• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New acquisition, what would you choose?

I am not a BMW fan at all, but I tried one of them over a year ago to assess the suspension as so called state of the art equipment, prior to updating the suspension on my Triumph 1200 Explorer. I will say nothing for now but I will be interested to see your opinion.
AFAIK, only BMW riders who had the older version with fixed suspension can feel the difference the new Electronic Suspension makes.
Me?
The sports mode on yesterday's ride did firm up the damping but only slightly.

TBH, 1 test ride here and there cannot make any one, yours truly included, a true appraiser of these bikes.

Sent from my LG-D955 using Tapatalk

Happy, the reservoir is yellow. You'd have to lift out some fluid out in a syringe to know what color it is. Otherwise, I can't explain your reaction to it. I thought the suspension on mine was "just ok" so I replaced it with Wilber's ESA. But the power delivery and brakes are, in my view, superb. Out of breath at 5000 describes my NC, but the GS is coming alive there. Loud and shaky? Spongy brakes? We are describing different bikes. Maybe something was wrong with your example. This is a great intro for the BMW haters to dogpile on, but my ownership experience with the cam head R1200GS is completely satisfying. I am out on it now for a few days. Certainly not missing the NC in my garage or wishing I had spent $2000 more and was still waiting on an AT to arrive. Neither am I wishing I had spent double the amount for an LC BMW.

As far as bleeding the brakes, with the current generation of BMW ABS brakes, bleeding them is as simple as pumping fluid through them like the very first disk brakes. Good luck with the LC bike.

The reservoir is filled with a layer of speckled "fungus looking" things. I don't mean just the color. It should be clear but the see through of the reservoir is not clear. It is speckled (lack of a better word)

I also agree that the bike should come alive after 5000rpm but then it sort of constipated.

BMW haters will bite on anything. It is a great bike to others but maybe I am just too picky.

I will check out the LC model which excites me but i think my expectations could be too high.

I may end up just keeping the NC for 2 more years, etc.

I rode a new 2010 cam head for about 50 miles while the owner rode my ST1300. Owning a 30 year old boxer R100 at the time I thought BMW hadn't moved the goal posts much in 30 years. My own opinion was the thing had a clunky gearbox and it shook a lot under 5000 rpm and was breathless over 7500. When we stopped and switched back another rider with us who owned a 2005 RT came up and gushed "Isn't that cam head smooth?" I guess that makes me a hater but it also illustrates how differently different riders perceive the same experience.

Yeah I have a chip on my shoulder about BMW, I drove tow trucks for a couple years and I towed more BMWs then every other vehicle combined. Granted it was almost always something electrical or minor it was still a very expensive vehicle that left the owner stranded. I'll say that when they work the "ultimate driving machine" is a amazing piece of machinery, I prefer Mercedes for luxury cars I've gotten a chance to drive aggressively but I'm still a cheapskate that drives Ford and Honda. The BMW motorcycles have a better track record then the cars and SUVs but parts are still very expensive

Yeah I have a chip on my shoulder about BMW, I drove tow trucks for a couple years and I towed more BMWs then every other vehicle combined. Granted it was almost always something electrical or minor it was still a very expensive vehicle that left the owner stranded. I'll say that when they work the "ultimate driving machine" is a amazing piece of machinery, I prefer Mercedes for luxury cars I've gotten a chance to drive aggressively but I'm still a cheapskate that drives Ford and Honda. The BMW motorcycles have a better track record then the cars and SUVs but parts are still very expensive
Maybe it's a locality issue.
Over here, BMW parts are more modular and you can buy even just 1 nut or screw. Japanese parts are always in an assembly and you have to buy the whole (even mini) assembly to replace 1 bolt or nut.
The individual BMW parts are oftentimes cheaper than Japanese parts.
However, BMW service is more expensive but they follow exactly the labour points system where you can be sure of the costs. Japanese bike servicing is "free for all". The hourly charge is same for both shops.

I am not bashing any brand. Jus sharing the facts.
:)

All my life I never worried about labor cost, as I did all my own on both by autos and my motorcycles. Now that I have gotten into the twilight zone of my life I am sure that soon I will have to pay labor cost.

I have always found after market parts that are a lot cheaper for my vehicles than the factory parts. Example from this week: Honda original front wheel bearings and seals $31.00. The same parts at local Auto Zone cost me $16.00. Just have to know how to find the parts.

So, I know that in the near future when my vehicles have to go to a repair shop I will have to also pay more of the parts.

In the near future my old body parts, will cost me over twice the price in my vehicles repairs and parts. So, I looked for an answer to this cost issue. Now, I have started replaceing my old body parts. But remember, doctors are the third leading cause of death just behind heart attacks and cancer.

I test rode a Kawasaki Versys 650, a Yamaha fj09, and a BMW 800gs. All great bikes and similar to the nc700 in cc and weight.

Well, yes, of course. It depends on where you are standing. To a Hindu, all Christians look alike, but a Southern Baptist thinks there is a huge difference between him and an American Baptist.

If you have a Road King, those bikes look pretty similar.

Oh well, never ever try an AT or a GS.
After trying these 2, going back to the NC is just so....cannot bear to describe it.

Thing is: why am I just *****ing about it and not just buy one? Sorry, random rantings.

Still didn't try the LC GS yet. So much summer rain the last 2 weeks.

I don't know what to tell you other than get what makes you happy. You've been lusting over the BMW for a while. Go for it, if you think that's what you want. Life too short to worry about the what if's. When I bought the NC700X I thought I would be done, I'd ride that bike until the wheels fell off. 4yrs and 40,000 miles later. I'm wanting something more offroad worthy. After my Yosemite trip with a couple guys on 1200gs's and helping them pick up those gs's a few times I realized that wasn't the bike for me. Also, that although the NC700X fits me in many ways, the offroad capabilities of this bike do not. It can do what most people consider offroad, but what is offroad for them isn't the same as offroad for me I feel. I want something that can handle that better. So, although I thought I would never part with my trusty NC700X I find myself longing the Africa Twin. So, I'm going for it. I had put a deposit on it a while ago and although it wasn't supposed to be here until the end of August, it's here now. Unfortunately I'm right in the middle of selling my current home and buying another, so I have to wait one more week to seal the deal. Luckily my dealer is so far understanding and holding it for me since it arrived so early. Once my home is sold and the next one purchased I will take the dealer a check and have my AT, then I will sell my NC since my garage is not quite big enough for two bikes and two cars. If, you desire more than the NC, go for it. The Beemer is calling you!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yes. First I gotta find a buyer for the NC.
I think I detected clutch slippage today. It could have been my imagination or weak left hand after 3 hours of nonstop riding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Guys, it is real. There is a problem.
No power at neutral with clutch lever untouched.
Engine revs but feels like half clutch.
No white smoke.
No special grinding noise of broken timing chain.
I need to seek shop Mechanic. Darn.

Yesterday on the way to tennis, saw a tricolor AT on sale by a Honda shop. Getting home and finding the shop, it is a numbered AT with panniers thrown in. 1540km and at 14900chf.
Tempted?
Yes.

Yesterday on the way to tennis, saw a tricolor AT on sale by a Honda shop. Getting home and finding the shop, it is a numbered AT with panniers thrown in. 1540km and at 14900chf.
Tempted?
Yes.

Sounds like a good deal

Tempted?
Yes.

I wish we got the tri-color here in the states. Oh, well the silver is growing on me. So far I'm loving my A.T.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My NC is silver I'm interested in the Africa Twin so I would probably get silver again. it's ironic that we can't get the red white and blue color scheme I would much prefer that probably without the gold rims though

Back