• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New member pondering 2015 or 2016

Hank

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a new rider at 60 years old. I have about 2k miles in. I have discovered I am very happy cruising along at a moderate pace enjoying the countryside, so I am not looking for a sport bike.

I am riding a drz 400 right now, and thinking of something bigger for longer rides. I like the longer wheelbase and low center of gravity of the NC700. It is windy where I live.

Other bikes considered: Versys 650, v strom 650, fj09, Vulcan 650 etc.

I see a 2015 dct model for sale for about $6500, which seems very reasonable.

As far as I can see the 2016 changes are pretty minor and probably not worth $1500, but I figured I would ask the experts.

Last edited:
After about 4 years NC700XD trade value are going to be very similar - about $3200-3500.
Get 2015!

If the styling difference doesn't matter to you, I don't see a lot of reason to spend the extra money on the '16. Mechanically, they're extremely similar.

FWIW, the V-strom, and the Versys, for that matter, do not have particularly low centers of gravity. Or in any case, they don't _feel_ like their COG is nearly as low as that of the NCX, to me.

I think the DCT w/ABS is a terrific choice!

It sounds like some of the accessories don't fit the 16 yet. Something to think about if your planning to add somthing like the Madstad windshield.

I don't think any of the changes warrant that much money. You'll be fine with the older model. Also, any of the other bikes you're looking at would fit your needs. They're all comfortable, capable, and reliable.

Last edited:
At age 60 and seeking your first larger bike, I believe the NC is a very good choice regardless of model. Probably a better choice than the others mentioned because of its lower centre of gravity. It has very useable power suitably placed in the rev range, and is extremely economical. I cannot advise on choice of year because I do not know about the changes relevant to the US. Does the new model have a better DCT ? Better seat ? Better suspension ? If so, those three items alone would point me at the 2016. If not, then the 2015 will be a good choice. The money saved could also go towards updating suspension and other bits.

One last bit of advice, keep your DRZ. They are becoming very sought after as top trail bikes. I had one prior to my KTM 690. I sincerely regret having parted with it now.

I believe there's some differences with the DCT. I think the 2015 has 'manual paddle shift', D (drive), and Sport modes where video reviews of the 2016 give it 'manual, D and three sport modes.

I do plan to keep my drz. It is fun to ride, has very precise steering, can go anywhere.
It is also very simple mechanically, so I can work on it.
Of the changes, really only the improved transmission seems like much of a change.

There is a dealer in Springfield, Missouri that had one for under 7k.
I think they have 2016 models as well.
The closest dealer has only non abs no dct models. I want abs, dct is no deal breaker either way.

The looks of the 15 vs the 16 would be a personal choice only you could decide. I prefer the muffler shape and silver wheels of the 16, but the body style of the 15 and prior.

The only functional difference that might have merit is the three DCT sport modes of the 16, as opposed to the one sport mode of the 15. I don't think that alone justifies paying any higher price. You can manually override the shift points anyway, if you don't like when the bike shifts.

My local dealer even has leftover 13s and 14s. You could perhaps even get one of those years for an even better price.

I'm brand new to this forum (I've been lurking for a while), but I was in a similar situation. I was able to get a new 2015 for $6800 plus tax, which sold me on the older model. The differences didn't justify the huge savings.

Back in March, I had the opportunity to buy a 2015 DCT ABS immediately or order and wait many months for a 2016 DCT ABS. I decided to wait. Here is was swayed me:

1. The dealers I talked to were not interested in giving all that much of a discount on the 2015 models.

I simultaneously negotiated a 2015 price and a 2016 price. That's really easy to do when the MSRP is the same and you know there's $500 factory-to-dealer incentive. In the end, the best price difference I could negotiate was only $900 OTD difference. $7599 OTD for the 2015 and $8500 OTD for the 2016. When I realized they weren't going to take minimal profit on the 2015 and give me the $6000-$6500 prices I've seen elsewhere, I pushed hard for a good price on the 2016 even though I ended up paying more.

So, for my $900 I get in order of importance/value, to me:

2. A revised DCT with two new S modes, and although it is not exactly clear: "Adaptive Clutch Capability Control", and some kind ascent/decent detection in the shifting algorithm.

