• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

"Off road" versus other bikes in the class

No exhaust damage. I separated my right shoulder on impact, and for every action there is a opposite reaction. So, I fell over on the left side.

For a trip to Alaska, this is traveling lite for someone who camps out every night and will be on the road for over a month.

053.jpg

The stuff on the rear seat is my camping gear and it is lite.

nortwestrider.jpg

Nortwestrider and his wife stayed in motels for their Alaska trip. They were on 2 separate bikes. Other than my passenger seat with the tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad in a Givi compression bag, we carried about equal loads. You learn after 50 years of traveling to go as lite as possible, and throw the rest away.

Last edited:
I traded in my 2009 BMW G650gs for a 2013 Honda NC700x (clutch model) and anywhere the g650gs can go, the NC700x can go. Anyone with good offroad skills can take most bikes and ride them off-road; any inexperience off roader is going to drop their bike off road, no matter the bike. The NC700x is heavier than the g650gs but easier to pick up (lower COG); even though both bikes have gas tank under the seat, the NC700x faux tank is an empty trunk while the G650gs, half of its faux tank is the oil reserve tank (which actually holds most of the oil-wet sump), with a slightly larger radiator (higher too) than the NC700x.

I think there are a lot of good observations shared in this thread already. It really depends on your comfort
level with the particular bike and expectations. If you really want off road prowess look for the lightest weight and best suspension. If you want road ability look for plush ergonomics and the motor that can do the job.

I have not found a bike that meets my expectations of a do it all machine. The closest one was my recently sold Yamaha Wr250R. It worked everywhere, much better off road. Not near enough motor to do serious freeway. One two hundred-fifty mile day kicked my butt. The ride home was the only freeway and it was into a head wind. That's when I decided the 250 had to go. My BMW 650 X-Challenge is 350 lbs of pork off road. It vibrates a bit to much in the bars and the fuel range it pitiful around 100 miles. It will go most places you care to take it but a real dirt bike, it is not.

Nortwestrider and his wife stayed in motels for their Alaska trip. They were on 2 separate bikes. Other than my passenger seat with the tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad in a Givi compression bag, we carried about equal loads. You learn after 50 years of traveling to go as lite as possible, and throw the rest away.[/QUOTE]

K-bar, G-string, and (1) MRE is all I need for the month.....ha, ha.

Back