• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New "somewhat" owner in Sandy Eggo, California

tooblekain

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everybody,

My name is Matt and my girlfriend (Sofia) just bought a 2013 NC700X several hours ago "by accident."

A little background of us. We both race motorcycles in the club level for Chuckwalla Valley Motorcycle Association (CVMA). CVMA holds races at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway, located in Desert Center, CA (about an hour east of Indio). She races in the Lightweight class (i.e SV650 classes) as a licensed expert and I used to race in the Middleweights (inline 4 600s, 675 triples, 848 twins, etc) with my 2006 Triumph Daytona 675 until I had a really bad crash in my 2nd weekend of racing. My crash was due to a rider ahead panicking on a turn and practically parking it where i was entering close to 100mph. I basically ran into him even after slowing down as much as I could and suffered a compound fracture on my right tibia and fibia and now have a rod and a few screws. I realized that the Amateur Middleweight class is a meatgrinder and the talent range is too broad to the point where it is borderline dangerous. I decided to downgrade to a Ninja 250 as a racebike because they are much cheaper to race and I get a kick out of killing the 600 and 1000cc sportbikes on the track when doing trackdays.
The Daytona 675 was my first bike and I regret it. I crashed it more than a handful of times but actually eventually got used to and good on it until I had my bad crash. It had a good life. I didn't have my crash, I probably would have been one of the amateur middleweigts for podium contention.

I got back to racing in January 2013 (after being cleared to ride from the last injury that put me out of commission for 10 months) and after only completing 2.5 race weekends was already eligible to bump up to expert status. My 2.5 race weekends as an amateur I was seeing myself as one of the top 3 finishers, but the 250 class (aka ultralightweight class) race the experts an amateurs together so officially I was finishing within top 10 our of 20+ riders.

I also commute on a 2007 Triumph Bonneville that I had brand new with zero miles since April 2008 and have racked up 49,000 miles as of today.

I am pretty active on forums such as Triumph675.Net, wwwtriumphrat.net, So Cal Motorcycle Forum , So Cal sportbike Forum, California sportbike forum, California motorcycle forum, www.newbonnevilleriders.com, etc. I have contributed a lot to these forums. Highlights include a very detailed review of the Dunlop Q2s when they first came out (doing testing trackside), detailed review of Pirelli Diablo Superbike Slick Pros (slick trackday tires), Michelin Power Cup DOT race tires, DIY oil pressure gauge using parts from Summit Racing (basically saving over $100 if you bought a kit from other places), giving technical and mechanical help and advice, etc.

I tend to be a lot more active on the forums than my girlfriend so I will help out as much as I can using my knowledge I have attained from 7 years of riding and working on my own and many other people's bikes. I have told my girlfriend to create an account here also.

My girlfriend started out on an SV650 and then within a few months traded it for a 2009 a CBR 600RR. I actually met my girlfriend at the track. We started doing trackdays together and it was to the point where pretty much every trackday she was crashing. She had an epiphany asking what she is doing and realized that if she wants to continue riding and not spending most of her money repairing her bike, she should take a step back. She got back into riding SV650s on the track and on the street. Eventually she started doinga lot more trackdays and quickly became faster on her SV than she ever was on her CBR600RR. She eventually weened off riding due to having too many of her friends get hurt, paralyzed, or die on the street as well as realizing that it's not worth the risk to ride the twisties as aggressive.

As time passed, she always went back and forth between different street bikes such as a Yamaha FZ-8, Triumph Street 675, Triumph Daytona 675, CBR1000, Triumph Tiger 800XC, Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler......the list goes on and on. This has been happening for a couple years now.

My girlfriend and I are huge track junkies and love working on our bikes together. We have attained vast knowledge and experience.

Up until a couple weeks ago, she started talking about needing to save money on her commute to work (since she drives a F-150) 25 miles each way. She was talking about buying a new car but couldn't stomach the 30K+ cost for a hybrid. I told her about the Honda NC700X and that it gets about 70 MPG and the total cost out the door would be less than $10K.

We decided to just check them out and the local dealership was actually selling them for $1500 less than MSRP and Honda had special financing. After a couple hours we were out the door with the bike in the bed of my girlfriend's truck. She is already planning on installing auxiliary lights, a top case, and possibly a new windscreen. I told her to ride it first and see what she may need for mods now versus later.

Sorry for the long post but I am excited to join this forum and am glad to see my girlfriend riding on the street again and not just the track.

Welcome to the forum to both of you!

How tall is your GF? This bike is kinda tall.. but there are lowering links available.. which you probably are already aware of. Lots of great info on this forum for any accessory you might need.

Glad to have you part of the forum smiley.jpg

Welcome to the forum to both of you!

How tall is your GF? This bike is kinda tall.. but there are lowering links available.. which you probably are already aware of. Lots of great info on this forum for any accessory you might need.

Glad to have you part of the forum View attachment 6106

My girlfriend is about 5'4." She is perfectly fine with it. Her SV650 race bike geometry has been really messed with by Racetech and before it was high also. She is used to tall bikes. Plus, once you get going it doesn't matter. I do no like lowering links because it will mess with the geometry and the bike will turn slower. I may need to teach her to read the terrain and lean and put her foot down depending on the angle of the terrain to make it easier. I'm 5'6" and my Bonneville has been raised significantly due to putting ZRX1100 rear shocks that has raised it over an inch above stock and the F3 fork conversion I did to it also raised the front.

Hey all! "THE GirlFriend" here!

Thanks, but so far I am ok with the height. The low CG makes it easy to manage. I don't want to mess with the geometry by lowering it... I would like to take it on some trails so maintaining the clearance is pretty important to me.

Also, My SV is kinda high, so it's not a stretch for me, as Matt said. Here's me on my SV at Spring Mountain...
2013-05-26 SMMR.jpg

I am really looking forward to getting to play with my NC ...As in work is suffering right now!

--edited to be 'THE' Girlfriend per bamamate's recommendation

Last edited:
Welcome guys - and yeah, this bike saves some money. My total commute is about a third of yours, Sophia (my daughter is Sophie or the frunkmonkey, btw and another girl that loves to ride) and my gas savings over driving my van all will all but pay for the bike in about 4 years.

hi from blighty , knee down!!
good grief the only time that I will me knee down is when I drop ma teef and to pick them up.;)

Back