the upper inside of the legs. The shifting was smooth and quiet. It was also nibble and quick but my vote goes to the Honda NC700X. The storage compartment is a big +. Don't ask me how many times I hit the horn instead of the turn signal cancellation switch. The horn button is at the bottom on the Versys.

Last edited:
I spent 3 years on the Versys and can say that - for me - the NC700X stock seat is better. I have ridden 400 miles in a day on the NC and thighs and gluteus were fine. That was not the case on the Versys even after 200 miles. You are dead right about the vibrations. When I got back on the Versys everything seemed to be shaking and vibrating, so much so I thought something was seriously wrong. After about 10 minutes riding I remembered that this is what it had always been like. Top marks to Honda for building a parallel twin that is so vibration-less
Mike

The seat was nice and plush, maybe I just did not spend enough time in the saddle. The demo ride was very short, about 6 miles.

Back