• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New NC700

Park2chr

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all. New to the forum after researching and browsing the forum as a guest for months. The community here seems awesome and that was one of my designing factors in buying this bike :)

Quick question!

I'm looking into the Calci windshield with Dales bolts, Oxford heated touring grips, kaoko cruise control, barkbuster hand guards (non storm).

Does anyone have this? Recommendations?? Any input?

Thank you! Hopefully I'll have pics this winter. This is just the beginning :)

Welcome. From MN, where abouts you at? I'm in Mounds View area.

I have the storm hand guards now, I wanted the biggest coverage for riding in the cold I could get, they do OK for blocking the wind, and they are pretty great at keeping the bugs off my gloves.

I got a madstad windshield, no regrets, never tried any other aftermarket shields.

I've opted out of heated anything so far (though around this time of year I do regret that, some day I'll get the heated jacket/gloves/pants/socks/helmet/etc.)

I got a cramp buster style thing instead of a throttle lock (My dad bought them as a left/right set, didn't like the right one on his goldwing so he gave it to me, I did not think it would help, but it really does.)

I got a CalSci medium, clear, windscreen and it's great (I'm jsut under 6', 225lbs, 32" inseam and the medium hits just below my chin ... no wind buffeting at all). I'm using the stock mounting hardware (CalSci is now using a bracket system to mount). I had it at interstate speeds a number of times and seems quite sturdy.

I just put on Oxford premium touring heated grips ... haven't had to use them for cold, but they do get very warm.
I also put a Sargent seat on after an 8 hour ride on the stock seat. Much better and eliminates that annoying "slide forward."

For hand guards, I just couldn't bring myself to pay almost $200 for two pieces of plastic and a mounting bar, so I went with these: Clear Wind Mirror Thread Hand Guard Protector for Honda Suzuki Kawasaki Yamaha | eBay

which look like the same one National Cycle sells for $90 and other sell for as much as $130. As some point, I just gotta say "no" to overpriced plastic parts just because they go on a motorcycle.

I just wanted something to cut the windchill as I don't see me going off road anytime.

Lastly, just ordered the SM Motech crash bar from revzilla.

Anglachel, From Cokato, west of the cities by about 45 minutes. My buddy and I really enjoy doing brewery crawls and actually might come that way some day if you'd like to meet up! We also plan on doing a fair share of trips up north to the north shore and boundary water area to explore some of the rural trails around there (and camp). He's more of a v-strom rider, but I'm trying to convert him. He's probably going to get an Africa twin next year after the first year production.

I was debating on getting the storm hand guards - except for from what I read they don't work with many large windshield. But maybe with The Calsci medium windshield they would?

Greg,
Thanks for the insight! I am definitely going to look at the link you provided as an alternative for the Barkbusters. They are VERY expensive for a piece of plastic like you said. I'm hoping to do a great deal of cross-country trips, but also don't want to be afraid of the forest roads and "scenic" trails :)

My barkbusters Just barely touch the big madstad I got (there is a thread with photos... somewhere.)
I need to get some risers to make it all fit perfectly.

I think the calsci is narrower than the madstad so the storms might work fine.
Also I think the barkbuster plastic is pretty competitively priced, it's the metal on the barkbusters that is the costly part.

Personally I opted to pay the extra because I wanted to protect the brake and clutch levers, but to each their own , there are actually 4 trim levels, and I suspect they all use the same metal braces.
NC 750X (non-DCT model) - Barkbusters

That's kind of where I'm at. I seldom buy anything brand new because of the depreciation but I splurged and bought the NC. It may be worth for the miles and abuse I plan to put on this thing :)

I also use the Storm guards and like them as far a throttle lock this one is the most brilliant and easiest to use for $20. If you want a Kaoko throttle lock I have one I will sell for $70 never used, PM me if interested.

Last edited:
TCrider I will totally in a couple weeks. Do you still have the instructions too? If not maybe I can probably find youtube videos.

I do the cruse control was give to me when I purchased the bike as the previous owner did not get around to installing it. I will put it on hold for a couple of weeks after that it will go into the For Sale listing.

My recommendation: move south! Then you can abandon the heated grips & get a brakeaway cruise!

(Do whatever seems best & enjoy that bike!)

Back