3. A nicer looking and sounding muffler. The one thing I always thought looked out of place and 'cheap' on the NC700X series was that tin can of a muffler.

4. A higher windscreen. I'm 6'0" with a long torso and regular legs. Turbulence hits me square in the face on the 2012-2015 models. Hoping the slightly taller screen will put it over.

5. Bigger Frunk. I wear a medium Shoei Neotec, it fits fine in existing models, but every bit of space counts.

6. LED tail light. Looks brighter than previous models. I had planned on installing extra LEDs at the back, but maybe I won't have to.

7. Frunk rails. Might be useful. Maybe Honda will release a bag that fits them.

Now that I've had the opportunity to review the Service Manual, here are more extras I didn't expect:

8. Wire on the Option B harness that leads to the display for heated grips. Not sure what this does, not sure if analog or digital.
If it's like every other thing on the display, it's probably an LED to tell you the grips are on. Could be used for other things... maybe I'll make it flash like an alarm....

9. High beam line in the Option A harness. My plan for this bike was to wire up some hi/lo beam accessory lighting, Denali D2 or other. Now it's easier.
Honda might even release some accessory lights to go with the light bar.

So there you go. If you can get a decent price on a 2015 that's worth more than those things I listed above, I'd say do it.

Otherwise get a 2016 if it's not too outrageous a difference in price FOR YOU.

Super... Any delivery date on the new 2016? All my local dealers have told me they are unsure as to when they will be in stock, and I reached out to corporate Honda, and they couldn't (or wouldn't) provide me with a release date. Just curious if you have been given a date when your ordered bike arrives. Thanks....

There is a dealer in Grapevine Texas with a manual and dct 2016 on their floor. I've taken a look at them twice now since they got them about a week ago Friday. Good looking bike, for sure. I'm sitting on their OTD price and strongly considering it. They also have the 2016 VFR1200x (x2)...

Thanks... I guess they are trickling into dealers... Nothing here in NC or surrounding areas. I had originally heard April was the time frame and was hoping some made it off shore before the quake affected production.

I took delivery of my 2016 DCT just over two weeks ago, so hopefully you'll start to see more of them in the dealerships soon. My dealer has '14 & '15 manuals still on the floor, and then got both a manual and a DCT '16 model in, the latter of which belongs to me :D

Reviews I have watched of European Riders that have the 2016 also indicate that the front suspension is much improved. I don't think Honda released anything regarding this because they don't want to admit to the poor performance of the front suspension on all models prior to the 2016 one. When I bought my 2015 model in December of 2015 there wasn't any indication of what the 2016 model was going to have and I wasn't willing to wait until this summer for a 2016. I think the biggest difference for me would have been the vastly improved latest version (Version 3) of the DCT and the improved suspension would have swayed me to the 2016 regardless of the price differential. The new pipe, bigger frunk, and led tailights are more cosmetic than performance upgrades, but they are nice extras.

Thanks for the info on the front suspension. I guess those European reviewers don't know what they are talking about. The dude was riding a NC750X though. Not a NC700X. Not sure there would be any difference.

Last edited:
I don't believe the suspension upgrades (showa dual bending valves and preload adjustable rear shock) are available in the USA market.
Can you confirm that FezUSA?

The US models did not get the suspension upgrades. Honda never "hid" this or did not mention it - all of the 2016 changes to styling, suspension, and lighting were reported on the Honda Worldwide corporate website last November IIRC and all the media reviews over the winter and spring mentioned them (or lack of them in the USA).

Given the price point the press reviews of the 2012 NC700X were very positive even on the suspension. The NC700/750 models have been the best selling European Honda model for 4 years, in the top 10 selling motorcycle model same time frame, was Bike of the Year 2012 in a UK magazine, was in the running for BOTY in a US magazine. MCN gave it top reviews in late 2012. All with original suspension and DCT software. Once you know the 2012-2015 rear suspension is adjustable and invest a few hundred in a fork upgrade the 12-15 US model suspension is probably the equal or better than the 2016 OEM which we didn't get anyway.

Last edited:
Back