• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New learning opportunity - I've got a flat!

First we must debate weather we should even trust a plugged tire or not.
Put a tube in if you can't afford a new tire, or if your tire is still in good shape.

I got a flat tire about 3 days after I bought my bike...lol I, like most people, were concerned with the cost of a new tire. When I took it to my local, trusted, repair shop, the man told me that he could not plug the tire. In fact, it was illegal for him to plug a motorcycle tire, and he could get a big fine for doing it.

I wasn't sure if he was correct or not; but it made sense to not plug a MC tire. You don't really have much to rely on if you loose one tire mid freeway...lol

He did, however, offer to put a tube in it. Especially since the tire was basically brand new. He put the tube in it, cut the original stem off, and put the tube stem through the old one's space. THe repair cost me $45 with parts and labor. About 6500 miles later, and it still rides like new...

:)

I have a plug in my back tire and still hit 95+mph with it every day. no worries. I would only plug a front tire to get me home or as a temporary fix. back tire is not as dangerous in my opinion.

I have a plug in my back tire and still hit 95+mph with it every day. no worries. I would only plug a front tire to get me home or as a temporary fix. back tire is not as dangerous in my opinion.

I totally agree with this sentiment. I have had lots of back tyre punctures over the years and have always plugged them. I think a plug in the rear tyre is only unsafe if one will be constantly travelling at very high speeds well over the legal limits. I have never had a puncture that I couldn't plug but of course they can happen if the offending object is big enough. Like GP06 I will never plug a front tyre. However I have fitted a tube to one. The only downside to putting a tube inside a tubeless tyre is a bit of extra heat in the tyre, with resulting quicker wear rates.

I have been riding for over 50 years and have plugged many MC tires (sport bikes and touring) with no problems! Why would you think a car tire is fine to plug but not a MC tire? If the plug doesn't work you will know when you inflate it. When the plug goes into the tire, it expands and the air pressure pushes this against the inner tire along with any glue you used. My last bike was my first cruiser with spoke wheels/tubes and my worst nightmare was a puncher! This would mean a tow truck if touring and a very big bill!! I always carry a plug kit and a couple of CO2 packs that will have me back on the road in 15 mins! Cheers from Halifax NS, Canada

Dog, I just realized this thread is over a year old. If you need to change tires again I have a Harbor Freight tire changer and will be happy to help you change them. I think you live pretty close to me.

Gummy Worms!

I'm 65 and have been riding for over 50 yrs. I have gummy wormed countless tubeless tires and ran them to the cords on occasion; not recommended by the way.
The key is that the hole be round and usually IS, from a nail. When a piece of jagged bone or gnarled 3" sheet metal screw (I've got both as souvenirs) leaves a torn, or not round hole, the tire is ruined.
I have the 2 hand tools, a razor blade, tire gauge and the worms in a small Crown Royal bag. And a mini compressor, w/o the plastic housing for compactness,w/long alligator clips for air.

A big advantage modern tubeless tires have over tube type tires is they will not lose air rapidly like a tube tire will when a leak develops, making them much safer and perfect for gummy worm repairs.
But running a tubeless tire to the chords invites the rapid air loss of a tube type tire when a leak develops..........w/a possible high side result.

You never get a front flat; always the rear. The front tire kicks up the intruder and is caught by the rear when it is 'stood' up.

Last edited:
I've 'temporary' plugged a couple of tyres and then run em for another few thousand miles.

Once I even used a splinter of wood and some super glue to get me home, that one I did repair once home, with another 'temporary' plug and then ran that too for many more miles.

I have a pr4 with 400 miles on it sitting in my basement with a temp plug in it.I didn't like the idea of running it so I got a new one.

I have a pr4 with 400 miles on it sitting in my basement with a temp plug in it.I didn't like the idea of running it so I got a new one.

ziggie, sent you a PM.

I had a similar experience to what you're going through. I had my bike only a few months and picked up a screw in the rear tire. I went to the local auto parts store and bought a gummy worm patch kit. Reamed out the hole like they said to and tried to get it to seal. It didn't do a perfect job at all. In the meantime, there had been a lot of posts on the subject of can I fix a leak, or replace the tire. Many of the most vocal riders said they wouldn't ride the bike further than the dealership to get a new tire.

Okay, so I bought a new tire. By the way, that Honda dealership will do an inside patch in the tread area of the tire. In my case, they wouldn't because of my reaming the hole out.

A few weeks pass by and I spot a small cotter pin in the tire. I pulled it out and unfortunately, it leaked. Not much, but it leaked. I couldn't face my wife to tell her I was going to buy another new tire so soon, so I put in some Slime. Sure enough, it sealed the leak.

I got three or four punctures in that tire before changing it out at 15,000 miles. One was a large nail. The nail was at the 3 o'clock position when I pulled it out and the air just went gushing out. I turned the tire to put it at the 6 o'clock position. A tablespoon or so of green liquid came out, then the air stopped. I left it like that while we went on vacation for a few days. When I came back, the tire had not lost any air. I rode another 4000 miles on the tire before changing it.

When I changed the tire finally, I asked to be there when the mechanic removed the tire. I wanted to see for myself if the stories were true about corrosion, etc. The mechanic made an exclamation about how big of a mess there was...but I think he had primed himself to say that knowing I was standing there. There was no mess. When you have it in for as long as I did (about 10 months), it forms a skin on the inside of the tread. There was no corrosion either.

Ride-On and Slime are supposed to be "temporary" repairs. I don't know if that's for the lawyers, or not. I do know what Slime has done for me. I also make a point of checking my tires frequently. So I don't ride blindly, like when people get in their cars and never check anything but the gas gauge.

As others have said, it is your decision on the comfort level. After being on the other forum for a few years, I also noticed that many who would never ever under any circumstances ride on a repaired tire...only rode 2-3 thousand miles a year. It's easy to rationalize a new tire every year when you get a flat. If you're commuting and putting on 15,000 miles a year, that would be several new tires a year. More than some pocketbooks can easily handle.

Chris

Similar story.. bought the NC700 and about a week later picked up a nail. Didn't want to hear it from the wife about buying a new tire right after I bought the bike. Anyway I slimed it and it held air. I then kind of forgot all about it until it was time for new tires (9000 miles and 10 months later). I took the tire off the bike and broke the bead to see what sort of mess awaited my mechanic. Turns out none. There was a green dried layer on the tire and nothing on the rim. So I was happy with the results

I have run plugged tires for extended 150 MPH blasts on my sport bikes and when a 3 inch lag bolt ripped a 3/4" hole in the Tiger's rear tire a couple of years ago the 5 plugs it took to hold air got me home no problem. Took the Tiger up to triple digits just to see of the bulk plug repair was solid. It was. Plugs work if you know how ti install them. The cord type, not the hard rubber type. I have seen too many of the rubber plugs fail. I ride over 25K miles a year so I see my fair share of punctures.

FWIW I have never gotten a puncture on any of my Bridgestones, even the sticky S20s. Michelins and Metzlers I get them all the time with Michelins being the worst. T30 Bridgestones seem particularly rugged.

KEB

Back